Sony A7 /A7r hand on video at TheCameraStoreTV

Apparently this is the biggest hit at the photo expo in NYC right now.

I was just there, and there was indeed a crowd around the A7 table.
It is nice and all, but really, it just feels like a nex 7 with a hump. The evf is good, but not good enough to manual focus without aids, and there is a 1s black out after each shot. That would just drive me crazy, but I wasn't really going to buy one anyway.

I was just there, and there was indeed a crowd around the A7 table.
It is nice and all, but really, it just feels like a nex 7 with a hump. The evf is good, but not good enough to manual focus without aids, and there is a 1s black out after each shot. That would just drive me crazy, but I wasn't really going to buy one anyway.

1 second delay of evf ? really?
oh man I will go nutz!

1 second delay of evf ? really?
oh man I will go nutz!

I meant the time the image freezes after you take a shot, not the delay before the shot. There may be some setting that affects that, but I only played with it for a few minutes, so I don't know.
Take my opinion with a grain of salt, as evf's are not my cup of tea. Just don't expect it to handle differently from other similar cameras out there. Perhaps it was only half a second, but it was too long for my taste.
The image quality is undoubtedly excellent.

Isn't that just the preview picture? This sounds like it anyway. If I use my Nex without preview there is a short black-out but it goes on, if I have it set to 2s preview it seems to behave like you describe.

Ty Stephen, for sending those lenses to Huff to try next week on A7r :) cv 12 and 15 results will be really interesting.

Plus 1.. Steve gave u a shout out on his blog about this... Can't wait to c his results w/ what u lent him.

Gary

Isn't that just the preview picture? This sounds like it anyway. If I use my Nex without preview there is a short black-out but it goes on, if I have it set to 2s preview it seems to behave like you describe.

I suspect u are right, it maybe the image preview. If this was there w/o it, I would think we would be hearing about it from those that have had the pre-production in their hands already.

Gary

Oh I see.
So like taunting?

I don't undertand why anyone would expect Canon, Leica, Nikon… anyone really to come "beat" Sony at anything really.
Sony is one of the biggest and most powerful companies in the world. CaLeickon combined have less resources than Sony.
Why is it any surprise or rights to bragging that Sony get's to this point first?
Taunting… really?
This camera is making folks kinda wacky :p

Sony might be bigger than Nikon and Canon but not bigger than Mitsubishi or Suzuki compared to them Sony is the dwarf and you can bet that they support their small Optical branch.

When it comes to shooting photos on land.. I am still all about 120mm film so this won't impact me there.

But for shooting underwater while scuba diving... this looks really compelling. The housings for DSLRs are ridiculously expensive (usually $3000+ for the aluminum ones). For smaller cameras like this, the housings cost 1/2 the price.

Excited to see what Nauticam comes out with for this camera.

That said, fast autofocus is the name of the game with U/W shooting. Also, we need really good macro glass and really good wide angle glass, otherwise there's no point.

Nikon sales are down 33%. I think Sony could be a threat in a few years if they keep at it.

Sony profits are terrible. Leica makes more. Sony has been laughed at for a decade by still shooters.

The A7r is the biggest tech coup in the digital camera age. Wake up. What do you think all the fuss is about?

as to taunting, it's derigueuer on many subjects here, but I'm not taunting. After years of hearing the E mount laughed at, I'm gloating :)

Word on street: A7r now sold out in US till Jan.

@jsrockit look at those samples. A7r up till now has been thought to be not a viable primary system camera, like 5D, because of AF performance. Yes I hate AF, but pros use it alot. However, it's now clear that A7r+LAEA4+alpha glass gives AF speed and IQ second to no DSLR.

Metabones has some.

They may be a bit high, not sure. You can find nex adapters for ANY mount on ebay for around 20 bucks which work perfectly fine. Most go a tad past infinity just to be sure they get there, so you have to be careful when focusing landscapes.

However, spend alot more and you can get an adapter with a helicoid built in. This will allow very close focus of M lenses, which are sick that way. :)

google: Hawks helicoid

I think voigtlander has one now too.

The hawks has infinity perfect.

The question is how good are the colours from the A7R? Are they better than Fuji? If not I'll wait for a Fuji version

Back