Sony a7 iii

dp13

Local time
8:09 PM
was just announced. The original a7 I have had for over four years. It has been the single best camera I have ever bought.

I will be getting the new upgrade, especially for the new battery and IBIS.

Anyone else interested in the a7 iii?

I considered it, but I'd be inclined to go with the ii at $900 less. Or even a used ii, which may be plentiful soon.

John

I bought the A7SII last March, in part because I knew my M9 was going to eventually go in for the sensor replacement, in part for its lowlight capabilities. No regrets. But if I were going to make the decision this spring, I'd likely go for A7 III. I don't do video, which is apparently a strength of the A7S series. I would really like the touch autofocus, the faster autofocus, and the much better battery life. And it looks like the lowlight capabilities with the new sensor would be plenty good enough for my needs.

Seems like a lot of camera for where it’s priced in the market.
Dual slots, New battery, New rigid mount, 10fps, full connectivity .... It’s pretty evolved for $2k.
With these new features, Sony must have the A9ii ready as this a7iii will certainly take some sales away from their “pro” body

Almost bought a demo A7Rii from adorama today. Glad I read the news before I left the house!

.. New rigid mount..
Wait, what?
I knew the original A7 inexcusably had the silly putty plastic mount. But I thought that Sony fixed that in the A7II. Now it has another more rigid mount? This time it's fixed? Or once the A7iV comes out in 18 months, it will have an even more rigid (this time we mean it!) mount?

Been eying a7ii past winter but because didn't have much use for it, managed not to buy. With new prices now coming, I might have to give up and get it :rolleyes:

It looks superb, I will buy it when the A74 comes out or maybe later, my a7 is working fine and mostly I don't feel the need to upgrade yet. Though I do like the idea of 2 SD slots and being able to sort of back up as I go though.

The other thing for me is weight. The older I get the more I value light and nimble. The series just keeps getting heavier:

A7 - 416g
A7ii - 556g
A7iii - 650g

John

had the A7RII, downsized to the original A7 as felt light I didn't need the features that the newer A7x provides.

Seems like a lot of camera for where it’s priced in the market.
Dual slots, New battery, New rigid mount, 10fps, full connectivity .... It’s pretty evolved for $2k.
With these new features, Sony must have the A9ii ready as this a7iii will certainly take some sales away from their “pro” body
I doubt the A7III is going to take away many A9 sales. 24MP vs. 42MP.

For me it's all about being able to use my rangefinder lenses. I can continue to do that without IBIS or a better battery, or a new cam, but I do believe the backlit sensor does better with adapted lenses and I would like a silent shutter option.
I mentioned that I will upgrade, which I see myself doing, just not in the immediate future. I also am not happy with the continual gain in weight of the series...however I think a lot has to do with IBIS and the new larger battery, both things that may be worth their weight, at least to me.
The current prices of the a7 II are the best I've ever seen and tempting for the IBIS, but no silent shooting. You can get a new 7r ii for $1900 on eBay, but I don't want those huge files. I also shoot Fuji, but I can't see the X-H1, which does have IBIS, in my future just compared to the a7iii.
In any event thanks for the comments.

Back