Sony a7 iii

For me it's all about being able to use my rangefinder lenses. I can continue to do that without IBIS or a better battery, or a new cam, but I do believe the backlit sensor does better with adapted lenses and I would like a silent shutter option.

It's the thickness of the sensor cover glass that determines how well rf lenses work, especially with regular and wider lenses. And the Sonys have thick cover glass so they are not so great if you peep.
They do work great with legacy SLR lenses.

My feeling is that if you want to use Leica M lenses you ought to use a Leica M camera. Otherwise, you compromise the quality of the M lenses and, from an image quality perspective, you might as well use the brand lenses that were designed for the body.

I recently bought an A7ii to use with a manual focus Loxia 50mm, just to see what the Sony thing is all about. I'm 10 lenses and 3 bodies into Fuji and doubt I will jump ship. BTW, I appreciate the double SD card slots on the Fuji bodies and now the Sony A7iii, but when if ever did you have an SD card fail?

I recently bought an A7ii to use with a manual focus Loxia 50mm, just to see what the Sony thing is all about. I'm 10 lenses and 3 bodies into Fuji and doubt I will jump ship. BTW, I appreciate the double SD card slots on the Fuji bodies and now the Sony A7iii, but when if ever did you have an SD card fail?

Ironically in my Fuji X-T20. It just returned from Edison, N.J. repair facility in an amazing 16 days. Destroyed a few cards for me. Entire motherboard replaced, ($100), entire top of camera replaced as flash got damaged ($150), and labor ($140). Fortunately it was all covered under warranty except for $25 shipping.

I enjoy using the RF lenses on the Fuji too. You know Fuji even wants you to do this because they make only one adapter and it's for M-mount lenses. It is so nice the way you can adjust for lens corrections and identify the focal length of the lens for exif info. It is just I enjoy using them more on the Sony. The EVF is the best I've ever used and manual focus is so easy with ability to magnify very close.

I've been using an A7 and then A72 for the past year. The A7 was purchased as a film scanner on a Leica BEOON. Next thing I know I'm throwing M glass on it and seeing the beauty of this body as a second/back to my digital M. Sold the Fuji X100T as my take-to-work camera.

When the A72 hit $1K new I jumped for the the better body and IBIS which is very nice for a steady VF when manually focusing.

Saw an A7III at the show a few weeks back. For manual focusing the A73 was a bit better than my A72 despite the same EVF specs. This was the first time I tried an A7RIII. Wow... for us manual focusers the EVF on the A7R3 (and A9) is another magnitude better, especially when used in bright sunlight.

Rented the A7R3 for a few days. The A72 (A7) sensor still holds its own from 1600 down, but the video and higher ISO was pretty stunning. 42MP is overkill for me.

If the A7III had the EVF of the A7R3 (A9) I would jump in a skinny minute. If I can hold off here's hoping for the nicer EVF in an 24MP A74.

I thought I would wait until the a7 stopped working but I decided to purchase the a7iii. Even though I did not really want the a7ii, having essentially the same sensor as my a7, it was very tempting as it has been $1098 for body only recently and it does have IBIS.
I have only just recently received it and started setting it up. My initial impressions are rather ecstatic. I am looking forward to taking it up to Alice's Restaurant today for the antique cars and motorcycles that always show, and trying out my ZM 35/2, my favorite lens on the a7.

Back