Sony A7 Trade in Deal - A7 about to be DISCONTINUED ?

I have an old Nikon D70s that I'd love to get rid of, unfortunately it's not among the cameras that can be traded. Damn.

Just as well--I'll wait for a curved sensor ILC with a 3-layer sensor.

..... I looked at this offer when it first came out, they did not have my Panasonic GF1 listed as a possible trade in, so I took a pass.

They most likely have some discounts in the future when the a7 / a7R replacements get announced.

is there anyone short of a photographic ostrich who thinks that mirrorless cams don't have a shelf life measured in months, if not weeks? of course it'll be replaced and, if sony does their usual hyperspeed product cycle thing, right soon.

They had a similar deal in March - $300 off an A7 or A7R with the trade of any digital camera. Focus Camera had a better deal: $300 trade in on any digi camera, and $650 off an A7R, FE 55/1.8, HVL-F60M and other goodies (small bag, monopod, SD card, etc...)

So I took a chance (negative reviews and all) and thankfully everything went well.

Discontinued? Hardly likely. Sony has a record of keeping FF cameras around for at least two years. The A99 is still in production (though rumored to soon be replaced), and that is a camera from 2012.

Pushing the E-mount system as hard as they could? Yes they are, and right they should.

Sony doesn't want the E-mount cameras to be backups, they want them to be the photographer's main, working body - hence this trade-in program. You're (hopefully) switching to the E-mount system via the trade in, and not taking up E-mount bodies as a universal digital back.

Discontinued? Hardly likely. Sony has a record of keeping FF cameras around for at least two years. The A99 is still in production (though rumored to soon be replaced), and that is a camera from 2012.

" ... at least two years." Now there's a commitment to warm the consumer. Wondering how long they'll be repaired by Sony :(

You have a point with the history of the A99, but take a 2nd look. Its been a sales disaster. Why upgrade them when they are not selling ? Good money after bad?

The Sony A7 series has been phenomenally successful and now its the target of soon to be Photokina imitators. Now is arguably the time to make sensor improvements aka an even more friendly M sensor with better controls and set Sony A7 series sales on fire again.

Time will tell. Watching the camera wars is a favorite past time of mine.

Stephen

" ... at least two years." Now there's a commitment to warm the consumer. Wondering how long they'll be repaired by Sony :(

If we're talking about Sony support I had an early 90s Minolta 85mm serviced by Sony in Japan in 2012. And they cleaned a used 135mm STF for me just weeks ago, at minimal cost.

Maybe they have been particularly nice to me, but I don't have a single word against Sony's support for cameras and lenses.

You have a point with the history of the A99, but take a 2nd look. Its been a sales disaster. Why upgrade them when they are not selling ? Good money after bad?

The Sony A7 series has been phenomenally successful and now its the target of soon to be Photokina imitators. Now is arguably the time to make sensor improvements aka an even more friendly M sensor with better controls and set Sony A7 series sales on fire again.

Stephen

Not successful in the U.S. The A99 has been selling well in Asia, China and Japan in particular - not as well as the E-mounts, but well enough for Sony to be pushing new super-teles and continue efforts to brand A-mount as a professional's choice. I am led to believe that there will be an A99II before Christmas, sporting the A7r's 36mp sensor.

Personally I find it hard to believe that the A7 will have a shorter shelf life than the NEX-7...And this really isn't much of a discount, considering that the A7 can be readily purchased, with warranty and extra accessories, for less than $1,200 in Japan and less than $1,100 in Hong Kong.

Sony doesn't want the E-mount cameras to be backups, they want them to be the photographer's main, working body

then they'd better do something about the lenses...

Where is the 24- 70 2.8? Despite what Sony may think, f4 is not the new f2.8. Despite the great IQ of the bodies...s

They make a 35mm prime but only offer f2.8? You'd expect f2.0 at least...

Meanwhile Fuji does a 23mm f1.4 (equivalent of 35mm in APS) for their X line..... not FF but very attractive

I don't think this indicates anything about the A7, as sony has offered extremely similar discounts before.

I agree with everyone who has pointed out the relatively weak sales of the A7 series overall, but I also think Sony knew that would be the case going into the launch. They've been working to build their brand for a long time, and I don't think the sales numbers have shocked them.

If we're talking about Sony support I had an early 90s Minolta 85mm serviced by Sony in Japan in 2012. And they cleaned a used 135mm STF for me just weeks ago, at minimal cost.

Maybe they have been particularly nice to me, but I don't have a single word against Sony's support for cameras and lenses.

"... cameras and lenses ... "

Lens cleaning, sure. Lens service is not hard to offer, especially CLAs. It's camera support I had in mind. Even with their volume, Canon curtails service of their 1-series bodies after 8 years. We'll see how Sony serves.

then they'd better do something about the lenses...

Where is the 24- 70 2.8? Despite what Sony may think, f4 is not the new f2.8. Despite the great IQ of the bodies...s

They make a 35mm prime but only offer f2.8? You'd expect f2.0 at least...

Meanwhile Fuji does a 23mm f1.4 (equivalent of 35mm in APS) for their X line..... not FF but very attractive

I'm not sure a F2.8 24-70 will suit the size of the A7 bodies. There is professional, and there is profession - and I suspect people who need to work with fast zooms, especially tele zooms will not consider small bodies in the first place. For people like me who don't mind an all-prime setup, the A7 is just about the right size.

And I agree, F2.8 is SLOW for an AF 35mm. But it is a stellar lens, and I believe Sony has a 35mm F1.4 in the works. Making a 35mm F2 would probably cause RX1 sales to immediately tank, something Sony no doubt wanted to avoid - note that Fuji's fast 35mm equivalent did not appear until the system was almost three years old, and after two iterations of the X100.

"... cameras and lenses ... "

Lens cleaning, sure. Lens service is not hard to offer, especially CLAs. It's camera support I had in mind. Even with their volume, Canon curtails service of their 1-series bodies after 8 years. We'll see how Sony serves.

Yes. Sony does not have an established professional service outside of Asia - something I mentioned to the Sony guys during an event in Hong Kong. They really need their own version of NPS to cater to working pros, instead of offering individual service packages.

I've sent my NEX-7 for one final round of service before I simply use it until it dies. Granted, I've been putting way too much stress on the body, and am quite surprised by the fact that it still shoots after 150,000 clicks in two years (and a rough trip to Siberia). We'll see how this goes.

Stephen

more friendly M sensor would be fantastic, but don't hold your breath.

What we may see is a nex-5 sized FF, and maybe that sensor would be more friendly, if we are lucky.

Like so many big companies, sony is limited by internal politics, which I think blind them to the obvious.

Back