Sony "Digital Mamiya 7" Medium Format Mirrorless rumor...

I love this bit ...

"Reminder (SR = Sonyrumor):
SR1=probably fake rumor
SR2=rumor from unknown sources
SR3=50% chance it is correct
SR4=rumor from known sources
SR5=almost certainly correct!
"

... everywhere there are rumours or the rumour of rumours

if this materializes, just wait the Hasselblad clone pop up year or two later with wooden grip and 5x price.

Hopefully they are not going to ruin it with a lossy 11bit RAW compression.

I would still prefer a A7r with more quiet shutter, less shutter lag and 14bit RAW.

How is this a "digital Mamiya 7"?

- no rangefinder
- fixed lens
- smaller imaging area (44mm x 33mm vs 6x7)
- lower resolution and dynamic range than is routinely achievable from a 6x7 negative

Once again, here we have a company coming up with a solution to problem that doesn't exist. This may be an outstanding digital camera, but if I want a Mamiya 7, I'll shoot my *actual* Mamiya 7.

How is this a "digital Mamiya 7"?

- no rangefinder
- fixed lens
- smaller imaging area (44mm x 33mm vs 6x7)
- lower resolution and dynamic range than is routinely achievable from a 6x7 negative

Once again, here we have a company coming up with a solution to problem that doesn't exist. This may be an outstanding digital camera, but if I want a Mamiya 7, I'll shoot my *actual* Mamiya 7.

Well, I didn't make it up...the site did. I would imagine its just the shape of the body that we are talking about. Of course it won't be a rangefinder. Perhaps they should have compared it to a Fuji GZ645:

gear-72.jpg

Some of us like digital, so it is interesting news.

Sounds interesting, I just don't understand the comparison to the Mamiya 7 as it will have an EVF and it is supposed to be smaller. A compact MF Digital camera with decent high iso performance would be very nice to have though

Leica S2 Killer?

Leica S2 Killer?

First the A7r as a full frame alternative to an M 240 at a fraction of the cost. Now the potential for this which will probably be a fraction of the cost of the Leica S2 but probably better performance. I think Sony is telling us something!

First the A7r as a full frame alternative to an M 240 at a fraction of the cost. Now the potential for this which will probably be a fraction of the cost of the Leica S2 but probably better performance. I think Sony is telling us something!

It's interesting that you refer to the A7r as an alternative to the M240. I don't see it that way at all. They are entirely different cameras where it matters: how the user interacts with the camera.

IMHO, the only thing the M240 and the A7r have in common is that they both use FF sensors and you put a lens on the front of them. Beyond that, they could not be more different.

The A7r is a mirrorless camera with an EVF, which has a very limited selection of lenses, and which handles 3rd party lenses with varying degrees of success. It has a mode dial, and very few dedicated knobs, buttons, or selectors. It is typical of most digital cameras; feature-laden, but correspondingly inefficient in use.

The M240 is a rangefinder camera (for better or worse), which has a massive selection of native lenses (and can handle 3rd party lenses, but why?!?). f/stop is selected by a dedicated ring on the lens, shutter speed by a dedicated dial on the body. It is, to the extent that any digital camera can be, the very model of efficiency.

The cameras could not be more different. You've reduced them to the sensor inside, which, I would argue, is one of the least important parts of a camera (but the one on which most people place the greatest importance), for all but a very few photographers. Who cares if you have 36MP if using the camera isn't a joy?

Back