Sony RX1 night street photos at ISO 25,600

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSmV39bNuK4

As you can see from this video where controls are discussed (~ 4:20 minute mark) the camera offers:

- on lens aperture control
- shutter speed control assigned to a rotating dial in Manual | Shutter priority mode
- focus peaking
- "best feeling manual focus camera of this genre... almost feels like you are focusing a real lens instead of the usual focus by wire feeling"

He didn't cover changing ISO but one can assume that's easy. Other photographers (as well as Huff) have indicated that virtually every button, including all four directions of the control pad, and including the loathsome (to some) video button, can be reassigned by the user.

Complete control over exposure, and focus, to me means this isn't a point and shoot, whatever that term means. ;)

I don't care what the size is, I was talking about the quality of the image at high ISO and the fawning comments on the website like 'seeing the output at 6400 gave me a boner'.

You might not care about the size, but that is THE point of this camera. Also, what other small camera has this good of high ISo?

the more i read about this camera the more i want it.

my current lens list is 25/40/50x2/75...
i rarely use the 75 despite loving what it can do.
i use the 50 but use the 40 more and the 40 has been my 35 for years.
using wides less and less...

this camera would see about 80% use, the rx100 maybe 10% and the rd1 with my lenses the other 10%...and my film leica occasional second body use along with a digital camera.

Lynn what was so amazing? I really don't get it. The street shot he posted at 25,000 were Ok a little devoid of shadow detail, the colour ones were low noise but dull.

I guess it's a little unfortunate that he posted any photos given that people are so quick to judge without noting that this isn't the final firmware for the camera and isn't even a production version of the RX1. Plus, I suspect most people buying an RX1 who are semi serious about photography are going to shoot in RAW and that's not possible in samples until LR or Aperture are able to handle RX1 RAW files. I suspect we'll see some tweaks and improvements in the actual photos from the RX1 in a month or so and I am patiently waiting since this camera is on my radar.

Last edited:
Back