Sony RX1 night street photos at ISO 25,600

lynnb

Mentor
Local time
11:10 AM
Steve Huff has just posted some ISO 25,600 night street shots taken with the RX1 in San Francisco. All OOC JPG without NR.
The results look impressive. Take a look.

My sentiments as well, but having used Sony's EVF on the Nex-5n -it is not too bad.

I would assume that the RX1's EVF would be of equal SPEC, if not improved.

Really torn on this!

and on the other side...

i do not miss a finder on the rx100 and doubt that i would miss one on the rx1...

In all honesty, I mentioned being "torn."

My problem is that the RX100 (from many of your posts) is really appealing!

Quite different price points, of course, but that little RX100 is just so sweet (and truly pocketable)!

To be honest, if I am going to spend $2,800 (it's actually Three LARGE here in Canada) on a camera that doesn't have a tilt rear LCD, I *want* an external, tilt, EVF. I use the tilt functionality of my GXR EVF (and the NEX before it) frequently.

No question.

Huff today mentioned that the EVF to him appears better than the internal EVF on the Sony NEX-7. On the surface the OLED specs appear the same; it could be new processing (in camera or on the EVF) or the EVF/sensor pairing that has made a difference if indeed a difference appears to be the case. This sensor is capable of so much more via DRO in terms of opening up the shadows, maybe it enables that mode for the EVF?

I liked the EVF on the NEX-5N (but do miss the tilt-rear LCD) much more than the EVF I use today on the GXR. If the RX1 EVF is at least as good if not better, then I'm good with it.

Bonus: Thanks to having a proper hot shoe, unlike the NEX-5N with the silly custom EVF port and a thumb screw to affix the EVF to the camera, the new EVF can slide on and off easily and quickly. I work this way with the GXR and in many cases will opt to leave the EVF in the bag and assume this will prove to be common use with the RX1 given I have autofocus to assist me when I need/want it to.

That reminds me, Huff also mentioned manual focus with focus peaking is a pleasure to use. Now if that proves to be true in the truest sense as one who uses nothing but manual focus lenses today (M mount) I'd be absolutely delighted.

One more comment - apparently the LCD display on this camera can stand up to bright shooting conditions, something of a rarity out there. It uses Sony's new WhiteMagic display technology which they are using in their new cell phones. Both Huff and Imaging-Resource have mentioned it makes shooting out of doors actually workable in bright light.

Back on topic, those high ISO B+W look nice to me. Three stops more latitude than what I'm used to, and more like five stops more USEFUL latitude. I *am* going to like this.

That's good to know... I haven't even handled the RX100.

RX100 and RX1 - ultimate portable pair?

that thought has crept into my plans as well...i think the rx1 could very well be my ultimate camera of choice and the rx100 would be a great backup or at least allow for a bit wider/longer view.

i assume that you're referring to the evf?
i'll have to try it first before i know the answer to your question...

i wonder how many folks have tried life without a finder...specifically the rx100 with the white pixels? it works remarkably well...and one does not HAVE to hold the camera at arm's length and look like a techno geek when shooting. i hold the rx100 fairly close...

i assume that you're referring to the evf?
i'll have to try it first before i know the answer to your question...

i wonder how many folks have tried life without a finder...specifically the rx100 with the white pixels? it works remarkably well...and one does not HAVE to hold the camera at arm's length and look like a techno geek when shooting. i hold the rx100 fairly close...

Yes, the EVF. I have the NEX-5N. I used it without the EVF for three months with no problems, and after purchasing the EVF (which happens to look exactly the same as the RX1 EVF, even the same internals) I continue to use it without a problem. It perfectly complements the camera. I assume it will do the same for the RX1. Sometimes, people just have to try and let go of their tightly held beliefs and step out of their comfort zone, and see how comfortable that can be.

Back