sony rx1...yes or no?

• seriously thinking about it

Votes: 45 32.8%
  • no way

Votes: 80 58.4%
  • i don't understand why they made it in the first place

Votes: 19 13.9%

• Total voters
I'm not against that at all... but I would hope they put an EVF in them.

I like the flexibility to have a viewfinder, of the type I want, when I want it. LCD built in, EVF or OVF for eye level work as desired.

If it was a rangefinder camera then the notion of a built-in viewfinder is simple because you have to have the optics there anyway. And of course it's the very definition of an SLR. But for an all electronic camera, optical and electronic finders that clip on as needed seem to work very well for me.

G

Godfrey, there are plenty of LCD only cameras on the market for your to choose from... there are not enough mature internal EVF cameras on the market for those of us who want them. External VFs, IMO, are always accessory feeling instead of feeling like a part of the camera.

At current price, it's equivalent to 1000 rolls of film :D
I think it is an interesting move by Sony, I hope this will bring down FF prices in the future, I'm just not interested in digital at this moment

Very close to $4000 over here, not on your life. The X-Pro 1 seems cheap all of sudden (I know, I know it´s not full frame)

that seems the bigger question for me...full frame or not.

while i still have the xp-1 in the running i know that i could be happy with a 35mm lens for much of my shooting.
but would i miss other lenses and focal lengths? or would the full frame satify my imaging needs.

After the Leica announcements?

After the Leica announcements?

Ok after the Leica announcements have been digested, especially the fashion designer x2 one, I wonder how many people are rethinking the rx1 or the Fuji xe1 or even the canon m?

Rx1 still not for me but I was reading in other forum boards today, there have been comments about the rx1 and the xe1 don't look so bad.

Gary

Godfrey, there are plenty of LCD only cameras on the market for your to choose from... there are not enough mature internal EVF cameras on the market for those of us who want them. External VFs, IMO, are always accessory feeling instead of feeling like a part of the camera.

Doesn't make much difference to me. My Voigtländer 35mm OVF is rock solid on the X2, and feels just as nice as the Leica Brightline did on my old IIc and IIf bodies.

Besides, there's only been one permanently attached EVF camera that had an articulated EVF, and I love that feature when I'm working with the GXR or X2 on a copy stand. :)

Ok after the Leica announcements have been digested, especially the fashion designer x2 one, I wonder how many people are rethinking the rx1 or the Fuji xe1 or even the canon m?

Haven't committed to anything yet, but now that I see the specs of the M, I'll likely stick with my X2 and add the new M body to my kit next year.

My question about the RX1 all along has been more "is it going to be worth the difference in performance over the X2?" I'm quite happy with the X2, and the M9, so I'm in no rush to buy anything as yet. I'm waiting to see how the cameras do once in the stores.

G

Haven't committed to anything yet, but now that I see the specs of the M, I'll likely stick with my X2 and add the new M body to my kit next year.

My question about the RX1 all along has been more "is it going to be worth the difference in performance over the X2?" I'm quite happy with the X2, and the M9, so I'm in no rush to buy anything as yet. I'm waiting to see how the cameras do once in the stores.

G

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts if u get a chance to play with one in the store..

Peace
Gary

Last edited:
i wish digital sensors had flavors to choose from like type of film. Fine Grain , Contrasty , Sharp , difference in tonality , Nope all are neutral

Wait a minute. Fixed lens? I think I'll save my pennies for an M9 (or M-E). I mean, seriously, even though we're talking about a 35/2 Sonnar (yeah, yeah, I know) I prefer to experience the full range of lens performance from my small but hard-won collection of lenses that each have a character that I love on 35mm (or now we say "full frame sensor").

I will not be buying an RX1 unless it finds its way to me as a bargain. I do wish I could afford the M9, but there's a good chance I'll end up with an ME. I think 18MP is enough "sensor challenge" for me. Right now, on the digital side of things, I'm contentedly working with my Olympus EP2 at only 12.5MP. With good lenses, this has been satisfying. Still prefer my "full frame" film though.

I'm the first to admit I'm cheap and frugal -- I'm already "cutting corners" with LTM lenses on M adapters (no asph for me). Until "that day" comes when I get my M9 or ME, its film and micro4/3 (or my wife's FX DSLR;)), but that RX1 just plain doesn't make sense.

You do realise you are never going to get a simple 'yes' or 'no' around here!

Just another thread full of handwringing angst laden reasons not to buy it ... most of them not based around the word 'no!'

:D

that is wrong. The number of simple yes or no is the number of poll takers minus the number of commentators.

;)

I answered yes although it really means a qualified maybe. What would change my maybe to a yes, without redesigning the camera:

- Sony announces one or more high quality converter lenses; how about a wide angle converter turning the camera into a 28mm f/2? Or an 85mm f/2 tele?
- In depth reviews, once the Sony embargo is lifted, show excellent image quality attributed to both lens and sensor
- Close examination of the UI reveals Sony has made improvements. I've seen some screen shots and video including bits of the UI and it does look like this is *not* the NEX UI slightly rehashed.

The EVF being external doesn't phase me, although once upon a time it did. I got over that after experiencing a tilt EVF on the NEX-5N (sold that) and GXR (this is what I shoot along with a selection of M glass). Tilt EVFs offer advantages. The biggest disadvantage - they catch on the bag when retrieving. Solution: change bags.

Of course I really do wish this was an interchangeable lens camera and further wish that it was magically optimized to allow my M lenses to play well. An ILC full frame compact from Sony we may yet see, but I doubt we'll see any maker other than Leica do the work to optimize performance for M lenses. Ok, maybe Ricoh *might* produce a full frame GXR module, certainly lots of us wish they would.

Sony... I just don't see it. An ILC compact full frame camera would get its own lens range.

That said I don't think we'll see an ILC under the "Cyber-shot" banner. That camera family is all fixed lens cameras.

Which brings me back to lens converters... what if Sony builts the RX1 as the "one and only" and comes out with some very nice converters. With new found focal length flexibility, surely some naysayers will start to warm a little.

Could happen. After all, Fujifilm released a 28mm wide angle converter for the X100...

I'd love that thing actually .. with this price point is just too far away for me.
I don't think it's too expensive .. considering what comparable the Zeiss for Nex costs. An EVF would have been nice

I'd love to know how that lens performs, I wonder why it's a sonnar not a biogon .. is the sonnar design better for digital?

Add an EVF of Nex-6 type to it, you have a customer..

(24MP FF, 35mm lens, very compact body, just crop a bit, you have 50mm lens too. I would not need any other lens for street photography.)

i wish digital sensors had flavors to choose from like type of film. Fine Grain , Contrasty , Sharp , difference in tonality , Nope all are neutral

That's because all those choices are simply rendering choices, not characteristics of an imaging sensor. You can take the data captured by any sensor and tweak it to look like anything you want.

After all of the announcements, you have to hand it to Sony on this camera. Sure, I'm not buying it and I think it should have an OVF or EVF, but nobody moved small format digital photography forward as much as Sony with this camera.

Back