Spots on my M9 sensor that aren't dust or oil. . .

jamato8

Corroding tank M9 35 ASPH
Local time
6:38 AM
I looked at the sensor yesterday, after noticing what appeared to be dust on the images (the small areas we see when there is dust on the sensor). So I took out my sensor magnifier with a built in light and there were many shiny areas, not like dust or even oil. So today I attempted a cleaning with a lens pen. Nothing, they were still there so this evening I did a wet cleaning with a special fluid I have used for a few years on my Canons with great success as that is what it is designed for. Nothing, they don't move. Any it isn't dust but almost like the film over the sensor has lifted in tiny areas, slightly circular, all over the sensor. None of them clean or change character with cleaning. It seems I have one problem after another with this expensive camera.

edit: 10/16/2010 It has been found that my sensor is defective. I hope this will be a limited issue though I have read of this problem since this original post.

Last edited:
I don't have an M9, but if I did I would probably ask Leica about it. If it's affecting images, then it's a flaw, and I would expect it's covered under warranty. I'd probably leave it alone for fear of voiding that warranty.

The hassle is, is that I am in Micronesia doing work and will be here for some time. The shipping and getting from here to there is so much grunt work. But of course, if I have to I have to. I am not even sure where my receipt is. I think it is in storage in Tucson, AZ. I guess I could try and get a duplicate from the store where I bought it but who knows.

mmmh receipt or not, the camera can't be older than ~1 year, so it has to be warranty covered (except they believe you stole it, of course... :| )

Well it has been registered on the Leica site since I purchased it. Yes, it is under warranty. I can't imagine how long this will take if the sensor needs replacement. I use the camera everyday in my work here as it does a better job for me in my visual anthropology than the SLR. Just less intrusive and even kids ignore it.

Well it has been registered on the Leica site since I purchased it. Yes, it is under warranty. I can't imagine how long this will take if the sensor needs replacement. I use the camera everyday in my work here as it does a better job for me in my visual anthropology than the SLR. Just less intrusive and even kids ignore it.

hmm, I'd try and go the hard way, tell them, that you are a professional and that you demand professional service, especially from this company and at that price, and if they can't fix it quick they have to replace it in the mean time. might not work, but it's still worth a shot...

I asked them about a loaner, knowing the answer already, and they said they don't have loaners. I will have the store where I purchased the camera in the states send them a copy via email and send the camera by express mail, which is the best option here in Micronesia as we have, believe it or not, the US mail service and the same prices as in the US. I have been using the M9 a lot lately, preferring it for current work over my SLR's. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem?

Leica wanted to know if it caused problems with the images. I had already told them it caused areas like dust spots on the images. But even if it didn't, it evidence a forthcoming issue and I can't imagine it wouldn't cause some issues with resolution in the areas of the multiple spots.

But first don't assume anything without at least trying another type of wet cleaning fluid. Yours may have worked reliably for years but you may have been cleaning loose dust off for years, not oil. And different fluids may deal with different contamination errrrm....differently.

Steve

Nothing else to try here though. I have a fluid that has taken off oil from a poor job done by Canon on a 5D sensor and just about everything else but here on island, there is nothing else but maybe gas to try. I am not sure about the petroleum product gas. What do you think? (just kidding).

It isn't like oil anyway or dust. When magnifying it, it appears to be deeper than the surface, like there is a minute separation going on.

I might question the humidity here in Pohnpei, with the tremendous rainfall but I place the camera and lenses in my large Pelican case with very ample desiccant that is renewed every few days.

Last edited:
Send the camera to Leica and get it taken care of. Anything more invasive on your part could invalidate the warranty. You might pick up a used M8 or a u43 camera and resell it when the M9 is back, if you need a camera in the meantime and they will not furnish a loaner.

I have all my Canon equipment, the 7D, 5DII, 5D and a multitude of lenses but it draws attention when doing a lot of work as in visual anthropology but I don't think I want to go through the hassle of buying another camera from long distance and having it sent here. Besides I make little when I do this work. That is why I am also a critical care nurse. Well not the only reason, I am an ICU nurse because I want to help people and can with that job but it does pay the bills for the most part. Here in Micronesia it is strictly my profession on photography. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Problems with the glass cover on the sensor have been acknowledged by Leica. Leica released this at the end of July:

> Dear M9 Users,
>
> Please let me update you on the broken cover glass situation. We at Leica
> are aware of the issue and the current reported isolated instances are a
> very low proportion of the cameras delivered.
> Our colleagues both in R&D and QA are investigating and have not yet
> determined a root cause, nor it was possible to provoke a sensor to crack
> in
> our labs (temperature shock, heat, cold, humidity, mechanical bending
> etc.).
>
> Cameras found to have this fault are having the sensor assembly replaced as
> a priority (free of charge of course) and our Customer Service will
> complete
> the repair in the shortest delays possible.
>
> With my best regards,
>
> Stefan Daniel, Leica Camera AG

Marty

Problems with the glass cover on the sensor have been acknowledged by Leica. Leica released this at the end of July:

> Dear M9 Users,
>
> Please let me update you on the broken cover glass situation. We at Leica
> are aware of the issue and the current reported isolated instances are a
> very low proportion of the cameras delivered.
> Our colleagues both in R&D and QA are investigating and have not yet
> determined a root cause, nor it was possible to provoke a sensor to crack
> in
> our labs (temperature shock, heat, cold, humidity, mechanical bending
> etc.).
>
> Cameras found to have this fault are having the sensor assembly replaced as
> a priority (free of charge of course) and our Customer Service will
> complete
> the repair in the shortest delays possible.
>
> With my best regards,
>
> Stefan Daniel, Leica Camera AG

Marty

Thank you for that! While I don't think the glass is cracked, there is an issue with it. I am in a heavy work period and this is really frustrating but the way it goes.

It has been sent, along with a request to clean the junk out of the viewfinder. There are particles in there that shouldn't be there on an almost new camera. I will cross my fingers that they return it in fast order as I truly need it here for my work.

EMS should take 3 days but is expensive.

Thank you for that! While I don't think the glass is cracked, there is an issue with it. I am in a heavy work period and this is really frustrating but the way it goes.

The one I saw that was damaged looked more like yours - separation, rather than big cracks. I wonder if it's something to do with microfractures along the edges of the microlenses.

Good luck with getting it fixed and back promptly.

Marty

I hope once fixed, it stays fixed. Maybe they are working on a fix for this. I sent in all the information the the store I purchased it from is emailing them the invoice. The shutter release was also acting up, which I told them about. On soft release, it would get so soft at times that you couldn't really touch it or it would fire. At times I didn't mind it, as it was so soft as to cause no movement of the camera but for most of the time too soft. Then it would go back to normal so I never knew what the release was going to be like in soft release, "soft" or "extra, extra soft".

Good luck with the repair. Although it doesn't seem to be anything to do with the cracked sensor problem (which so far seems to have only affected a very small number of cameras, maybe 40) Leica seem to be permanently out of stock of spare sensors.

As for the shutter button this does free up with use. The dull plating on the button itself needs to be polished up with a few thousand exposures. It doesn't only affect the discreet mode but also trying to find the first pressure point on the button to lock exposure.

Steve

I sent my M9 in yesterday. I had told them where I was the last few days in correspondence via email.

Now I get an email and they state that they will only ship within the US. Now how is that for professional service? Professionals never travel to do work and need repair, as I am. I will be here in Micronesia, which is by the way, within the US Postal system as zone 8, for quite some time, up to 3 years. Even Canon USA shipped a repair back to me by EMS.

edit: well they emailed back and said they will do what they can to help. I hope that means shipping the camera back to me!

I went out shooting some late yesterday (visual anthro) and with the SLR people just respond differently. They start to freeze up or become more self conscience After a while it was ok, as the SLR is what I use in China and other areas, but it takes longer and some of the things that prompted a reason to photograph are gone.

Last edited:
Back