Spots on my M9 sensor that aren't dust or oil. . .

It has been sent, along with a request to clean the junk out of the viewfinder. There are particles in there that shouldn't be there on an almost new camera. <snip>

grrr - I came back from a recent trip and there's a rather large particle in the viewfinder, visible from the front. It isn't visible when looking through the viewfinder when shooting, so try not to think about it. Annoying to know junk will just pile up in there over time..

<snip>The shutter release was also acting up, which I told them about. On soft release, it would get so soft at times that you couldn't really touch it or it would fire. At times I didn't mind it, as it was so soft as to cause no movement of the camera but for most of the time too soft. Then it would go back to normal so I never knew what the release was going to be like in soft release, "soft" or "extra, extra soft".

That's a bummer. I've used soft release (with discreet) from day one, have only shot a few frames any other way. The trigger point has been reliable, but the shutter actuation itself isn't so smooth during its travel, especially compared to either M4 I have.

<snip>
I went out shooting some late yesterday (visual anthro) and with the SLR people just respond differently. They start to freeze up or become more self conscience After a while it was ok, as the SLR is what I use in China and other areas, but it takes longer and some of the things that prompted a reason to photograph are gone.

Indeed, probably the most significant benefit of a rangefinder.

Wish you a speedy return of your gear!! :eek:

Mr Daniels has to do this... for damage control as this shouldn't happen with a 7k camera. The reason is worrisome as R&D should have figure it out... i think they did already and mums the word.

Who is Mr. Daniels? I am out of the loop on many areas of knowledge, it would appear. :^)

I pray they do a fast turnaround. This isn't an "outing", that can also be very important, but work. The camera should be there on Monday.

I also got hot pixels, can be fixed but at time there were a number. I am not so sure about this sensor. But then grunge in the viewfinder? Come on guys. This isn't a 4 hundred dollar camera. I enjoy the M9 but . . . .

Anyway, I hope this has a good outcome and they will give "after the sale" support as they should. Canon said they couldn't ship outside of the US but when I explained that this is within the US Postal system and that I had paid good money for my Gold Professional service and that professionals aren't always going to be in the US, if that was the point of sale, they did a great job and got the camera to me in an expedient manner.

Leica usually hold their end of the bargain, they replaced Digilux 2 sensors 3 years after they went out of production.

Stefan Daniel is Division Manager, Product Management at Leica Camera Ag.

He has been incredibly open and helpful since he started there. There is no question of "mum's the word" over this issue with Leica. They admitted it and are fixing the cameras under warranty. It is incredibly hard to manage these kinds of issues when test cameras get used less and under softer conditions than production cameras, and most of all when Leica don't make the components in question.

Marty

They should have sent me a camera to test then. :^) I have had all kinds of issues from focus, hot pixels, junk in the viewfinder, easily scratched rear screen, bad sensor, . . . easily brassing. . oh I like that.

Well my sensor is bad. They will tell me in a day how long it might take but are trying to expedite it. As luck would have it, I have a sample of a fungus on a plant that I need to photograph using the Leica dissecting scope and what body that I have, or had, fits? Of course the M9. So they need the images today because they need to be emailed to pathology around the world.

I wonder how big a problem the sensor is, or what percentage or how many have noticed that they are getting tiny shiny areas as the glass separates from the sensor?

My M9 is should be shipped back to me by next tuesday. This is 10/16 in Micronesia or 10/15 in the US. Leica has been very helpful and they have kept me informed of the situation with the camera.

Last edited:
Sadly Leica has not sent my M9 back. i was emailed it would be shipped on this Tues but it didn't happen. I have extremely pressing issues here as I need to use it on a dissecting scope for 3 pathogens on some plants here that are threatening crops. I explained this to the representative of Leica and they seemed to understand, I thought, but correspondence has slowed down and shipping that was to occur by EMS on Tues, hasn't. Canon USA did a two day turn around a month ago on repair and my 5D II needed to be torn down. The pressure wouldn't be so great but there is no one else on this island that can do the imaging and two of the largest and most important crops are threatened so speed on getting images out is extremely important. No, I don't have an M9 back-up.

I've never relied on a single camera ever regardless of what it was or how old it was. Not having any kind of back-up is just asking for trouble. If it has to be done- shoot with the M2 on color negative film and have it scanned? Nearly as fast...

Write an action to spot out the defects in PS. Run it on every pic until you get it fixed.

A pain I realize, but repair is the only other possibility.

I have only one Leica dissecting scope, not two, and many people working in a small lab might have only one. In other words, if it goes bad then I have other scopes but none that take the M9 but most would not or could not afford two Leica dissecting scopes. So I have one M9 and the M2 is not here in Micronesia and there is no where to process film for the M2 anyway. There are no chemicals on island any longer and no film. To have chemicals sent here would takes months.

I have many other cameras but only the M9 fits the Leica dissecting scope and it is the only scope here that can be used with a camera.

I am not sure what lesson. I can't afford 2 M9's and film isn't an option here. The only other option would be to try and find an adapter to go from the Leica scope to my Canons but that is after the fact.

Thankfully the M9 was shipped back on the 21st and should be here early next week. I asked them to also get the particles out of the viewfinder and asked them if they could repair my scratched LCD monitor. On the last two items, I never got a reply though I asked a few times and it was in my cover letter with the camera.

Hopefully the focus will be on as that was a problem originally and the camera had to be sent in prior to have it corrected.

Sometimes you have no choice, as in taking a trip in one car and not two. This is a developing country and I provide my own equipment, of course. But I can only invest so much, so I do what I can. I have 5 Canons but won't invest more than 7 thousand in a rangefinder body.

It would be nice to find an adapter for my Canon cameras, then no worries. Maybe someone on eBay makes them.

Yes, adapters for the Canon, then no problem, though the Leica is a little better for visual anthropology also.

They replaced the CCD, cleaned the viewfinder and the correspondence has been good again. I am glad the sensor was not one of those wait 3 month types. :^)

I asked them repeatedly to fix the LCD monitor as I had a big scratch on it. That is something that could be done while they waited for the CCD. I hope it was done but I never got a reply though I asked them if it was done over and over and asked that it be done 4 times. That it would cost money is understood and not a warranty item.

Last edited:
I got my M9 back. The sensor and board that accompanies it were replaced. They cleaned the particles out of the viewfinder also. I also asked them to adjust the soft release as it is so touchy that it will multiple fire but it wasn't fixed. I also asked them to repair the LCD screen and expected a bill but they didn't replace that either though I asked them 4 times to please make sure they did.

Well I have the camera back so at least I can use it now. It would have been nice to have everything done at once since it is such a grunt getting it from Micronesia to New Jersey.

two out of 4 requested repairs done. Leica emailed back and said they are going to see why the others weren't done.

Last edited:
I so want to love this model and the company but there are too many stories like yours that make me stick to my 43 year old M4 and use other manufacturers for digital.

Best of luck with your M9 performing like you expected it to. Why Leica didn't do the other two items you requested is a wonder. They repeatedly tell us what a small company they are so they should be more personal in their customer communications. They sell extremely expensive cameras and lenses and their service *should* be 110% for the prices they charge and the service far more personal than it seems to be.

Back