Starting to ponder liquidation for M-Milestone

Wow, just doing a quick peek into ebay completed sales.

It looks like the market is dead. Not just low end prices, but no sales at all on some things that I though I might be able to bear parting with.

This makes me feel a lot better about funding future items. I'll have to make the money the old-fashioned way, by "earning" it.

I've been seriously eyeing the M9M but come to think of it, I have 3 film Leicas, great Leica lenses and a good scanner-a Nikon LS5000 with extra work (scanning) I really will not need the M9M (if I can resist the convenience of digital). All colors will be handled by digital; OMD, EP3 and RX100.

Wow, just doing a quick peek into ebay completed sales.

It looks like the market is dead.

Yes, it is significantly harder to sell things in the last 6 months. AND ebay rapes you with fees more than ever. I used to sell out of everything I posted on this site, now I cannot sell a thing on this site.

Thanks, do you mean ebay or RFF?
I haven't had much luck selling on RFF.

Vick

Both... on ebay, prices have decreased on everything... and ebay changed its fee structure so that fees get out of control on expensive items.

On RFF, I've priced things consistent with other ads I see around and nothing sells easy. No where near the interest there was last year at this same time (when everything I posted for sale sold easily).

Of course, you may have more desirable items than I've had too.

Yep, on the stuff I want, prices are high, on the things I am pondering to sell, few sales and low prices on the stuff that does close.

sigh.

I'd argue just the opposite: if your " creativity" depends upon your tools it isn't really creativity. it's gimmickry.

RobertFrank = 1 camera, 1 35mm lens, some Tri-X. with that combo he literally changed how subsequent generations think about what constitutes a photograph.

true indeed!..

New gear is all very nice and it seems to make sense to convert unused kit to cash to spend in other ways. What is far more important, IMHO, is to create the opportunity to shoot more images. That can be hard if you have done your immediate area to death, photographically, and no amount of new kit (usually) is going to change the way you view the scenery. I'm just back from12 days in the Med - most of my pictures don't cut the mustard from this trip, but this has nothing to do with the kit and everything to do with having seen most of it before and just being a bit jaded. The creativity comes from within, not from the camera, although I do agree that a change of kit sometimes gives a 'lift'. Novelty? - quite possibly!

I have been thinking about selling my M2 (but keeping my M7) in favour of of an X100. But I know that this will simply shift my picture taking from M7 to X100 to no great advantage, as far as I can see - and I know I will miss the handling experience of Leica M's.

My thoughts, for what they are worth.

Ray

I'd argue just the opposite: if your " creativity" depends upon your tools it isn't really creativity. it's gimmickry.

RobertFrank = 1 camera, 1 35mm lens, some Tri-X. with that combo he literally changed how subsequent generations think about what constitutes a photograph.

I think this is the exact counter example.
Would Robert Franck be able to do what he did with a 8x10 camera?
No
and we all agree that we are not talking gimmickry here.

Back