Stealthifying an M8 properly

Makten

-
Local time
7:21 PM
we all know the tape-tricks. But it doesn't look very good, does it?
This is how it should be done, for those with no regrets.

Just use a solvent strong enough. But be careful!

M8-antilogga.jpg

The white paint filling the logotype grooves is removed, leaving the bare black anodized metal only. Stealthy, but you still got the nice logo.

Edit: Some advice if you want to do this: The metal surrounding the logo will be totally DRY, which means it'll look shiny and very much the opposite of stealthy. But fret not, the blackness will return if you smear the surface with your (greasy) fingers or by adding a bit of grease or oil.
I rubbed a little bit too much when removing the paint, so when looking from certain angles in bright light, you can see that something's been going on.

My recommendation is to try your solvent on the bottom plate first. I used Locktite "superclean" 7063, which is for industrial use.

Last edited:
Leica's are pretty stealthy even with the M8 showing. Almost nobody in the modern world has a clue what a Leica is, much less an M8. A Canon P&S probably attracts more attention.

I still fail to understand how removing a small white logo or lettering can make a camera any less noticable?

Not to mention when you press the shutter on an M8 people start looking for the staple gun in the room! :p

I still fail to understand how removing a small white logo or lettering can make a camera any less noticable?

Not to mention when you press the shutter on an M8 people start looking for the staple gun in the room! :p

LOL, i had a similar thing happen to me the other day with the m6, someone asked me "if i heard that sound"...."what sound?" I ask. He says he "heard one of those manual counting thingys, like they use in planes to count everyone..."

The only counting I'm doing is how many frames i have left...

But surely even the invisible man needed to believe he was invisible, or what was the point, he'd have just carried on as if normal?

If removing the white paint does it, how can it be different to wearing a safari jacket to blend in, or wearing a camera vest to get rid of the bag? Suddenly crouching down to point the unidentifiable black object in front of your face at something that isn't the subject of a photograph should be a breeze.

Steve

This tip is for those of us that use tape over the logo for "reasons". Those of us that don't; please just ignore the thread. :)

You appear to be someone who keeps his camera immaculate so you obviously enjoy and value it.

If I was going to go this route though a small piece of black tape would suffice ... but each to their own as you suggest! :)

What "reasons"?

I'm very sorry, but if you fail to understand that, I can't help you. Just ignore the thread, please.

If I was going to go this route though a small piece of black tape would suffice

It does, but I chose to do it permanently and in a way that I like better. I want the camera to look good to me, but still not be seen by others.

Last edited:
I actually like the toned down style a lot. It is very under stated but not for any 'stealth' reasons.

Realistically I think most people notice just about any camera that you use. If you think they have not seen you you are probably kidding your self.

Richard

You could fill in the lettering grooves with that flourescent orange paint the road crews use to mark the locations of underground utilities. Everybody will assume that you have your kid's toy Leica and not notice you clicking away.

Pickett, tell your wife that you didn't buy the camera with your money. Your girlfriend bought it for you.

I found nail polish remover works well but it takes hours and hours. Worth it in the end I suppose if you like that look, which I do...

You have turned my thoughts into words.... :) (very funny words)

In anticipation of getting my GR1v I was watching a youtube clip of Daido Moriyama prowling the streets of Japan with his little point and shoot.

Joel could take some notes here and possibly try being a little more subtle ... I like his photos though I must admit! :D

On the upside, I used to speak Swedish to the bums in Europe so they would leave me alone. It works almost everytime!

Yes in Europe all the bums know about Sweden from watching the Muppet chef, .....thats why they backed off.

Of course the ultimate in ironic comment could be achieved by putting black tape over the already blackend logo.

Steve

Back