Stealthifying an M8 properly

All this talk of 'stealth' M8s... last time I noticed one was from about 200m away, thanks to the odd reddish-pink colour of the lens front - probably due to the IR cut filter.

I was nearly murdered a few years ago (on here and in other forums) when I dared to bitch about the M8's shutter noise.

"Not to mention when you press the shutter on an M8 people start looking for the staple gun in the room! "

The comment above by "Keith" is the best and funniest description of this phenomenon I can recall -- including any of my own.

Makten,
I think the more subtle logo you've got by taking the paint out of the engraving looks better. And I can see no reason to poke fun at you for you making your camera to your liking.
I will note that in my area, I have had two different people ask me about two different cameras and those people clearly didn't notice/read the logo on the cameras;
a few days ago, I was sitting down to lunch, set my Bessa R2A down on the table and a guy the next table over asked me, "Is that a Leica?" even though the white "Bessa R2A" on the front of the camera was facing him. Previously, another person asked me if my Kiev was a Yashica and that guy was all of 3 or 4 feet from me and should have been able to read the larg-ish "KNEB" on the front of the camera. Except for us cameera geeks, I think most people don't notice.
Rob

Well Rob, it's not about hiding that it's a Leica. It's about the appearance of the camera. :) I've taped the logos on my Nikon D700 at times too, and I think I've noticed fewer people looking at the camera, but I'm not sure.
I like to have a low profile, sort of. That's one of the reasons I prefer the M8 over the D700. But weight and feel is still the main one.

I see a red dot and I want it painted black...

:D:D:D

Seriously, I think you can get a black dot from Leica for free.

That might be a good idea actually! I'll check with my dealer. :cool:

--------------------------

About the "stealth" thing, I understand if some of you think it's ridiculous. Perhaps it is. But whatever... I like it!

And about the UV/IR filter. I actually removed mine, but not for the looks reason. I've found that it doesn't fill any purpose for my use, and that it sometimes makes the lens more prone to flare. Plus I get some of the "cyan corners" problem once in a while. It's in my pocket all of the time if I'll need it.

Last edited:
I wonder if taping them in cheap plain tan masking tape would make them less visible in one of those expensive tan leather custom made half cases?

"And about the UV/IR filter. I actually removed mine, but not for the looks reason. I've found that it doesn't fill any purpose for my use, and that it sometimes makes the lens more prone to flare. Plus I get some of the "cyan corners" problem once in a while. It's in my pocket all of the time if I'll need it."

if you are shooting for black and white there is little need for the filters.

I do not believe any has ever commented on my 35mm equipment until a few weeks ago when I was photographing in a barbershop in Cienfuegos Cuba. This guy was ignoring me until he casually indicated that there was no flash. I just said "is OK" and he finally looked up. Then he exclaimed "Zeiss" and showed interest. When I handed him the camera, he immediately looked at the iso dial and replied "Ah!". He carefully turned the camera over and said "Analog - good!". When I handed him a roll of Neopan 400, he shouts "Blanco y Negro!" and really gets excited. And this is in a town where I don't think 10 people could even afford a roll of b&w film much less a camera to use it in. It certainly was the last place I though someone would notice a camera brand or get excited over someone shooting b&w.

man-getting-haircut.jpg

I was nearly murdered a few years ago (on here and in other forums) when I dared to bitch about the M8's shutter noise.

"Not to mention when you press the shutter on an M8 people start looking for the staple gun in the room! "

The comment above by "Keith" is the best and funniest description of this phenomenon I can recall -- including any of my own.

I remember that ... they came down on you like a ton of bricks! :D

Well let's be honest here ... they could have done a better job with the shutter! I have yet to hear a DSLR that can penetrate a room like the M8's 'kerchunka!' A while ago I was shooting the speakers at a gallery opening and there was a guy on the other side of the crowd with a 5D Canon doing the same thing ... from where I was I could barely hear the Canon's shutter but the bloody M8 seemed to reverberate around the room and got a lot of looks. I don't care because I do like the camera for the other things it's good at but 'stealth' on an audible level is not it's strong point IMO!

Last edited:
Makten,
I did the same thing with my M8 about six months after getting it (new). In my case the case the white logo came off very easily with isopropryl alcohol.
I just think it looks better.
Mine has a black dot. You'd probably like one, too.
4145046453_19b7322489.jpg

Well Rob, it's not about hiding that it's a Leica. It's about the appearance of the camera. :) I've taped the logos on my Nikon D700 at times too, and I think I've noticed fewer people looking at the camera, but I'm not sure.
I use to do that but I eventually stopped. In fact, I feel people react 99% of times to your attitude and body language, not the camera. Once they realize it is a Leica (most don't), the shot is probably done anyway. I feel though that they will be more suspicious if you are walking around with a D700, probably asking you why you took the picture.

Good thing is now I don't have to deal with the black tape ripping off anymore ;)

The whole idea of Leicas and not getting attention is an idea of the past in my opinion and experience. Taping the logo does not help very much.

Most people do not even know what a Leica is, let alone care about it!
People who know and care about Leicas will also recognise it with the logo and name taped.

Problem is you will always catch more attention with a Leica than with any P&S or DSLR.
For the simple reason 1 out of 2 people caries a camera these days, and that is mostly a P&S or DSLR. People getting used to these cameras.

A rangefinder or Rolleiflex will always look different!

Last edited:
Quick Poll. This thread is a waste of electrons

Yes

No
If one accepts Max Borne's (yet to be refuted) posit that there is but one electron, I must vote no.

Besides, how can one look at Bob Michael's photo and say this thread is a waste of anything? I think I have found the barber I want for my hair!

Bob: Cuba you say? Hmmmm. How, exactly does one get a visa for there, anyway?

As we are now approaching the festive season, I recommend attaching a small sprig of holly to the hot shoe. It is preferable to use a piece that has berries attached as these will conveniently disguise the red dot. It is however essential to trim away any prickles on the rear facing holly leaves to ensure you are not pricked when using the viewfinder.

This recommendation comes with a warning, however: Birds of prey and marauding predators may seek to exploit your natural cover and so this particular solution is only advisable in areas known not to harbour dangerous wildlife.

Back