Street Photography clichés, no no's and taboos.

Are you serious?

I like streets that are alive and video captures life a lot better than still photos.

Imo wildlife videos are a lot more interesting than wildlife photos.

Imo drone footage of wilderness is a lot more interesting than still landscape shots.

So if I were to address the OP, I'd say the only way to escape the boring cliche of 'street photography' is to look at the street in a new way like the guy who's video I posted.

Still photos capture moments and freeze them and the real challenge is in being able to pull together some visual sense from chaos and no other art form can do that as well. Situations like the action of the street is where still photographs shine-. That ability to freeze those moments is outside our human experience. That and the fact the images are two dimensional are all reasons that i and many love still photography especially when it comes to work done on the streets. Watch the piece I posted of the trailer where Meyerowitz is speaking.

Sounds like you need to be on a video forum.

Still photos capture moments and freeze them and the real challenge is in being able to pull together some visual sense from chaos and no other art form can do that as well. Situations like the action of the street is where still photographs shine-. That ability to freeze those moments is outside our human experience. That and the fact the images are two dimensional are all reasons that i and many love still photography especially when it comes to work done on the streets. Watch the piece I posted of the trailer where Meyerowitz is speaking.

Sounds like you need to be on a video forum.

If you want to freeze the action, you can grab any frame you want from a video footage. While that is not a lot of fun, it is a much more 'efficient' way of capturing action.

Maybe you should really consider video if you're interested in 'capturing action'.

There are people who love post-processing but they hate the act of taking photos. Video footage and grabbing screens from that, in high resolution video such as 4K that is common now, is a god send to them.

This forum might add a few more sections very soon, video and drones.

I certainly don't think it to be. I prefer to be able see and capture it in the moment.

Aren't there plenty of sites like that out there already and this is a rangefinder forum not a drone forum. And though you can shoot video with the M 240 there are plenty of much better tools out there for that and if I wee to shoot video I would surely choose of those over an M 240.

I certainly don't think it to be. I prefer to be able see and capture it in the moment.

Aren't there plenty of sites like that out there already and this is a rangefinder forum not a drone forum. And though you can shoot video with the M 240 there are plenty of much better tools out there for that and if I wee to shoot video I would surely choose of those over an M 240.

Leica cameras are of course very desirable and its a great to shoot with them. But when the books are opened and they ask which camera defined the era - right now - that we live in? The answer is a simple one, GoPro cameras. And this is what they can do: : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0MDY9fl-IA

I had a break from still photography for about six years around 2002 and took video.
That was for the horses though... eventing and dressage.
Its a useful tool to improve riding technique.

Leica cameras are of course very desirable and its a great to shoot with them. But when the books are opened and they ask which camera defined the era - right now - that we live in? The answer is a simple one, GoPro cameras. And this is what they can do: : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0MDY9fl-IA

Still is not video and video is not still. It takes very different skills to do either well.

Whenever I run into someone who tells me "you can't photograph that, you shouldn't photograph that", I have two words for them.....and the second of them is "you!"

I find that personal attacks usually come from people with little to offer a conversation. Whatever the case, I am sure you can imagine that I will be crying myself to sleep on my huge internet pillow this evening ;)

Me too;)

Ps: you post something, i disagree with it- i say what i think of it- that is my contribution to this topic.
You can dislike it or whatever, but you can't expect that we all agree with your point of view... If thats what you are after start a blog where you can control replies or better yet, write a book.

I wasn't personal at all.
I didn't say chris this and that is such and such. I just wrote what i thought of this only thread- your OP and many replies. To some replies i answered stg concretely since they had a different topic.
The only way you could take this as personal attack is if you'd define yourself 100% equal with the post you started and nothing more than that. Which i guess is not the case.
Hell, for what i know of you you could be albert effin einstein, or my favorite brother in law. We could be best friends in life. Or at least i m sure there are some things we would agree upon.
I just happen to find one thought of yours worthless, thats all:)

Back