Street Photography clichés, no no's and taboos.

I don't think Chris mentioned rules in the first post and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't restrict anyones creativity ...

Absolutely correct, Stewart. No rules were mentioned by myself. But, as tradition dictates, the thread has mutated beyond an exercise in "Chinese Whispers". I was instigating a discussion. I never said anyone shouldn't shoot such images - I asked what the general consensus was.

RTFQ, as I was taught when I joined my most recent employment.

Absolutely correct, Stewart. No rules were mentioned by myself. But, as tradition dictates, the thread has mutated beyond an exercise in "Chinese Whispers". I was instigating a discussion. I never said anyone shouldn't shoot such images - I asked what the general consensus was.

... yes I imagine you were livid when Joe read it, and answered you in the very next post ... post No.2

There are videos on youtube where the person wears a gopro on their chest and walks about the streets. If you shoot 4K, you can screen-grab some really great shots. Here is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBo-fY7a67I

This is the future of street photography, and yet its not street photography.

Sorry, but thats a gigantic waste of bandwidth nothing more, to me.
I had no patience even to scroll through it.

Rtft, as in t=title.
A list of cliches, no-no things and taboos.

Where exactly is the difference

Anyway, whatever. The whole thread sounds like a seen-it-all, done-it-all, boring wiseass list of apparently objectionable stuff one should not photograph.

It is useless and as i said, very depressing.

... yes I imagine you were livid when Joe read it, and answered you in the very next post ... post No.2

Not at all. But threads don't get very far with one sentence answers from just the one member. But at least Joe was addressing the question. I think the resultant descent from the original question is just a pandemic characteristic in forums in general.

Not a criticism, you understand - just another pesky observation.

Rtft, as in t=title.

Anyway, whatever. The whole thread sounds like a seen-it-all, done-it-all, boring wiseass list of apparently objectionable stuff one should not photograph.

... I thought it an amusing way to warn newcomers of the clichés, no-no's and taboos folk complain about

PS ... oh! and another pesky observation, naturally

Rtft, as in t=title.

What is a cliché? What is a no no? What is a taboo? Its all about perception and that is what I was asking about. The memberships observation on these and perhaps more.

I really don't think I need to read my own title, now do I? ;)

And as for the seen it all, done it all wise ass comment, I'll take that with an EC food mountain of salt given that I posted...

I realise there will be no right answer. Like everything else, this will be subjective. The list above, I am guilty of shooting every one of them, but equally, its what I avoid now (though I am mulling the last entry as a possible occasional exception) as I just don't engage with them.

...in the very same original post.

I find that personal attacks usually come from people with little to offer a conversation. Whatever the case, I am sure you can imagine that I will be crying myself to sleep on my huge internet pillow this evening ;)

Not at all. But threads don't get very far with one sentence answers from just the one member. But at least Joe was addressing the question. I think the resultant descent from the original question is just a pandemic characteristic in forums in general.

Not a criticism, you understand - just another pesky observation.

i'm a master of the one liner...

This thread is about Clickbait...

Clickbait by the OP to have started something that causes a disturbance.

Clickbait to continue in wasting one's life on the internet instead of living in the real world and actually making a photograph.

Clickbait in that cliche's abound solely for the reason to have you click the shutter and check it off your list.

It sure brings out the best in folks, eh?

This thread is about Clickbait...

Clickbait by the OP to have started something that causes a disturbance.

Clickbait to continue in wasting one's life on the internet instead of living in the real world and actually making a photograph.

Clickbait in that cliche's abound solely for the reason to have you click the shutter and check it off your list.

It sure brings out the best in folks, eh?

...let's ALL find the definitions in the doing.
Keep making photographs.

... its fun reading about it and looking and admiring the work of others but the only real teacher is work and more work.
Shoot as much as you can....its the only way that you are going to learn.

... its fun reading about it and looking and admiring the work of others but the only real teacher is work and more work.
Shoot as much as you can....its the only way that you are going to learn.

It's more than fun. You can learn a lot from it and looking at their work. But I won't disagree about getting out and shooting.

Daido Moriyama's quote(translated):
“I think that the most important thing that photography can do is to relate both the photographer and the viewer’s memories. At first sight a photograph looks straightforward as it slices off a scene or a moment in time. But the images that photography captures are actually ambiguous. And it’s because of this ambiguity that I like photography.”

So the back of someone on their mobile walking down the street in front of a poster just happened to stick their leg out may seem pointless to some might relate to some other viewers.

Back