street portraits

kuuan

loves old lenses
Local time
4:43 AM
seems as if there isn't any thread yet dedicated to street portraiture. ( if there is one that I had overseen, tell me please and I shall delete this thread, resp. this note in case that there really isn't any )
please add your's. Not any prerequisite, it's all up to you, I'd appreciate info on lens and film resp., if digital, camera used and also critiques and opinions.

my contributions will be taken on digital, but to start one taken on film, color slide actually,
with a Minolta Celtic 2.8/28mm lens in San Blas, Mexico 1979

sorprendido?
by andreas, on Flickr

There was a large thread but I believe it was deleted by the OP. Great to have a replacement thread!

This was shot in 2007 with a FM3A, Makro Planar 50 and AGFA Scala - what a combo !
The person shown is Signor Watanabe - owner of New Old Camera in Milan - a sanctuary for Leica afficionados, new and second hand shop and repair facility plus a place for workshops and various photo-cultural events. Today, he is 9 years older and 30 kilos slimmer...

07120404 by marek fogiel, on Flickr

U27021I1457361750.SEQ.0.jpg

A stranger at Manly beach, Sydney.
IIIc CV 35/2,5 TMAX100 Fomadon LQN 1:10

thank's for the contribution, god to see this thread taking off.
Marek you surprised Watanabe-San, Nick that's a sharp look in the metro, Lynn I find the last portrait of the veteran very impressive, expressive the 'stranger' and the waitress is lovely

Photographer with Pentax MZ-3 + Pentacon 1.8/50 and unique Pentax MZ-S with FA43 ltd.
taken with Pentax M 1.4/50 on a NEX5n in Osaka 2012

Osaka camera style
by andreas, on Flickr

A retired Lieutenant Colonel of the Soviet Air Force in parade uniform
on the occasion of Victory Day. 9 May 2008, Chisinau, Moldova.

The professionals. Photographers on the Back Beach in Vung Tau, Vietnam. Until a few years ago, all of them used beaten-up Nikon F's. Today,
most of them are equipped with entry-level Nikon digital SLR's.

haha Peter, that Lieutenant Colonel looks like a caricature of himself ;)
right, the transition to digital of street pros in Vietnam is almost complete. Only a few years ago they all used analogue SLRs, some are still around and so one also still can see the box they use for developing film right on the beach. Some years ago I had some pics made by a pro using film at that same beach, he had used an Oly with a 1.8/50 and the 'prints' had been delivered within 35 minutes. I did not see where they had done the enlarging. Now, using digital, they use small, portable printers.

I have a number of pics showing these photographers at work, this is the one that comes closest to a street portrait, 3 of them, taken with a S-M-C Takumar 1.4/50 on a Pentax K-x at the same back beach of Vung Tau in 2009

photographers
by andreas, on Flickr

a south Vietnamese farmer, on an island in the Megkong Delta, taken with NEX5n and kit zoom in 2012

Untitled
by andreas, on Flickr

Thanks for starting this anew, Andreas.

I'll be contributing some street work to an event on homelessness this weekend. Here are a few examples.

med_U45148I1359318192.SEQ.0.jpg

med_U45148I1359318773.SEQ.0.jpg

M5 ZM 35/2.8 HP5

med_U45148I1356837408.SEQ.0.jpg

M4 ZM 50/2 FP4

thank you Robert. Your homeless photos are 'street portraits' in the best sense, so are those of Greyscale. I am never so sure about mine, but believe that common categories better be inclusive than exclusive because creating many more categories would be confusing

a 'Madame', she spoke some French, in Hanoi

Untitled
by andreas, on Flickr, S-M-C takumar f1.4 50mm, Pentax K-x

a noodle soup vendor in Saigon

Untitled by andreas, on Flickr, S-M-C Takumar f1.4 50mm, Pentax *istDs

Myanmar, both in Thanbyuzayat, 2011

Leica M6, either 35mm Biogon f2 or a V3 sum micron 50mm, can't remember. 400iso Fuji Superia Xtra

rtt-26_526.jpg

rtt-27_527.jpg

hijole, viva la virgen de Guadalupe, viva el D.F., Alejandro, cabron, I am ready for more!
very sweet the novice Bonato!

staying in Saigon alias Ho Chi Minh City, Canon LTM 2/35 on NEX5n

Untitled
by andreas, on Flickr

and Canon LTM 1.8/85 on Sony A7

Untitled
by andreas, on Flickr

Back