Stupid diafine mistake - poured fixer into Solution B

yossarian123

Sam I Am
Local time
8:49 PM
Hey, so I just mixed up a fresh batch of 1 gallon diafine, processed a few rolls through it (everything was fine - my previous batch lasted for about 100 rolls btw). I was distracted while finishing up the fix portion and accidentally poured 250ml of fixer into my solution B container! The roll I was processing came out extremely thin and purple, a 2nd roll came out thin but not quite as bad as #1. So before I test any more rolls what do you think ? Is the B completely ruined? Will the fixer eventually exhaust itself and it will go back to normal?

Hey, so I just mixed up a fresh batch of 1 gallon diafine, processed a few rolls through it (everything was fine - my previous batch lasted for about 100 rolls btw). I was distracted while finishing up the fix portion and accidentally poured 250ml of fixer into my solution B container! The roll I was processing came out extremely thin and purple, a 2nd roll came out thin but not quite as bad as #1. So before I test any more rolls what do you think ? Is the B completely ruined? Will the fixer eventually exhaust itself and it will go back to normal?

Your Part "B" that got contaminated with fixer is NFG.

The only salvation is that I would save the Part "A" since this ends up getting depleted before the Part "B" due to wetting the film.

Did you contaminate your entire Part "B" or only a portion of it? If the Part "B" that is contaminated with fixer is separate just throw that portion out and the rest of the Part "B" that remains should be fine.

Cal

Just toss it. $50 (the cost of 1 gallon of Diafine that will last years) is a small fee for peace of mind that your pictures will be developed properly.

Write it off as learning experience.
Use different colored bottles, amber for developer, clear for fix.

Label with strips of tape for A & B.

Only possible way to save is use some expired paper and fix until it no longer fixes. But I really recommend the replacement solution.

Thanks everyone. I will toss it.

Everything was labeled, and like I said I’ve developed 100+ of rolls in diafine through the years. My sin was to multitask with Netflix while developing and I completely blanked.

I did similar thing once. Solution B into A which is a big no-no. Too much wine I guess. Could have been worse. ;)

When I use a 2 part developer I always put it in smaller containers after mixing. Then when (not if) I goof up I only have to throw away 16oz instead of the gallon

You could just mix up a different part B and continue to use part a. Two part developers are comprised of the developing agents plus a preserver in part A and an alkaline accelerator in part B. Typically the part b is comprised of Borax, Carbonate or sometimes Metaborate. I've even used Lye before but that really accelerates the development. If you can find out what part b is you can just mix it yourself. Or even an approximation would be good enough. I don't have any experience with Diafine to guide you but I am sure someone somewhere measured the pH of part b trying to figure out what it was and put it on the internet. If all else fails, just use the formula for part b of another two part developer. In increasing activity IIRC would be Borax, Metaborate (Kodalk), Carbonate, Lye. Odds are Carbonate will do the job. You can buy that at the Supermarket as Washing Soda for just a few bucks.

Hope that helps you.

Back