Summaron 35/2.8 vs LLL 35mm 8 element

RBCAMERA

Local time
7:01 AM
Don't know if this is the right forum but asking anyway...
Say you had an opportunity to buy a Summaron 35/2.8 for roughly the same price as a Light Lens Lab 35 8 element. Which would you chose.

LLL is LTM, The summaron is sans goggles and unfortunately an M (I also own a Barnack iiif)

For info.. I use an M2 mostly using Hp5 whole variety of different images... I am super torn as I love some of the images I have seen made with the Summaron, but I would be limiting myself camera wise for travel.. Help me Spock !!

You want LTM: you could get a 35/3.5 Summaron for less, and use it on both cameras.
The Summaron 35/2.8 cannot be used on the LTM, that you like to use.

The LLL 35/2.8 will be limited production, and will be a cult lens once it is out of production. The Black Paint edition looks nice. Popflash is a reputable dealer.

Don't know if this is the right forum but asking anyway...
Say you had an opportunity to buy a Summaron 35/2.8 for roughly the same price as a Light Lens Lab 35 8 element. Which would you chose.

LLL is LTM, The summaron is sans goggles and unfortunately an M (I also own a Barnack iiif)

For info.. I use an M2 mostly using Hp5 whole variety of different images... I am super torn as I love some of the images I have seen made with the Summaron, but I would be limiting myself camera wise for travel.. Help me Spock !!
I've had both a Summaron 2.8 LTM and a LLL 8 element black paint. If you plan to use it on your Barnack camera, the 3.5 Summaron would balance better. I found the 2.8 a bit hefty. I'm not sold on the new LLL collapsible. A 3.5 Elmar or 3.5 Summaron is a pretty small lens. Image quality of both the vintage and modern lenses is very good.

44991690824_7dbdebf299.jpg

You want LTM: you could get a 35/3.5 Summaron for less, and use it on both cameras.
The Summaron 35/2.8 cannot be used on the LTM, that you like to use.

The LLL 35/2.8 will be limited production, and will be a cult lens once it is out of production. The Black Paint edition looks nice. Popflash is a reputable dealer.
I think that he meant the LLL 35/2.0 8 element lens and not the LLL 35/2.8.

Last edited:
I've had both a Summaron 2.8 LTM and a LLL 8 element black paint. If you plan to use it on your Barnack camera, the 3.5 Summaron would balance better. I found the 2.8 a bit hefty. I'm not sold on the new LLL collapsible. A 3.5 Elmar or 3.5 Summaron is a pretty small lens. Image quality of both the vintage and modern lenses is very good.

44991690824_7dbdebf299.jpg
The LLL lens is a 35mm/2.0 with 8 elements. It is not a LLL 35mm/2.8 ltm lens.

The LLL lens is a 35mm/2.0 with 8 elements. It is not a LLL 35mm/2.8 ltm lens.
Yes Raid, but the OP asked about the LLL vs Summaron comparison ....here: " opportunity to buy a Summaron 35/2.8 for roughly the same price as a Light Lens Lab 35 8 element"

You are right. He did not say LLL 35/2.8. I would get the Summaron if I were into B&W prints.
This threw me off "The LLL 35/2.8 will be limited production, and will be a cult lens once it is out of production"

I would take the LLL. I like photos with a shallow depth of field, especially when taken with a wide-angle lens. The 35mm f1.4 is better still. BTW, I've not seen any pictures taken with the new steel rim.

I would take the LLL. I like photos with a shallow depth of field, especially when taken with a wide-angle lens. The 35mm f1.4 is better still. I've not seen any pictures taken with the new steel rim.
Erik the OP wanted a lens that could be used on an LTM as well as M. Have you seen an LTM steel rim 35mm 1.4?
"LLL is LTM, The summaron is sans goggles and unfortunately an M (I also own a Barnack iiif)"

Erik the OP wanted a lens that could be used on an LTM as well as M. Have you seen an LTM steel rim 35mm 1.4?
"LLL is LTM, The summaron is sans goggles and unfortunately an M (I also own a Barnack iiif)"
I'm sorry, I've not read the whole thread. Is there a Leitz 8 elements LTM lens? I'll look that up. Yes there are, but these focus not closer than 1m, just like the f1.4.

Back