Summilux 35mm pre-asph photos

tajart said:
i know they are different lenses, but i'm curious if anyone has compared the 35 lux with the nokton 40/1.4 - in terms of image making, physical objectness, and handling? just curious

I own and use both of these lenses. The 35mm Pre-ASPH summilux on a Leica M, and the 40 Nokton (singe-coated version) on a CLE - so I don't think I've ever shot them back-to-back on the same roll of film.

Still, a general comparison can be made. Both lenses are small for their wide aperture. The focus on my summilux is smoother and a bit easier than my Nokton, but the Noktons aperture ring is easier to find with the fingers, especially since I ALWAYS have the hood on the Summilux and NEVER on the Nokton. But in general, I find both lenses handle well ergonomically for me - i.e., no big issues there.

The picture characteristics of the two are quite different to my eyes. I'll start by saying that I like both, and plan to keep both. The nokton gives pictures with a clean, "modern" look, nice color rendition, is flare resistant, and sharper than the Summilux in the f/1.4 to f/2.8 range. I never had any complaints about the bokeh of the CV Nokton. My only criticism of it, is that sometimes the pictures from it are clinically razor sharp, but lack a little.... character!

Enter the Summilux and why I keep both. My summilux I think is typical from what I've seen and read (it's a late-ish one with seris VII hood, but not very late) - it's not the sharpest in the wide apertures, but by f/4 is as sharp as any 35mm I've ever used (35mm summicrons, Canon 35/1.8, Konica UC-Hexanon, CV 35/1.2). Wide open, the results are somewhat more "hazy" looking, but nothing that ruins a shot in my experience, and nothing that a bit of contrast boosting in Photoshop can't deal with. The bokeh of the Summilux is very pleasing to my eye, a tad nicer than the Nokton. I pretty much shoot the 35mm Summilux with B&W film, so can't say anything about color rendtion.

SUMMARY: both lenses are nice, but the NOKTON, IMHO, represents what must be the ALL TIME BEST BARGAIN fast, small rangefinder lens! Unless, you don't like the 40mm focal length...

...for example, if I didn't have a CLE, I probably wouldn't own the Nokton. I know that many people happily use their Noktons on Leica M's with no 40mm framelines, but for some reason this just doesn't feel comfortable for me.

'Hope this helps.

Yaron

Thanks for your post on the CV Nokton 40/1.4 compared to the pre asp lux 35. I use the same version of the lux as you do and am in general agreement with your thoughts on it. It confirms for me that if I were looking today to replace the lux that I would go with the Nok 40. For RF use speed is good but not size and the 40 Nok seems to fit the bill nicely.

Bob

Bob, you're welcome.

I forgot to mention that unfortunately, the 35mm pre-ASPH Summilux only focuses down to 1 meter, whereas the CV Nokton goes to 0.7 meter. THIS IS A BIG DEAL FOR ME. That 30 cm makes a big difference for small subjects.

See this picture "Anarchy in Danish Suburbia" (taken at 0.7meter with CV 35/1.2 Nokton, which ALSO focuses down to 1 meter, and is ALSO a great lens, but which is TOO BIG for a general purpose lens in my opinion). It would no way be as impactful at 1 meter:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2366/1659369711_fb1b3b2040.jpg

Now, the 35mm Summilux ASPH does focus down to 0.7 meters, and I like it's character from what I've seen (don't own it), but it seems un-justifiably expensive with lenses like the 40mm CV Nokton around...

sleepyhead said:
I forgot to mention that unfortunately, the 35mm pre-ASPH Summilux only focuses down to 1 meter, whereas the CV Nokton goes to 0.7 meter. THIS IS A BIG DEAL FOR ME. That 30 cm makes a big difference for small subjects.

That is one of the biggest plus points of the Nokton for me. Because
it allows to take portraits at .7m like you would with a fast 50 at 1m.

Roland.

Dare we bring up the spectre of.. *gasp* "Bokeh"?

I have read that the Nokton has nasty bokeh - I personally have owned two copies and haven't really had any issues with the bokeh but hey.. some folks think it's.. um.... "harsh".

Just tossing this out there,
Dave

dcsang said:
Dare we bring up the spectre of.. *gasp* "Bokeh"?

I have read that the Nokton has nasty bokeh - I personally have owned two copies and haven't really had any issues with the bokeh but hey.. some folks think it's.. um.... "harsh".

Just tossing this out there,
Dave

Like here for instance ?

144328300-M.jpg

Taken with an M6 with really, really badly flaring viewfinder :)

If I had a 35 Lux I would have posted something already - for the time being, I guess I may hunt down a 35 Lux ASPH or a 35 Cron ASPH - not that I can afford them.. but then again.. ya only go around once eh? :D

Dave

sleepyhead said:

I agree. I need to find someone who can do this for me to modify my 35 'lux pre-asph. I asked Sherry K. and (I quickly read my e-mail before leaving) I don't think she answered that question, except she can do a CLA. I hear she does excellent work.

I'm pretty certain this can be done; the question is who?.

If the pre-ASPH could be modified to focus closer, THAT WOULD BE A BIG HIT with me!
PLease keep us posted, thanks.

maddoc said:
Sounds like my set up ... :D (except the M2) Now, just the Noctilux is missing and I am done for a while ... :):rolleyes:

Rather than a Noctilux I would go for the 50f1.4 ASPH. Modern film can handle far more "push" and the 50/1,4 is MUCH better at 1.4 than the Nocti at f1 or f1.4. It also focuses closer (and better). It is also smaller and nimbler than the Noctilux, which counts for a lot in my book.

This shot is, IMO, a typical 35 summilux pre-asph look. Funny thing, it didn,t take me long before understanding the lens and differntiate it from other while looking at prints or scans.
Of course I didn't have time to focus, but this too plays a part in the overall look the 35 gives.
Web-82.jpg

Back