Surrealist Photography

This is a great idea for a thread. I must admit though, that I feel better when I have at least some quasi-specific definition of what it is that I'm trying to convey through a posting, and surrealism is notoriously difficult to define and, if it's not a contradiction to what I just said, difficult to define. So let's call on good ol' Wikipedia:

Surrealism is a cultural movement that began in the early 1920s, and is best known for its visual artworks and writings. The aim was to "resolve the previously contradictory conditions of dream and reality." Artists painted unnerving, illogical scenes with photographic precision, created strange creatures from everyday objects and developed painting techniques that allowed the unconscious to express itself and/or an idea/concept.

Surrealist works feature the element of surprise, unexpected juxtapositions and non sequitur

I'll be fascinated to see what else crops up as this thread progresses. By the way Rodchenko I'd say you have some really good surrealist ideas among the images you posted, like #s 1 and 3.

OK, enough chit-chat, here is my first offering:

p49936225-4.jpg

It kinda came about because I realised some of the things I was posting in the rather wonderful 'Abstract' thread weren't really abstract. Glad you like it. I love the photos posted so far. I'll be interested to see future photos.

Ah, hae you posted this one before? Fits well into this context.

Interesting (especially vis-a-vis the HCB discussion) how easily street photography with a canny eye (such as above, or the reflections in the previous post, or the guys in masks etc etc) can slip into surrealism if you want it to.

Ah, hae you posted this one before? Fits well into this context.

Interesting (especially vis-a-vis the HCB discussion) how easily street photography with a canny eye (such as above, or the reflections in the previous post, or the guys in masks etc etc) can slip into surrealism if you want it to.

... I may have, I couldn't find the one I wanted ... or rather I couldn't be bothered waiting for fliker to load

Back