• Hologon 16mm/8

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
5:25 AM
The Hasselblad SWC is a medium format camera with a fixed 38mm 4.5 lens, giving a highly corrected 21mm equivalent view. The Zeiss Hologon is a 16mm /8 fixed aperture lens for 35mm cameras. I gad DAG modify the lens to M mount.

Which of these two lenses would you prefer for landscape photography?

The Hasselblad SWC is a medium format camera with a fixed 38mm 4.5 lens, giving a highly corrected 21mm equivalent view. The Zeiss Hologon is a 16mm /8 fixed aperture lens for 35mm cameras. I gad DAG modify the lens to M mount.

Superwide everytime....bigger negative better print tonality

I would say (for balance) that using a 35mm lens can be easier to do due to fewer changes of film needed. Using the Hologon on an M8 gives a 21mm view.

I have just spent two days in my darkroom doing some images in Black and White. My Hasselblad SWC/M produces the most incredible images, it is just a fantastic lens. I am printing stuff from Santorini Greece, Brittany, Italy and Utah USA.
I used three cameras on these vacations, the Hasselblad a Rolleiflex 3.5F with Planar glass and my late Fathers Zeiss Super Ikonta 531/2 folder.
All three cameras have their personalities in the Black and White Medium but as soon as the Super wide Images start to develop, my heart skips a beat waiting for when I can turn the light on and look at what she has just born for me.

How about this Biogon...
2PB3Ixg.jpg

Likely neither. I generally prefer landscape photography done with a longer focal length.

That said, I do a lot of my photography with ultra wides although I don't really consider them landscape so much. The Hologon is a lovely lens, but for what I like in ultra wide, a larger format is necessary. The SWC is my gold standard... because I also love square format. It gives a very different feel to ultra wide photographs.

G

I agree with Godfrey above. For landscape photography I prefer a larger format. However, for travel the smaller format may be more practical.

What's wrong with the Super-Wide Heliar 15/4.5 (III)?
I guess the Hologon plays in one league with the LTM-Version of this lens (which was capable of great things at their era).
The Super Elmar 18 isn't a bad lens either, from what I've read.

What's wrong with the Super-Wide Heliar 15/4.5 (III)?
I guess the Hologon plays in one league with the LTM-Version of this lens (which was capable of great things at their era).
The Super Elmar 18 isn't a bad lens either, from what I've read.

The Heliar is better corrected for a digital sensor. The SWC and the Hologon work great with film.

Everybody works differently. IMO wide angle is difficult to do well, compared to longer lens photography. Each rig has different looks. I much prefer viewing through the 40mm Distagon, over the SWC. But it's not stealthy :)

21mm FOV Cameras 35mm to 4x5 by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is what I use for 21mm FOV photography, 35mm to 4x5. My 4x5 Homemade Sinar Norma Handy is going to get some use. Just cleaned up three 4x5 Graphmatic Backs.

Never used Hasselblad, only Linhof with an ordinary angulon, but back when i had the original Hologon in M mount, I did not like the edge unshapness, so I got rid of it.

p.

Never used Hasselblad, only Linhof with an ordinary angulon, but back when i had the original Hologon in M mount, I did not like the edge unshapness, so I got rid of it.

p.

Did you use the 15mm Hologon or 16mm Version with a film Leica?

The SWC and the Hologon are not comparable.

The Hologon on the G1, G2 or Leica is great because of the small size and the superb quality of the optic. The small size is great for mountaineering. Try to use a SWC when you are on the top of the Mount Everest if you can get the camera there.

Erik.

Back