SWC versus Hologon

SWC versus Hologon

• SWC with 38mm

Votes: 20 90.9%
  • Hologon 16mm/8

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The highest elevation place in Florida is 300 feet high.
Erik is correct about weight and bulk.
For example, I am planning a five day trip by car. It is best to use one camera bag.
Should I pack SWC plus M9 with 35mm lens or pack M3 with Hologon plus M9 and M8 and two lenses? Same bulk. A super wide angle pair is SWC plus Hologon with M3.

The SWC and the Hologon are not comparable.

The Hologon on the G1, G2 or Leica is great because of the small size and the superb quality of the optic. The small size is great for mountaineering. Try to use a SWC when you are on the top of the Mount Everest if you can get the camera there.

Erik.

Out of interest, are there any records of a Hologon going to the summit of Everest?

Every shot I've ever seen from a Hologon (15 or 16) has pronounced astigmatism away from the center. The Biogon on the SWC does not have that problem.
Also, a small correction:
In order to image the same field as a SWC (38mm on 5.6cm x 5.6cm) you'd have to use a 16mm lens on a 24mmx36mm camera. And crop it to 24x24mm to get the square frame.

Every shot I've ever seen from a Hologon (15 or 16) has pronounced astigmatism away from the center.

I've never seen any astigmatism on my Hologon pictures. Can you give us an example?

Contax G1, Hologon 16mm f/8, Tmax400.

Erik.

8986551446_64f9ac7713_b.jpg

Astigmatism should not be seen in images from a Hologon. It is a highly corrected lens with straight lines in the edges.

Back