"terrorism" and "perspectivity" of photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonSawSunlight

Simon Fabel
Local time
6:52 PM
for example: in the turkish uprisings this year, protesters have been repeatedly called and labeled "terrorists". i have been shooting among the ranks of these terrorists for weeks, i have been questioned about being a terrorist by "employees of the authorities" myself.
the term terrorism and words related to it are used all over the globe to discredit all possible (real or not) rational aims, reasons, and positions that enemies or political/military/militant opponents might have. i am interested in anything you might have to share in relation to this, no matter what.

... link, show, tell, discuss. what is terrorism? who are terrorists? what is terrorism used for and what is used against it? what interesting photography is there on the subject? how is photography (or video, and journalism in general) used in the context? [...]
i know this is a little against rff rules, but (as the terrorist i am) i ask you not to be shy when you think what you are saying is too "political" (whatever that means), please...
(a big old hello to the mods! ;) )

thanks!

A terrorist is someone who goes against the status quo. I think history is clear on this. Those in power want to stay in power. Anyone opposed to this is, basically, a terrorist. The term terrorist has no inherent meaning, unlike "bachelor" or "triangle", which is why it is bounced around so much: easily fits in with whatever spin is being fed to whomever. Photographs fit well here- meaning and content are easily "spun" as context and intent can be ignored (or not). Soviet photography is interesting for this.

A terrorist is someone who goes against the status quo. I think history is clear on this. Those in power want to stay in power. Anyone opposed to this is, basically, a terrorist. The term terrorist has no inherent meaning, unlike "bachelor" or "triangle", which is why it is bounced around so much: easily fits in with whatever spin is being fed to whomever. Photographs fit well here- meaning and content are easily "spun" as context and intent can be ignored (or not). Soviet photography is interesting for this.

do you have concrete examples of such photography?

and isn't the term terrorist also usually related to a person's or group's (true, assumed, or claimed) methods and actions?

"Terrorism is the systematic use of violence (terror) as a means of coercion for political purposes."
While ultimately, terrorists are only those, who use violence WHILE NOT HOLDING POWER, it is the violence itself that defines terrorism best. A recent example, has been the swift trial ending with the execution of the uncle of the current North Korean ruler, because "he only clapped half heartedly" at party meetings. A classic example of state terror at its best.
I have been though too many "end justifies the means" examples on my own skin, to get drawn into logic of people who justify violence. Only self defense justifies a limited use of force. If you want to protest, the best way is the non violent way, through disobedience. Ultimately, it works.

If you want to protest, the best way is the non violent way, through disobedience. Ultimately, it works.

Yes but only up to a point. Even Ghandi could not change human nature. Ask the relatives of the million who were killed during the partitioning of India.

Still, it was the least bad choice for kicking us out of India.

:(

What in past times would be called dissent, political unrest , or protest now comes under the umbrella term of terrorism.

In the social climate of today the term has become a usage of convenience so that any and all opposition to the state is termed as terrorism which can now be met with a high level of force and legal sanction. It has become also, culturally fashionable via movies, mainstream news, political blogging and so on.

Any one who might ruffle a feather or two no matter how innocently, is fair game for the authorities.

Certain activities including photography fall automatically under suspicion.
It is hard ,if not impossible to change this perception as it has been inculcated into whole populations over the last decade or so.

Terrorism is violence against nonmilitary targets that intends shock value out of proportion to the actual damage inflicted. This makes the question of whether or not someone is a "terrorist" rather easy.

Calling anything else terrorism is the speaker twisting a charged word to his purposes.

-Greg

The effectiveness of non-violent disobedience assumes that there is a party to witness it and of a disposition to be outraged.

There are times when the only morally sane thing to do is to fight back.

Terrorism is violence against nonmilitary targets that intends shock value out of proportion to the actual damage inflicted. This makes the question of whether or not someone is a "terrorist" rather easy.

Calling anything else terrorism is the speaker twisting a charged word to his purposes.

-Greg

that makes a great many operations by "official" militaries acts of terrorism. do you agree?

The problem is the one who is called a Terrorist is for some other a freedom fighter and hero - so what is terrorism and is there realy one?
It allways depends on which side you are standing.

A catholic in northern Ireland wouldn´t have called the IRA Terrorists - a british soldier ordered to Belfast ...

For people like me, that simply don't want to get blown out of the sky on my next vacation trip, the word "terrorist" has a very real meaning. All the other political versions are just that... politics.

When labeling something an act of terror it is important to consider who is being terrorized, which might diminish some attempts at drawing a cheap equivalence.

i meant civilists, but since we are here, does it depend on who is affected by such acts of or similar to terrorism to decide whether it is actually condemnable as terrorism or not?

does anybody have some examples of photography with regards to the topic in any way? i would love to see some things that i don't know yet.
or do you have maybe have an opinion on how acts of terrorism are reported on and communicated in journalistic (or other) media?

i meant civilists, but since we are here, does it depend on who is affected by such acts of or similar to terrorism to decide whether it is actually condemnable as terrorism or not?

There are people in this world who should live in fear, I think. Not all acts of violence are necessarily condemnable nor are all conflicts merely unfortunate misunderstandings.

Last edited:
Well I see it as
Terrorism uses Violence , Brutality & Intimidation as a means of Excercising Political Will and Idealogy

Generally speaking Acts against Government policies using Violence would make One a Revolutionary though I suppose In Todays World a more Modern Day term would be a 'Terrorist''

A Government against the People using Violence makes for a Dictatorship

In either case its not a pretty Picture...:p

As for Examples its easy tp Find...look at Every Uprising, Every War and there You see the Courage of those holding a Camera and Documenting the Event....that the Truth be known

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back