Peering in to Catch the Sun

Peering in to Catch the Sun

51018519016_f66a53a3bc_o.jpg

Zeiss Ikonta 521A on Provia

David

Arcadia, Los Angeles County

images by Taipei-metro

PanasonicG6, CanonEOST4i
Panasonic 14mmF2.5 (#1, 3), Canon STM 24mmF2.8 (#2)
Kingston 16gb c10 Taiwan

My basic belief is this. Capturing the essence of a shot does not necessarily require a sharp lens. It requires the development of a sharp eye. Come to think of it, I suppose this is what HCB meant when talking about capture the "decisive moment". But perhaps it's more than this too. Its about recognizing or even creating that moment by being in the right place and time and seeing the potential moment beginning to emerge.
Other views?

Cold City Day, Cold City Street by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Waiting - An Exercise in Shadow, Blur and Grain by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

City Life, City Night, City Lane by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

My basic belief is this. Capturing the essence of a shot does not necessarily require a sharp lens. It requires the development of a sharp eye. Come to think of it, I suppose this is what HCB meant when talking about capture the "decisive moment". But perhaps it's more than this too. Its about recognizing or even creating that moment by being in the right place and time and seeing the potential moment beginning to emerge.
Other views?

Responding to your request Peter, and seeing so many varied images here in the thread:

I can't disagree with anything you've said here. For my part though, and with so many thread repositories on this site to post to, I read what Helen stated and try to keep to my sense of what that might be (tough to articulate but I think I get it :) Helen's "boils down to shadow and light" stays with me) and I post accordingly. To a certain extent, my approach as relates to images I would post to this thread is more about reacting in the abstract to what is out there when I am walking with my camera. With "decisive moment" and your images nicely illustrate that thinking here, for me those kinds of images come from a different place. I say "for me" not in anyway suggesting those (i.e. yours above ^^^ here) do not fit here, to the contrary.

In sum then, I would say, and Alen's image above ^^ also case in point, we all have our own sense of which of our own images "belong" here in Final Essence.

David

Responding to your request Peter, and seeing so many varied images here in the thread:

I can't disagree with anything you've said here. For my part though, and with so many thread repositories on this site to post to, I read what Helen stated and try to keep to my sense of what that might be (tough to articulate but I think I get it :) Helen's "boils down to shadow and light" stays with me) and I post accordingly. To a certain extent, my approach as relates to images I would post to this thread is more about reacting in the abstract to what is out there when I am walking with my camera. With "decisive moment" and your images nicely illustrate that thinking here, for me those kinds of images come from a different place. I say "for me" not in anyway suggesting those (i.e. yours above ^^^ here) do not fit here, to the contrary.

In sum then, I would say, and Alen's image above ^^ also case in point, we all have our own sense of which of our own images "belong" here in Final Essence.

David

I think that is a fair comment. I notice that when a thread starts it inevitably evolves because everyone here has their own style. Accordingly, having observed and participated in that, I tend to view these threads as being a bit like a long rambling conversation between friends - those conversations seem to meander all over the place often as the point of those conversations is that they are relaxed and engaging, unlike perhaps a business meeting which generally sticks strictly to a topic and agenda. Except here we are mostly using our own body of work to participate in that conversation more so than words.

I agree with Helen that it comes down to the shadow and light. My point I guess, is with me at least, its about capturing a moment - a moment which when the photo REALLY works, conveys an emotion that resonates with the viewer...... using, of course, shadows and light because shadows and light are the vernacular we use, not words.

Here is what I said in the intro to me and what I was aiming for, over at Flickr after I started posting many of my photos there some years ago:
" I am more interested in an artistic approach to photography - which demands not technical perfection, but commitment to creating mood. Given the choice, choose mood and atmosphere every time. A photo should not just be an image of place, it should aim to convey the essence of a moment.

In short I think we are all chasing the same elusive thing. We just all do it a bit differently.

Love your Thoughts Peter and David.

I try not to overthink anymore, get too heady, mental, over intellectualize

It's just the play of shadow & light, the emotive quality that gets You to
click the shutter and the final essence that draws the viewer in.

Seems to cover a lot of Ground and creates the Mystery to capture the photo...

Quite simply been Enjoying this thread and the way people 'see'

Thanks for your responses here Peter and Helen,

I clearly see where you are coming from Peter with regard to the moment. Of course there is no question when invloking the term "decisive moment' from HCB what was meant.

If I make an image where "decisive moment" emerges as key to the image, whether I would post it here or somewhere else, is tough to say (although maybe from here forward this conversation will enter into it).The image I posted most recently here involved a first time out with my son to shoot film with a couple of old 120 folding cameras. That warm light in the abandoned train station drew me in but what the viewer would not know was that it was maybe 20 degrees out and tough to stand still (no gloves) using a modern camera much less a 1930s Compur Rapid (his was Perkeo I with Pronto).

For me, the Shadow and Light component was there and capturing it had more to do with the process of first seeing and then dealing with so many factors; reflections shooting through glass, guess focus, and so on. There for certain was a decisive moment in the release of the shutter and that feeling of hope or trust that an image will emerge. An image that reflects Final Essence; none of the detail or tech stuff leading to the capture of that space matters. And to say nothing of the history I have with that place.

Which brings me to Helen's comment about overthinking. I agree it is about feeling, less about intellectualizing, at least when in the field shooting, and Peter from the look of your images I'd imagine the same holds true.

Of course it is fun to think through and analyze the process as we are doing here....hijacking Helen's wonderful brain-child of a thread! ;)

David

U77574I1615444810.SEQ.0.jpg

made with sigma sd15 with no IR blocking filter.
X3f file open with rawtherapee(I prefer this software over the spp. aka. pixel killer)
and I did gimp in some grain,not much only for cosmetic banding removal as I did mess the exposure up;)

Talking the Guys Head Off!

Talking the Guys Head Off!

51038313917_5a5e690e3d_c.jpg

Cafe Off-Castro, San Francisco

Zeiss 531A 75mm Tessar f 3.5 (@1/5th")

Not a Thru Street

Arcadia, Los Angeles County

Arcadia, Los Angeles County Dec 2020

images by Taipei-metro

Fujifilm XT100, Panasonic mFTG6
SEBC Fujinon 15-45 (#1, 2), Zuiko14-42 (3)
Kingston 16gb c10 card made in Taiwan

Overhead Lighting

Overhead Lighting

With this picture I'm reminded of a Fran Liebowitz' comment "The thing I hate most about nature is the overhead lighting."

51083610048_132c47a4f1_o.jpg

HP5-Plus cooked in Rodinal
Ikonta 531A

Back