The Moment We Have All Been Waiting For? Or Not?

Good news indeed.
Practical? Not.
If it just for 50mm, where are tons of native fifty lenses which doesn't require 230 USD adapter and bulk.

The Industar is actually smaller and lighter than the vast majority of rangefinder lenses. The M42 version probably should have been made in M39. I believe that the M42 Industar was the latest and perhaps best version of the Soviet mini Tessars.
Nobody needs to waste money to get SLR 50 3.5 Industar on RF cameras.
They are available in three different versions as collapsible and one rigid version. I went through all three of them. Some were very remarkable copies.
INDUSTAR-50 Soviet lens 3.5 / 50 mm Zorky FED Rangefinder Mount M39 | eBay
Rigid for RF I had was just as sharp as Leitz made.

Testing...testing... by Kostya Fedot, on Flickr

Even Jupiter-3 is very light and small lens.

Nobody needs to waste money to get SLR 50 3.5 Industar on RF cameras.
They are available in three different versions as collapsible and one rigid version. I went through all three of them. Some were very remarkable copies.
INDUSTAR-50 Soviet lens 3.5 / 50 mm Zorky FED Rangefinder Mount M39 | eBay
Rigid for RF I had was just as sharp as Leitz made.
Yeah, but I also use the Industar on my M42 bodies -- I obviously cannot use the ancient M39 Industar on any SLR body. But I would agree that the Shoten adapter (at the current price) is not worth it just to buy and use that particular lens. And the adapter is not $230. It is $170 shipped. :).

As a fan of old lenses, I like this idea, but I'm wondering about the benefits apart from the fun factor? Sure, we can use a 40 or 50 Pentax lens on a M body, but unless you have a real attachment to the way that lens renders and also an attachment to how M bodies handle, I'm struggling to see how much benefit the user gets from this outside of novelty. I have Dad's lovely Pentax M SMC 50mm f1.4, and it's great on a film body like the ME, but less than stellar adapted to a digital body like the Panasonic S5, particularly wide open.
Just brainstorming here, but assuming one does not want to wait for the C/Y adapter, here are some 50mm M42 lenses that would be fun to use on an M, especially if you already have them.

- Any of the 50mm f/1.4s by the major 1970s manufacturers -- like Pentax, Fujinon, Mamiya-Sekor, Yashica, Olympus, etc.
- German gems like the CZJ 50mm f/1.8 Pancolar, the Pentacon 50mm f/1.8, Domiplan 50mm f/2.8, the 50mm f/1.8 Icarex Ultron, CZJ 50mm f/2.8 Tessar
- Modern Zeiss/Cosina M42 ZS 50mm f/1.4.
- Exotic M42 50mm lenses like the Iscos, Alpas, etc.
- Any 50mm lens that you can convert to M42 with full focusing (like all those old Cine lenses that one guy in Europe does).
- All of those basically-free-today M42 50mm f/1.7 lenses made by the major Japanese manufacturers.
- All those decent Soviet 50mm standard lenses that came with the later Zenits.
- The new Meyer Optik 50mm f/2.8 Trioplan M42 lens, whose Leica M version does not RF couple.
- It would probably block the RF, but you could easily stack adapters to use a Pentacon Six CZJ 50mm f/4 Flektogon.

I think ultimately that a 35mm FL adapter may be more popular. However, if one is a fan of M42 lenses, this adapter is worth it in my opinion but it could be a little cheaper.

Last edited:
I don’t get it. Why would it be fun to use a 50mm M42 lens on a Leica? If you want to use a 50mm M42 lens because of its special character, Why not put it on an M42 body. Wouldn't that be fun?

Last edited:
You could use one of these adapters with a 50mm macro lens and (possilbly) an extension tube on a digital M to make the world's most expensive film scanner.

Back