The Monochrom as a landscape camera.

Seriously awesome and inspiring work, Carsten. I wish I could do an MM, but I can't so I think I'm upgrading my Canon 7D to a 6D and getting a few Zeiss primes.

Great for landscape, too. For me, an important argument pro MM is size.

This one was MM and MS-Optical Super Triplet Perar 35/3.5, three shots stitched. I have MM and Perar nearly always with me, also when running.... Would have missed this shot with a DSLR. The best camera is the camera in your hand when the light is right... One shot (the left) had to be severely underexposed for highlights. The shadows are pushed 2.5 stops here, with acceptable result (1/180 sec ISO 320 to 1/60 sec ISO 1250 with f:4)

8366984953_97b313bfe2_b.jpg

90 AA, 1/250 sec f:2 ISO 2000, mosaic stitch
8356508447_ae1bb5af4b_b.jpg

Nocti 1.0 1/90 sec f:1 ISO 1600, B+W 060 Yellow-green filter
8357574196_ba06d479bb_b.jpg

Carsten
Flickr

Great for landscape, too. For me, an important argument pro MM is size.

This one was MM and MS-Optical Super Triplet Perar 35/3.5, three shots stitched. I have MM and Perar nearly always with me, also when running.... Would have missed this shot with a DSLR. The best camera is the camera in your hand when the light is right... One shot (the left) had to be severely underexposed for highlights. The shadows are pushed 2.5 stops here, with acceptable result (1/180 sec ISO 320 to 1/60 sec ISO 1250 with f:4)

Carsten
Flickr

You're totally right about size, I often end up taking my fuji x100 instead of my 7D. I've thought hard about going with an xpro1 or xe1, and I might consider them on the next iteration, but for now I think the 6D will get me the IQ I want. It's smaller and lighter than my 7D and with two primes won't be bad on a hike. There's a look, a level of detail, but also a lot of mystery to your shots that I would love to emulate, although most of that is your skill obviously.

This is an interesting thread. It seems like Monochrom works very well for the landscape photography, like current sigma cameras or D800e. No one has ever seriously considered 35mm as a landscape camera until D800e, but the world is certainly changing.

I still clearly see the limitation of the 35mm wide angle lens compare to the larger format, and lack of tiltshift lens is a huge drawback for Leica camera.

I still clearly see the limitation of the 35mm wide angle lens compare to the larger format...

Please, why ?

... and lack of tiltshift lens is a huge drawback for Leica camera.

From time to time I shoot landscape formats to be stitched vertically, and refocus every shot (with the lens´ sweet spot aperture, to avoid diffraction), this makes for kind of digital tiltshift. A variant is refocus within a horizontally stitched panoramic, needs a bit of practice but works nicely.

Carsten
Flickr

I have used out to 25 with landscapes often. I have just got the Monochrom and I am looking forward to trying the Zeiss 18. It was Carsten's first two shots here more than anything else that persuaded me to consider the Monochrom. I like to take a lot of architectural shots and I use the 21 and 18 as a poor man's tilt shift, cropping away the foreground. This will work better with the Monochrom than the M9 with the increased resolution. One of Carsten's landscapes above is with the 15 Heliar.

Back