The Most Beautiful Cameras Ever Made: Part 1, Interchangeable Lens Rangefinder 35s

And no, I have no idea of what that period of design might be called. But I think "Bad Taste" will cover it nicely.
Would it qualify as "mid-century modern", do you think? A lot of mid-century modern architecture and decor look pretty good today, but when shrunk to smaller-scale items it could look a bit "busy." Another camera that I think embodies that aesthetic, or at least tried to, was the Kiev 5 (!)

The Leica M in its many versions, is elegant, the writing on the front of the camera however, & either one of the red dot ideas, .....not so much.
As for some of the photos of cameras offered up here.... clearly we have different ideas of beauty.

Last edited:
I have always regretted that the M5 does not exist in a black paint version. That black chrome is really bad. No black chrome Leica is beautiful.

Erik.
This was a user chrome M5 until I had it refurbished by Alan Starkie, including Ti curtains.

DSC_8114.jpg

This is an article about the most beautiful cameras, not any particular lenses. The only beautiful camera listed that commonly takes Schneider lenses is the Robot Royal 36S, which is shown with a 45mm f/2.8 Schneider Xanar.

Robot built nice, distinctive 35 mm cameras. The Royal 36 is one of Robot's best ever offerings. I also happen to enjoy your columns in Modern Photography and Popular Photography, the first columns I ever read when I subscribed to both magazines. Enjoyed reading your articles always. Thanks from a longtime fan! Thanks, Jason!

My dream interchangeable lens RF has to be the 1938 Zeiss Ikon Tenax II, with its square frame (and 50 shots per roll), its rapid film lever wind, very compact form and your choice of the best glass in the world - at that time.

zeiss-ikon-Tenax_II.jpg

After seeing a Contax IIA advertised by KEH in Collectible Classic mag they did, I knew I had to have one. My first was a 3-digit serial # BD with a 5cm/ 1.5 Opton Sonnar. Eventually sold it for a Color Dial model but still have the Sonnar. As time went on, 20+ yrs, my collection grew to now include 2 Zeiss-Ikon Anniversary BD models and Zeiss lenses 35-135. It was the sexy photo of the IIA that started me into vintage cameras and my insane sickness which has taken over every linen closet in our house, much to the chagrin of my wife!😆

Robot built nice, distinctive 35 mm cameras. The Royal 36 is one of Robot's best ever offerings. I also happen to enjoy your columns in Modern Photography and Popular Photography, the first columns I ever read when I subscribed to both magazines. Enjoyed reading your articles always. Thanks from a longtime fan! Thanks, Jason!
Not much discussion on this thread about the Robot Royal 36 and the lenses made for it. I have the 35/2.8 Xenogon, 50/2 Zeiss Sonnar, and the 75 Schneider. My question is was there ever any lens hood made for the Xenogon as the glass is fairly large, and could seemingly encounter a bunch of flare. I have never seen any answers or thoughts to this question. Any Robot users have any experience with this, as I’m about to break out this beast getting ready for a trip to CA’s wine country. Definitely one of my most unique collectibles I haven’t used much in a long time.

After seeing a Contax IIA advertised by KEH in Collectible Classic mag they did, I knew I had to have one. My first was a 3-digit serial # BD with a 5cm/ 1.5 Opton Sonnar. Eventually sold it for a Color Dial model but still have the Sonnar. As time went on, 20+ yrs, my collection grew to now include 2 Zeiss-Ikon Anniversary BD models and Zeiss lenses 35-135. It was the sexy photo of the IIA that started me into vintage cameras and my insane sickness which has taken over every linen closet in our house, much to the chagrin of my wife!😆
Just the linen closet? What an amateur! ;)

The M5 came out while I was in high school and I wanted one in the worst way. But that was a fantasy given my meager finances. Fast forward to some months ago. I not only got an M5, I got a very clean 50 Jahre Jublilee edition of which only 1750 were ever made. I believe the seller was someone that hangs out on RFF.

After a quick trip to DAG for some love and care, the camera runs like it was new. The only flaw I have found is a small vulcanite chip near one of the strap lugs. Dream fulfilled, albeit decades later.

I can't believe that no one mentioned one of the prettiest cameras ever made (IMHO). The Contax G1, the G2 isn't quite as nice due to that focusing wheel on the front, sorta like a wort. One like the picture is what got me to participate in RFF, I was disappointed to find that the G series isn't actually a rangefinder but still it's damn good looking.

DSC_0497.jpg

DSC_0501.jpg

I can't believe that no one mentioned one of the prettiest cameras ever made (IMHO). The Contax G1, the G2 isn't quite as nice due to that focusing wheel on the front, sorta like a wort. One like the picture is what got me to participate in RFF, I was disappointed to find that the G series isn't actually a rangefinder but still it's damn good looking.

View attachment 4835401

View attachment 4835402
Yes, gorgeous camera. I think of it as an honorary rangefinder.

Back