The Official RFF FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

Greg,

I thought I would try you on Cricket:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.​

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

A very 'English' game although, as usual, once we taught the damned foreigners to play they have the affront to beat us with annoying regularity :D
:eek: don't confuse me with cricket! I'm still trying to decipher what tom.w.bn said!;)

30 minutes!

I guess if Rooney remains well, England will play the last games... I wish we could see the great Ronaldinho too... What a shame!

I don't like any team, but I adore one only player, and hope he keeps making the world happy: Messi!!! The best ever!

Cheers,

Juan

:eek: don't confuse me with cricket! I'm still trying to decipher what tom.w.bn said!;)

tom's comment is a bit misleading :)

You are, of course, right that in the game of football/soccer it's one goal = one point like in hockey. So if a game ends 3:2 it means that one team scored three goals and the other one two.

What tom meant was that in this round of the tournament a team gets three points for winning a game, one point for a draw and zero points if they lose. In this round there are 8 groups with 4 teams in every group. During the next couple of weeks all the teams within a group will play each other once, gaining as many points as they can (i.e. tournament points, not points in the match). At the end the two teams with the most points in each group will advance to the next round. From this point on every game will decide which team advances and which team stays in the torunament.

So, here it is, The Official RFF World Cup 2010 Thread. It will stick around in the Members Only forum until the champion is crowned, and then moved to the Off Topic Forum for archiving. But for now, let's have some fun.

USA USA USA USA USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in! Waiting for the start. Thanks for getting this thread going.

/

You are, of course, right that in the game of football/soccer it's one goal = one point like in hockey. So if a game ends 3:2 it means that one team scored three goals and the other one two.

What tom meant was that in this round of the tournament a team gets three points for winning a game, one point for a draw and zero points if they lose. In this round there are 8 groups with 4 teams in every group. During the next couple of weeks all the teams within a group will play each other once, gaining as many points as they can (i.e. tournament points, not points in the match). At the end the two teams with the most points in each group will advance to the next round. From this point on every game will decide which team advances and which team stays in the tournament.

thanks for the clarity! makes the tournament quite interesting!:)

What tom meant was that in this round of the tournament a team gets three points for winning a game, one point for a draw and zero points if they lose. In this round there are 8 groups with 4 teams in every group. During the next couple of weeks all the teams within a group will play each other once, gaining as many points as they can (i.e. tournament points, not points in the match). At the end the two teams with the most points in each group will advance to the next round. From this point on every game will decide which team advances and which team stays in the torunament.

Right, and this is great about world cups: even the best team or player in the world can lose just one match and go home... Wild! And most players can only play in a world cup once, twice or three times if they're very lucky, so this is THE REAL THING!

Ten minutes for England-USA!

Cheers,

Juan

Oh right. I forgot that there are games where one goal or basket is not always one point.

Dude, this is the USA in the World Cup. I gotta celebrate every goal we get. Never know then the next one is coming. ;)

just watching the US's spacing makes me laugh.

go look at the argentina game: they are spread wide, keeping the ball on the ground, no off-sides, defense never caught off guard.

usa: bunched together from end to end, no wider than the center circle, sleeping on defense every time.

If the US continues the pressure they have shown for the last 15 of the first they might just add another.

Right now I'm saying US 2 and the balmy army 1

Back