The Ultimate FLARE Thread: Pics Please

Marc-A. said:
Wow weird. Are sure aliens weren't trying to contact you? And you didn't reply ... :D

It usually happens at full aperture with back light ... I didn't sense an alien presence. I can be a bit slow on the up-take, however.

Holy and Personal Flare

Holy and Personal Flare

Sometime I kinda like what an old collapsible Summicron can do

attachment.php

collapsible Summicron @ f4.0 or so

and sometimes I don't

attachment.php

collapsible Summicron @ f2.8 or so.
Guess, I wasn't watching my back.

StPeters.jpgdrlFrnkfrt.jpg

51.9mm Dual Range Summicron

51.9mm Dual Range Summicron

Never never ever ever point your 50mm Dual Range Summicron toward the sun.

Attachments

• DR - Flare.jpg
    DR - Flare.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 0
Flare?

Flare?

Here's a shot that's been puzzling me. I took it with a Rokkor 40/2 on a CL over Thanksgiving in Newburyport, MA on Kodak HD 400. The mid-afternoon sun was well to my left, and I was using a lens hood. I'd suspect a light leak or a shutter problem but it's the only shot with the problem and the camera was thoroughly overhauled last year. (The shot is in mid-roll, I didn't change lenses during the roll, and I try to avoid pointing the camera at the sun. I had a half-case on the camera as well.)

As I scanned this image just now, I looked closely at the film strip and saw that the "flare" extends into the area beyond the frame and crosses the sprocket holes on top. I wonder: drugstore-processing error or something else?

Attachments

• Newburyport_flare.jpg
    Newburyport_flare.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 0
raid said:
Brian Sweeney suggests to blacken the aperture blades to reduce flare.

Interesting... Most of my lenses seem to have blackish blades already, but I can still imagine how a bright light might bounce off them. What's the best way to do it?

mjflory said:
Here's a shot that's been puzzling me. I took it with a Rokkor 40/2 on a CL over Thanksgiving in Newburyport, MA on Kodak HD 400. The mid-afternoon sun was well to my left, and I was using a lens hood. I'd suspect a light leak or a shutter problem but it's the only shot with the problem and the camera was thoroughly overhauled last year. (The shot is in mid-roll, I didn't change lenses during the roll, and I try to avoid pointing the camera at the sun. I had a half-case on the camera as well.)

As I scanned this image just now, I looked closely at the film strip and saw that the "flare" extends into the area beyond the frame and crosses the sprocket holes on top. I wonder: drugstore-processing error or something else?

Did you fly commercial with this film possibly? Could it be Xray exposure?

crawdiddy said:
Did you fly commercial with this film possibly? Could it be Xray exposure?

Nope, we drove amateur. :D

I think it's either a slip-up at the drugstore or I let the camera sit at just the wrong angle to the sun for a while. (The latter seems unlikely, though, as we were walking along the docks all the time and I was shooting fairly regularly.) Maybe I'll take one of the little 12-shot ASA 800 rolls I got from David M. and give the camera a torture test.

mjflory said:
Interesting... Most of my lenses seem to have blackish blades already, but I can still imagine how a bright light might bounce off them. What's the best way to do it?

Michael,

Brian has a thread about it at some website. He even posted photos before/after blackening the aperture blades of a Menopta. There is a significant reduction in glare.

Just developed this, along with a lot of others.
Schneider 47/8 on 6x9. I love the way this lens "fails" to handle harsh lighting.
Exposure was 15 seconds at F/16. HP5 and Rodinal.

Attachments

• Smithy.jpg
    Smithy.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 0
as it's the only lens I own...
Zeiss 35/2 Biogon, from Victoria Peak, Hong Kong

attachment.php

Attachments

• shipping lane sunset.jpg
    shipping lane sunset.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This one was deliberate, right into the low afternoon sun to see what sort of flare might appear. I was out using for the first time a new 35mm f2 Asph Pentax... I'm surprised at the effect, lots of flare around the source but no "artifacts".

Attachments

• 070525-11big.jpg
    070525-11big.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0
dazedgoneby-
I had no idea this was possible!
Come to think of it, what we see in the image must be reflections from the edges of the aperture. Correct? Or am I missing something basic about the pinhole?

Here's one from my Leica IIIf and Jupiter-3. Never seen the Jupiter do this before. It's on 4 or 5 pictures from that day, but nowhere else on the roll.

Attachments

• flare.jpg
    flare.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 0
Back