• healthy mix of filmand digital

Votes: 128 34.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
3:38 AM
For 2011 so far, what would be the most applicable response?

Options:

1. Film .... at least 80% of images taken
2. Digital ... at least 80% of images taken
3. Pretty much a healthy mix of digital and film

Last edited:
I want to know the latest trends at RFF to see where "we stand" so to speak. While digital photography was not widely spread a few years ago at RFF, I see many signs of excitement in member's postings on their use of digital cameras. These postings sound even more "emotional" than users of MP and black M3 ... etc.

Last edited:
The mix will change for sure but where I was 100% digital until a few years ago, I now use film for most everything (like the good old days). The one thing that is changing for me is using a Leica R4 to complement the use of my M3. It just adds more versatility for me on location. Not to mention the beautiful glass that is available for the R4 at much lower cost than the lens for the M3.

But, digital has found a matching role in my work, so, we'll see how my own mix changes over the next couple of years.:) I suspect it may even decrease because I plan on learning to develop my own film in short order.

I shoot more images with digital but with processing and scanning I spend more time with film... nature of the beast I guess.

Pretty much all digital for me these days. With all the nice full-frame cameras available, film in 135 format has become redundant to me. I really get better images with a digital camera. Ive learned to accept and embrace that hard truth.

I only use film now for "important" shots with 6x7 cameras, and am looking to replace that with 4x5 soon. These are for shots I plan to exhibit.

Sold my digital SLR gear in '08 to go completely back to film. Still have a LX-3 though, mostly for eBay though. The only problem was the time and expense required for developing but since I've started doing it myself that's no longer an issue.

I voted for the "healthy mix" option. By body count: film bodies by a considerable number. By images taken: it is just too easy to rack up shutter count on a digi. For me at least, film shots take more consideration and the total is lower. But, with much more joy, well, sometimes not so :(.

In the last 6 years I had been all digital. Now I am returning to film and I find that there is a definite place for both in my life. I am inclined to say that film is making things fun again and making me think more about photography as opposed to just banging away.

Film.

First of all an emotional thing as Hume already shown us looooong time ago.
Secondly. (And here comes the rationality supporting my emotional reactions); Its nice to have a storage media that is future proof.
Film offers also a wide variety of possibilities and formats that I like to elaborate with. Plus all the cool cameras available giving me a connection to history/photographic history.

My opinion is susceptible to criticism for anti-modernism and a "threat" to the narrative of the progress driven technological society.
Why should I care? :cool:

A 'healthy mix', but I learned and grew up with film and I find it gives me the most satisfaction. I can't see myself buying another DSLR in the near future but I do seem to keep acquiring film cameras...

I am only shooting digital (Canon G10). But not M-rangefinder digital. I am looking for a good M8. They are down at 12.000 NOK now which is slightly outside my reach. I havn't used my M-film gear since the automn of 2009. I plan to sell my MP which I bought from Olsen back in 2008 - or when it was. But I will keep my ZM Biogon 25 mm 2,8 and ZM Planar 50 mm 2,0.

I did shoot negative color film (Kodak Gold). I have no B/W lab. Then it is far cheaper for me to shoot digital. To go back to film is not an alternative for me.

100% film. Always will be. I have a little digital P&S that's great for shooting photos of film cameras that I want to sell. Have to admit, if I shot color then things might be different, but I don't.

I use digital rather little mainly because I do not have any digital camera worth a real use - one old DSLR with poor AF, way too few MPix and unimpressive high ISO performance. But truth also is that I use 35 mm film rather little (have only Konica Auto S3 in that format) and mostly use the Mamiya 6 and here and there 4x5.

I actually reached the point when looking for a compact on-the-road camera and I am strongly considering on one side Contax T3 and on the other some well done digital compact. I sadly realized after checking out E-PL2, GF2 and NEX-3/5 that while the bodies are getting reasonably sized, the lenses are way too large/long for a compact camera. Even the new X100 seems on the large side (the depth of 5.4 cm is just too much for what I am looking for - actually very comparable to Konica S3)

Maybe the new Olympus XZ-1 could be the answer ... price is the same, size of both is OK. Leica X1 could do the job - much thinner than X100, but the price is high.

I am only shooting digital (Canon G10). But not M-rangefinder digital. I am looking for a good M8. They are down at 12.000 NOK now which is slightly outside my reach. I havn't used my M-film gear since the automn of 2009. I plan to sell my MP which I bought from Olsen back in 2008 - or when it was. But I will keep my ZM Biogon 25 mm 2,8 and ZM Planar 50 mm 2,0.

I did shoot negative color film (Kodak Gold). I have no B/W lab. Then it is far cheaper for me to shoot digital. To go back to film is not an alternative for me.

Spoks,

It was in 2009. It's a pitty that you don't use the MP. Then you can just as well sell it. But keep the ZM glass. I deeply regret having sold mine when I finally got a M9.

Back