Things I've learned about myself this past month...

oldwino

Well-known
Local time
4:29 PM
I'm constantly going through a re-examination of my photography. Lately, it's been about "how" I like to photograph - which lenses suit me best, which cameras get the best results. Here's what I've found:

1. I seem to do better with SLRs rather than Rangefinders. Which is funny, as I have shot with some sort of Leica RF almost exclusively for the past 4-5 years. But the fairly recent purchase of a Nikon FM3a has shown me how much I enjoy that shooting experience, and I like the results better than what I am getting from the M2 at the moment. Maybe it's just the change of working method, or the added benefits of SLRs (closer focusing is one big advantage), or the fact that the lenses are very good AND very cheap (at least compared to the M-mount lenses).

2. I much prefer C-41 to ECN-2. I do all my own film processing and scanning, and C-41 is...just....better.

3. Rodinal is king. The ease of use, the ease with which you can adjust contrast, grain, etc is just amazing. I've chased other B&W developers down many pathways, but Rodinal is home.

4. The Ricoh GRIII is a pretty amazing camera. I know i'm very late to this party, but jeez, what a great concept this camera is. Snapshot photography, once the raison d'etre of the Leica, is fully realized in this little camera. No fiddling, no choosing which lens, which film, which whatever...just shoot. Leica almost did this with the X2, but gave up on it.

5. The Rolleiflex is amazing too. I can't get over how lovely the Schneider lens on my E3 renders. The mechanics are superb. The details on the camera are wonderful, right down to the font used on the frame counter. Such a pleasure to use.

Anyway, what has everyone else been up to during the RFF changeover?

I have also settled on a Nikon SLR (F2), as my long term camera. Not selling my Leica M5 yet but the thought crossed my mind. For times when I want to shoot with careful composition and don't care about weight or stealth, I would go with my Nikon. By the way, I loved the Fm3a and often regret selling it.

Likewise, I like Rodinal a lot too. It took me a while to get used to stand development. But I still use DD-X for faster films, or for pushing films.

I also realized I was lusting after the Ricoh GRiiix too much but could wait because I sold the GRIII off pretty quickly. And I have way too many 40mm lenses on analog systems...

As for me, the main realization I reached during the RFF changeover is that even though I don't post on RFF so much I rely on it a lot for looking up stuff, people's reviews and experiences with various cameras.

Regarding 1, I tried SLRs a couple times recently and found I'm pretty much lost without a focus tab and short focus throw. But decades ago I used an FM for years and love my work from then. So I guess it's what you get used to.

Regarding 4, Amen. I believe I could sell everything and be content with just the GR III. The older I get the more I value small and light.

Finally, on 5, I inherited a 3.5F that I've tried to get along with. Just too big and heavy. I prefer my Holga.

Thanks for sharing this; you've made me reflect on my own lessons learned.

John

After spending some time with Deus Ex Machina by Ralph Gibson, I realized while going over photos worth posting on Instagram that I have a pretty consistent black and white style. I went into Affinity Publisher for a lark and started a temp layout and sure enough have more than enough good black and white pictures for a coherent book that I would be very proud of. I just need to put work into building up an audience of people willing to buy it.

I also upgraded to a Fuji X-Pro3 but haven't yet taken a picture I'm happy with. It feels a lot more complex than my X-Pro1 even though it's far more refined and I have it set up so that I never have to go into the menus while shooting.

After spending some time with Deus Ex Machina by Ralph Gibson, I realized while going over photos worth posting on Instagram that I have a pretty consistent black and white style. I went into Affinity Publisher for a lark and started a temp layout and sure enough have more than enough good black and white pictures for a coherent book that I would be very proud of. I just need to put work into building up an audience of people willing to buy it.

I also upgraded to a Fuji X-Pro3 but haven't yet taken a picture I'm happy with. It feels a lot more complex than my X-Pro1 even though it's far more refined and I have it set up so that I never have to go into the menus while shooting.

Making books is great! For a while, I was trying to put together 4 books a year. It forced me to really pay attention to archiving and I learned a lot about sequencing and "flow". I never really worried about selling them - I gave a lot away to family & friends (who "seemed" to enjoy them) - but just the act of making them taught me a lot. I still have several folders on my Mac of uncompleted book ideas.

Good winter project!

The GRIII is indeed an amazing camera. I love to use it in A mode with highlight-weighted metering, and will typically let the shadows go deep to get a saturated color look in the highlights. Sweet, sweet files. I am really hearing the siren call for the GRIIIx because 40mm is my favorite focal length, but what will I do when I need 28? Using anything else I'll miss what I get with the GRIII. Can't really afford to keep both though.

Impart your wisdom with Rodinal! I have used it for almost a couple years by this point, but I don't feel like I have the flexibility you speak of dialed in yet. I mainly use 1:25 or 1:50 and have found a couple of great film matches for it (Foma 200 is particularly good at 1:25) but I'd like to vary things up a little.

First post on the new forum! Thank you to Stephen and the tech crew for making this happen.

My photography in the past month has mostly been a combination of snapshots with the Sony RX0 and more considered work with the Panasonic S5 + Minolta lenses.

For me, the RX0 is the ultimate snapshot camera, as it is only the size of a DSLR battery but has an excellent 24mm equivalent lens, silent shutter, pretty fast response time and surprisingly good image quality. It has replaced the Ricoh GRD III, GR, and Panasonic LX7 which were my primary snapshot cameras. Due to those cameras developing lens extension motor problems over time, the RX0 with its non extending lens gives a real sense of security and (hopefully) longevity.

The Leica M9 has been my go-to personal camera for high quality work, but it has given way to the Panasonic S5 in the past couple of months. The S5 has amazing high ISO capability, better dynamic range, faster burst rate with a deeper buffer, and the accuracy of EVF shooting took me by surprise. I've had good EVF cameras like the Panasonic G9 for a while, but the full frame sensor of the S5 takes the overall experience to another level.

Also, I didn't realize how much the greater minimum focus distance of SLR lenses would make a difference to me. My favourite RF lens, the Zeiss Distagon 35, has a MFD of 70cm. This is workable for most situations, but the 30cm MFD of the Minolta MD Rokkor 35mm f2.8 is so helpful.

The S5 doesn't have the haptics and feel of the M9, nothing feels like a Leica rangefinder, but the overall shooting experience is very positive for me. The colours of the S5 are different from the M9, which I am getting used to. They are more accurate, but I want to get a more M9 colour palette where possible. I'm thinking of expanding my SLR lens collection to Leica R, Contax and Zeiss classic because of this. Many RF lenses work acceptably well with the S5, and they make a very compact, low profile package, but the minimum focus distance is what gets me.

I’ve come back to a preference for SLRs (Nikon) as well, though I love my M3. Lately I’ve been drawn to using my AF cameras. I need more practice using the AF lock button!

It’s funny how the heart says rangefinder, but in reality another system can work better for your actual photography. For me, it’s digital and mirrorless but still with that rangefinder shape and the viewfinder to the side. Also, I agree on the Ricoh GR … though I prefer the new 40mm version. I also agree that the Rolleiflex is special.

It’s funny how the heart says rangefinder, but in reality another system can work better for your actual photography. For me, it’s digital and mirrorless but still with that rangefinder shape and the viewfinder to the side. Also, I agree on the Ricoh GR … though I prefer the new 40mm version. I also agree that the Rolleiflex is special.

The M9 has been my thing for the past 11 years, and to find myself shooting primarily with the S5 is honestly kind of disturbing. There's almost a sense of emotional betrayal of my favourite camera, haha. In 2017, I went on a work trip with the Panasonic GH4 as my main camera, and I had a blast shooting with autofocus and a zoom lens. The M9 always makes its way back because of the unique colour palette and image quality, but... RF focusing is kinda clunky compared with a good EVF that shows focus everywhere in the frame and allows for field curvature. On my last work trip, I took the G9 and M9, and the limitations of both became apparent - the G9's still image quality wasn't quite what I wanted, and the M9 had lots of red noise in lower exposure situations. The S5 removes both of those problems.

For years, I've been shooting with focus-recompose, and I'm not bad at it, but the EVF makes things a lot easier. Not to mention, having high quality video in the primary stills camera is a definite bonus for personal work, and essential for paid work. The experience is making me wonder about the SL2-S, which is functionally a souped up Panasonic S1 with beautiful looks, great handling, and better M-mount compatibility. Lord have mercy, hahaha.

What have I learned about myself?

I'm looking forward to retirement!

I'm getting very {expletive}ing sick of this lingering pandemic! :(

Well, maybe not the past month, but the past year...
The Pestilence led to early retirement, and gave me time to work intensively and think a lot. The work (and the thinking!) have led me to the conclusion that maybe I'm no longer the primarily rangefinder guy that I was for decades, and that medium format SLRs better suits my current goals and working methods. Interacting with my subjects has become vastly more important than snatching images on the fly, and the increased resolution of MF feels somehow more respectful of my subjects, allowing them to "speak" more clearly and fully. As well, bringing a big Hassie to the scene does give the message that you mean business, in a good way, when engaging in portraiture and social documentation. Very different from whipping out a phone for some quick snaps!
The other discovery? I like automation, and electronic cameras. There, I've said it! Blasphemy!!! But I've bonded with a pair of Pentax 645's more than I have with any other camera I've used.
The M6 and the M6TTL just might go up for sale, if these insights prove legitimate over time. I never thought I'd hear myself say that, but there's a lot of funds tied up there, and I'm getting very tired of feeling like I need an armed guard and a climate-controlled bubble every time I take them out. Paranoia does not make for an enjoyable shooting experience.
In any case, we have to keep changing and growing. And I think it's most interesting when the change and growth happen in ways we never anticipated!

Once I started to take pictures for myself, I ended up back with RF. I have tried many SLRs. Last batch was some Nikons. Best mechanical and or manual focus SLRs. I let them go all recently with some good, not expensive lenses and keeping couple of Canon EOS SLR and couple of Leica RF. If I ever to use film again.

ECN-2 is only worth it if it is dirt cheap. I still have some early batch of Kodak 50D, which I got for next to nothing.

Rodinal is quick and dirty. HCB is the modern king, while I like D76 results most, it seems or xtol. Just don't try old HP5+ in Rodinal, I keep forgetting it.

I have GRD III and even GRD now, couldn't find reason to overpay for GR III.

Rolleicord lens is just as good and Rolleiflex lens. Don't miss photography with it, but it is nice shelf item.

:)

If I want feel good camera and well saturated, sharp images I more and more use Leica M-E 220. Can't find something to be on pair with it.

Still love my M9. Currently I have on it the short focus throw no tab 50 Elmar M, but a perfect compatible hood designed for the original Elmar and taken from my DR Summicron. For ages it was only being used with the Summaron M 28 with occasional 90 Macro Elmar shots. Today I have had the Hasselblad and 150 Sonnar out for some tulips doing well on the hearth. I do love working with that camera, slow, deliberate, mirror lock, cable release. I also like zooming through Instagram and seeing what's there. And our photographic group is mostly there, interacting mostly wordlessly, with some emails between us too.

The new forum seems to be working well. Thanks Stephen and Jorge.

I learned the importance of being prepared. Prior to going in for spinal surgery at the end of September, my spouse and I took the time to view the videos of what to expect both before and after entering the hospital. We bought grabbers so I wouldn’t have to bend to pick things up. Two pairs of waking shoes to help with rehabilitation. Loaded the freezer with meals we had prepared beforehand. Mostly, because I was so ready at home, I was released from the hospital early. I spent less than a week using the walker to help get around and now with the aid of a walking stick, I can cover about three quarters of a mile at a rime and currently I’m doing that four times a day. Within the next week, I’ll start carrying the Retina IIa with me as my circle expands. I’m hoping to be just as ready for that.

I've learned I don't need to buy any more vintage cameras and to leave them exactly where they are - at the antique co-op store. (I'm not discounting future moments of weakness) :)

Have recently been using old Minolta SR-T, XE-7, and XD-11 bodies & Minolta lenses as well as an old Konica T2 and Konica lenses - all excellent bodies and lenses. Grew up with these SLR's; lot's of fun; they bring back many pleasant memories and produce excellent results. What's not to like?

I have learnt that my romance with point and shoot cameras is well and truely over and one by one I am selling them. Quality is the key from now on. I also shoot well with an SLR but I do like the M6 and the freedom it gives from bells and whistles. Most recently I have been spending more time post processing and learning to dodge and burn like I used to in darkroom days. The main difference is that in GIMP I do it once and that's it. Speaking of SLR use, my funds released from the point and shoots bought a lovely Nikon F4 with some left over for film.

What I learned...

The moment when you stop caring what other people think; when you start to disregard people's expectations of what a good photograph is supposed to be… when you look in the mirror and say to yourself I know what I want to create and then you follow through with it - that’s the moment when you’re free. After that creativity can flourish; all will be what was meant to be on your creative journey. It's truly liberating!

All the best,
Mike

Back