thinking of the x-pro1

@Ryan1938: excellent photo. I'm also thinking for a choice between the OM-D and the x1 pro. I already have the german x1 (36 mm eq) and I think could have beside an OMD with a medium tele on it. On the other side the Fuji solution seems me more complete...
robert

so what would i buy a xp1 for? future lenses? why not wait for a newer much improved xp2?
the x100 has my favourite lens...a 35 on it, it's small and light and sharp and lovely...

No harm in forgetting about the X-Pro1 and getting a X100. I made some 20x30" prints from the X100 recently and they looked great.

this torture (first world problem) would be more excusable if i were a better photographer!

Most of us are in the same boat. :)

@Ryan1938: excellent photo. I'm also thinking for a choice between the OM-D and the x1 pro. I already have the german x1 (36 mm eq) and I think could have beside an OMD with a medium tele on it. On the other side the Fuji solution seems me more complete...
robert

Prior to testing both the XP1 and the OMD, I used a Leica X1 exclusively for a year. I love that little camera. My only real complaint is the focusing performance. As I'm sure you know, both manual focus and auto focus are dismal. I learned to live with that and still love the X1. Great camera.

However, moving from the X1 to the XP1 is a glorious experience. Manual focusing with the XP1 is not much better, but the AF is sooo much quicker and soooo much more accurate.

Of course, the OM's AF is even better... But, the OM lacks the "mechanical" feel of the X1 and the XP1. It feels more like a computer while both the X1 and the XP1 feel like REAL cameras - size, weight, physical buttons, tactile, etc...

baby-662x441.jpg

The X-Pro1 seems pretty light to me, but then all of my other cameras that size are older film cameras. Well, perhaps my Bessa R is about the same weight.

I bought the Assist Grip, and I really like the feel and handling of the camera with the grip attached. It feels secure in my hand.

I'm still trying to get used to handling a camera with a huge LCD and so many buttons and dials and gizmos on the back and periphery of the body. I'm trying to find the most comfortable places to put my thumbs.

The X-Pro1 seems pretty light to me, but then all of my other cameras that size are older film cameras. Well, perhaps my Bessa R is about the same weight.

I bought the Assist Grip, and I really like the feel and handling of the camera with the grip attached. It feels secure in my hand.

I'm still trying to get used to handling a camera with a huge LCD and so many buttons and dials and gizmos on the back and periphery of the body. I'm trying to find the most comfortable places to put my thumbs.

I don't even use the LCD. I turn it off completely. The only time I do use it for reviewing images or checking exposure. Other than that, it remains black. I've gotten confident enough in the camera's focusing accuracy that I rarely peak.

Of course, the OM's AF is even better... But, the OM lacks the "mechanical" feel of the X1 and the XP1. It feels more like a computer while both the X1 and the XP1 feel like REAL cameras - size, weight, physical buttons, tactile, etc...

Same issue I have with the nex.

The big day finally arrived yesterday. The XP1 was faithfully delivered by UPS, along with the 35/1.4, a 16gb SD card and an extra battery. Last night was battery charging night only without making any custom settings since it arrived with firmware ver. 1.00 and I knew I'd be updating soon.

This morning I updated body and lens firmware, then set about adjusting it to my liking. I then went out and made some unremarkable exposures to see that everything was working correctly. My take:

The XP1 has a nice quality feel. Even in quiet mode it's a little noisier than the X100, but not actually noisy, probably do to the different shutter. The dreaded shutter jitters didn't seem to be present or else I'm not very observant. The 50mm equivilant view with the 35 seems like a telephoto compared with the X100's 35mm equivilant! The lens is all that it is said to be. I have to wear my glasses with the X100, which I've never before done. I found a Cosina/Nikon +2 diopter in my junk box which fit the XP1 enabling me to use it without glasses. Yea! All-in-all I'm very pleased with the X-Pro1. It makes me feel unworthy. That will pass.

Now, do I keep the X100 or trade it for another XP1 lens? For now, anyway, the X100 is in no danger of being sold. It is a fine camera in its own right.

I don't even use the LCD. I turn it off completely. The only time I do use it for reviewing images or checking exposure. Other than that, it remains black. I've gotten confident enough in the camera's focusing accuracy that I rarely peak.

Hmmm. I didn't know you could turn off the LCD. Well, of course it goes off when you bring the viewfinder to your eye.

I'm enjoying the camera. I'll have to read the manual one of these days.

Now, do I keep the X100 or trade it for another XP1 lens? For now, anyway, the X100 is in no danger of being sold. It is a fine camera in its own right.

I've been asking the same question. In the end I'm keeping my X100 for now. LOVE that camera and it's smaller than the X-Pro1 so I can carry it everywhere. Literally. Can't throw the X-Pro1 in my laptop bag.

Then when possible I'll have the X-Pro1 along.

I've been asking the same question. In the end I'm keeping my X100 for now. LOVE that camera and it's smaller than the X-Pro1 so I can carry it everywhere. Literally. Can't throw the X-Pro1 in my laptop bag.

Then when possible I'll have the X-Pro1 along.

Exactly so!

Back