Thypoch lenses from China

The new software requires that you enable seeing the Signature Lines on other people's posts. Boojum had it enabled.

Did not matter that it was on a desktop. What mattered is the display options set on each user's account.

Glad I’ve helped.

You must be the bottom 5% still surfing on a desktop, fiy.
Coming from someone that uses a Rangefinder Film camera, that is really ironic. What? Maybe the bottom 0.0005% of people taking pictures? Most are probably on this forum. Both- Desktop users and Film Rangefinder users.

I use a Desktop computer as it is easier to hook up many drives, have multiple copies of my digital images, and keep storage off-line: physically disconnected from the Net. Display resolution is higher, and the processors are faster compared with Laptops. I mostly shoot digital images, and takes a lot of storage. USB drives are cheap these days.

Last edited:
Nowadays 95% of the world surf on their phone. I’d personally venture with the figure 99.99%.

Last edited:
Nowadays 95% of the world surf on their phone. I’d personally venture with the figure 99.99%.
I just checked the numbers in Google's Search Console for one of the websites I run.

75% of traffic was mobile. 25% was desktop.

And this was a website with a target audience that skews towards the younger demographic (16-35), so I'd expect a much higher percentage of mobile traffic than the internet average. Meanwhile, another website I run was closer to 66% mobile, 33% desktop.

In short: your numbers are demonstrably wrong, and while I don't have access to the Search Console for RFF, I imagine the numbers are reversed here; not only do older demographics tend to prefer desktop browsing over mobile, but photographers are vastly more likely to prefer using desktops for the reasons Brian gave earlier.

Personally, I can't imagine anything worse than trying to view (much less edit) photos on the average mobile/touchscreen device. No thanks.

Do you write your book on your cell phone? The students are either using laptops or large tablets, these can be categorized as mobile devices but not cell phone. Well, I use desktop with alienware all the time.

And we must all do what 95% of the gonzos in the world do? Really now, that seems utterly ridiculous.

I do very little web surfing with a smartphone, more with a tablet, and the most with a laptop or desktop computer. Particularly photographic sites because of the larger devices' better screens. But if you're happy to look at al photographs constrained to an itty-bitty little display, so be it.

Just stop being such a jerk and the forum will remain a better place. :D

G

“ The data revealed that around 9 in 10 (92.3%) internet users access the internet using a mobile phone of some kind”

But it also depends how you decide to understand things… 70% of cell phone internet users also use their desktop to surf the internet. A good example would be listening to a podcast/youtube while retouching photos.

But the numbers are there: 92.3%.

Most people that surf the web really do not understand the underlying technology. Hardware, protocols, software, and interfaces. Most do not bother to try to fix it, which is why Ned still has a link to his dead website showing. This thread has gone into the "If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS" realm.

The original topic- Lenses made in China. I expect to see more offerings, interesting lenses, and even better quality. The price will creep upward for the top quality lenses. Once they reach Cosina prices- that is where innovation will have to step in. Leica will also up their game, not wanting Cosina and others offering higher quality at a lower price. As my Dad told me when I was picking a career, "There is always room for the Best". Also, "Lead, Follow, or get out of the way". Sometimes it takes a kick in the ass to motivate. In late 1950s, Leica got a kick in the ass from Canon- and improved their lenses. Since 1999, got a kick in the ass from Cosina to bring out the 50/1.4 Asph Summilux and 50/0.95 Noctilux. With the latest from Cosina and China- will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Most people that surf the web really do not understand the underlying technology. Hardware, protocols, software, and interfaces. Most do not bother to try to fix it, which is why Ned still has a link to his dead website showing. This thread has gone into the "If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS" realm.

The original topic- Lenses made in China. I expect to see more offerings, interesting lenses, and even better quality. The price will creep upward for the top quality lenses. Once they reach Cosina prices- that is where innovation will have to step in. Leica will also up their game, not wanting Cosina and others offering higher quality at a lower price. As my Dad told me when I was picking a career, "There is always room for the Best". Also, "Lead, Follow, or get out of the way". Sometimes it takes a kick in the ass to motivate. In late 1950s, Leica got a kick in the ass from Canon- and improved their lenses. Since 1999, got a kick in the ass from Cosina to bring out the 50/1.4 Asph Summilux and 50/0.95 Noctilux. With the latest from Cosina and China- will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The old adage that competition makes for good business still applies. Et aussi nous avon le maudit cave, enteté comme un Acadian

I do believe we will find our way out of this scrofulous quagmire. We live on hope.

I just received another China built 50… TTArtisan 50mm f1.4 asph M. Not checked focus or taken any pictures yet, so time will tell, but it feels very nicely put together and handles very well on the camera.

50s - how many is too many?

Leica will also up their game
I wish they would...but will they?

The new 35 and 50 Summiluxes are mechanical refinements of 20-year-old optical designs (they are lovely designs, by the way...but the state-of-the art has moved on). They missed an opportunity to up their game. They could've really pushed things forward...but they didn't. They are leaning into being a luxury branding company...selling projectors and watches. Every once in a while, they do something wild with lenses (the 50 and 35 APO), but they don't seem invested in wowing us so much anymore.

Good thing there are other companies willing to take up the mantle.

The ‘Leica as brand’ concept, whilst entirely normal in today’s luxury market feels a long way from their origin. Brands have to maintain certain aspects of quality, but there is far more to sustaining exclusivity and market position than what you make - or contract to be made. Remember the Seiko ads describing a Rolex as an expensive imitation?

I always want my notion of Leica to succeed - the business that sent Jewish people out of Germany to safety during the holocaust feels a long way from today’s luxury brand, even though I’m sure prices were high then. I’m sure there are engineers at the heart of the business who really care about what they do, but that can easily get lost in branding.

I just received another China built 50… TTArtisan 50mm f1.4 asph M. Not checked focus or taken any pictures yet, so time will tell, but it feels very nicely put together and handles very well on the camera.

50s - how many is too many?

Let me know when you find out. I am still searching. ;o) "One more won't hurt."

I wish they would...but will they?

The new 35 and 50 Summiluxes are mechanical refinements of 20-year-old optical designs (they are lovely designs, by the way...but the state-of-the art has moved on). They missed an opportunity to up their game. They could've really pushed things forward...but they didn't. They are leaning into being a luxury branding company...selling projectors and watches. Every once in a while, they do something wild with lenses (the 50 and 35 APO), but they don't seem invested in wowing us so much anymore.

Good thing there are other companies willing to take up the mantle.
I'm reading that Leica will bring out a new version of the 50/0.95. I've seen a number of photographers reporting purply haze with the 50/0.95+M11 combination. Pictures shown with that combo shows a problem, would be interesting to test. I asked Chris at Skyllaney to test for UV and IR leakage, but he did not see anything that would cause the problems. Maybe it's firmware, something over-correcting? I do not know.

ANYWAY! Will be interesting to see what comes out next from the Chinese companies.

How many 50s are enough? I have Fifty 50mm F1.5's, between Zeiss Sonnars, Jupiters, Canon, Nikon, Topcon, and Leica.

I have thought about the LLL Elcan, off and on. The CZJ 5cm f/1.5, the KMZ Jupiter 8, the Cooke Amotal and the Skyllaney Bertele pretty much fill my "50" needs. I have a Canon f/1.4 and f/1.8 also which are both good lenses and another KMZ Jupiter 8. So the LLL Elcan is a fun thought but as much needed as roller skates for a hog. I am hoping to get out more and start executing defenseless electrons. Between the 50's and the 55 and 120 for the HB I am pretty much set.

The biggest thing the Elcan has going for it after quality is price. USD800 is pretty good for what you get. But does the hog really need roller skates?

How many 50s are enough? I have Fifty 50mm F1.5's, between Zeiss Sonnars, KMZ+ZOMZ+VAldai Jupiters, Cosina/Voigtlander, Canon, Nikon, Topcon, and Leica.
I just counted, I only have 49. No Leicas, Topcons or Nikons, but a lot of Sonnars, Jupiters and ZKs, a Canon and a couple of Voigtlanders

the artisans lens I have 50mm f1.1, 28mm f5.6 both bought from BH, especially the 28mm is well made and the price is excellent for the quality they offered. Through many years manufacturing for western companies, they can make lens in a competitive price range. Credibility is important in business after the chaos LLL offers in this forum and the price they asked I lost interest.

Back