TLR with split focusing screen?

Forest_rain

Well-known
Local time
6:19 PM
Are there any TLRs with those split prism things in the center of the focusing screen? I'm currently using a Kiev 6C with a microprism center spot and am having trouble getting good focus. I prefer the split screen - any models besides the expensive Rollei TLRs which have these?

If I can't find one I might just order a $40 screen for my Kiev on ebay...

I have one of Rick's split prism screens with a thirds pattern grid on my Rolleicord Va. It makes a real difference in focusing the camera. Well worth the money.

My two Rolleiflex Ts have split circular screens which are removable. My Rolleiflex 3.5E2 and my Rolleicord Vb have square grid screens. All four have removable WLFs and screens.

So they are, or were definitely available for the Rolleis in their day. The issue will be whether you can buy these and where to find them.

Post #2 offers possibly the best source.

My Rolleiflex T has a split screen, but I changed it to a brighter center focus screen. I had the same problem you did; I liked the brighter screen, but went back to the split focus. Last time I checked Rick didn't have a split screen for any of my TLRs. Ebay says they have some but you never know if they will fit.

I'm currently using a Kiev 6C with a microprism center spot and am having trouble getting good focus.

If I can't find one I might just order a $40 screen for my Kiev on ebay...

I'm not totally clear what you want. A screen to put in your Kiev, or a new camera?

If you like the Kiev, just put a new screen in it. For $40, you won't find a decent quality screen for a Rolleiflex. And if you need to buy a new Rolleiflex, well, $40 is certainly the cheaper way to a split screen.

Most Rolleiflexes with removable hoods came with a split focus screen. But over the years, people have changed screens, etc. so commonly that you need to confirm what type of screen is installed in any Rolleiflex you are looking to buy.

I don't know the specific microprism screen in your Kiev, but if you can't get good focus with it, you should perhaps investigate if something is wrong with it, because generally they're at least as accurate as split screens. The position or the screen or mirror may need adjustment, or the viewfinder diopter may be not right for your eye.

It is too bad, but it is encouraging to hear the that the OP has the exact problem I do. I have a Pentax Spotmatic with a microprism screen and I have no problem focusing IF I use my f1.4 lens. But put a f3.5 28mm it makes things harder. I also have a Pentax P3n with a split image screen; I can manually focus this easily even with a 28mm or my 20mm lenses.

So, with the Rolleiflex T split is the only screen I'm confident with.

Bill Maxwell can likely make a screen for you if you can't find anything available. He supplied the focusing screens that I used in my last three Rolleiflex cameras and they were far better than anything Rollei or other third party providers ever offered. See his info at Maxwell Precision Optics .

G

I don't know the specific microprism screen in your Kiev, but if you can't get good focus with it, you should perhaps investigate if something is wrong with it, because generally they're at least as accurate as split screens. The position or the screen or mirror may need adjustment, or the viewfinder diopter may be not right for your eye.

I probably just need to practice with the microprism screen. I have only used split screens. It works fine but it's difficult to "nail" the focus and I need to really scrutinize the center area to determine if it's sharp or not, while the split screen does all the work for you.

I'm not totally clear what you want. A screen to put in your Kiev, or a new camera?

If you like the Kiev, just put a new screen in it. For $40, you won't find a decent quality screen for a Rolleiflex. And if you need to buy a new Rolleiflex, well, $40 is certainly the cheaper way to a split screen.

Most Rolleiflexes with removable hoods came with a split focus screen. But over the years, people have changed screens, etc. so commonly that you need to confirm what type of screen is installed in any Rolleiflex you are looking to buy.

I want a second MF format body for other reasons, besides that my Kiev is extremely heavy. But I'll probably buy the split screen for the Kiev anyway. It seems like only Rolleiflexes have the split screens. I wonder if these screens were expensive or difficult to manufacture at the time, compared the 35mm split focusing screens which are quite plentiful. Maybe it has to do with the larger size of the 120 screen.

I probably just need to practice with the microprism screen. I have only used split screens. It works fine but it's difficult to "nail" the focus and I need to really scrutinize the center area to determine if it's sharp or not, while the split screen does all the work for you.

Rather than staring harder, try to wiggle focus back and forth until you've found best focus. But do also investigate the diopter; even if you don't need correction, it's possible the camera has a correction diopter installed.

Rather than staring harder, try to wiggle focus back and forth until you've found best focus. ...
Essentially what I was just going to suggest, having "grown up" with Pentaxes which typically have this kind of screen. Wiggle the *camera* back and forth to make the center focus area ripple if it's out of focus.

Essentially what I was just going to suggest, having "grown up" with Pentaxes which typically have this kind of screen. Wiggle the *camera* back and forth to make the center focus area ripple if it's out of focus.

Yes, right, you can't focus a micro prism or whatever it is called if you have it on a tripod.

BUT you can (on a tripod) focus a split image focusing screen.

^^ True, and if you can't wiggle the tripod, you can focus with the usual coarse groundglass circle around the microprism area. :angel:

I don't find a central focusing aid very useful on a tripod, unless what I want in focus is right there in the center (which it often isn't). For that reason, I usually just get a plain screen with a grid, so that I can focus on any part of the screen. I'm not typically in a hurry, so I just jockey it back and forth until I'm sure that I nailed focus.

- Murray

Don't chase this problem by replacing the camera with another of unknown provenance. Make sure the Kiev is perfectly adjusted first. The ground glass and film plane need to be matching exactly in focus. You have to also ensure the prism is seated and spaced properly. Then you need to ensure your eye has practice within the exit pupil cone of light that you're looking into. Do you wear glasses? All of these factors will affect your ability to focus correctly, especially with a 60 year old camera.
Phil Forrest

You know, every time an issue like this comes up I read a half a dozen responses calling out the calibration necessity for the mirror/lens/focal plane alignment. And I know this is a critical issue that can cause a variety of focus difficulties.

The thing is: Despite all the SLRs and TLRs I've had, all the bashing about they've been through, drops, etc etc, not a single one that I've had has ever suffered a misalignment reported when I had it serviced. Ever.

It's just a curious thing... :)

G

You know, every time an issue like this comes up I read a half a dozen responses calling out the calibration necessity for the mirror/lens/focal plane alignment. And I know this is a critical issue that can cause a variety of focus difficulties.

The thing is: Despite all the SLRs and TLRs I've had, all the bashing about they've been through, drops, etc etc, not a single one that I've had has ever suffered a misalignment reported when I had it serviced. Ever.

It's just a curious thing... :)

G
This is largely true, but in this case we're talking about a FSU camera. I've had FSU cameras and lenses that would not hold adjustments, so these things are issues that can pop up. Granted, I'll concede that you can usually pick up a thrift shop Pentax K1000 or Spotmatic, and the focus is perfect, but they aren't Kiev...
Phil Forrest

Yes, right, you can't focus a micro prism or whatever it is called if you have it on a tripod.

BUT you can (on a tripod) focus a split image focusing screen.

Why not? My Leicaflex SL has a micro prism central focusing aid and focuses beautifully when I have it on the tripod. The optical effect, just like with a split image focusing aid, is not dependent upon camera motion.

(I mostly focus with the surrounding matte fresnel field anyway, but the aids are intended to get you into the ballpark quickly, if not as accurately.)

G

Back