TLR with split focusing screen?

Why not? My Leicaflex SL has a micro prism central focusing aid and focuses beautifully when I have it on the tripod. The optical effect, just like with a split image focusing aid, is not dependent upon camera motion.

(I mostly focus with the surrounding matte fresnel field anyway, but the aids are intended to get you into the ballpark quickly, if not as accurately.)

G

I never had a Leica SLR but I can't focus my MP finder(s) when it/they is/are on a tripod (it seems to need a movement for my eyes). I guess I have to yield to your superior vision.

I never had a Leica SLR but I can't focus my MP finder(s) when it/they is/are on a tripod (it seems to need a movement for my eyes). I guess I have to yield to your superior vision.

It's probably the cut of the micro prisms. Nikon used to sell about five or six different micro prism focusing screens to use with different focal length lenses ... some I could barely see, others were very obvious in the appearance of the out of focus fracture and coalescence. The Leicaflex SL has a nice one (of course) that is useful for a wide range of lenses.

G

It's probably the cut of the micro prisms. Nikon used to sell about five or six different micro prism focusing screens to use with different focal length lenses ... some I could barely see, others were very obvious in the appearance of the out of focus fracture and coalescence. The Leicaflex SL has a nice one (of course) that is useful for a wide range of lenses.

G

I have to agree with that; no experience with Nikon. But whichever one I have used the focal length of the lens does change the character of the micro prism performance. But back to TLRs generally one lens and I found the glass somewhat expensive MP screen I purchased just didn't work for me. Which, of course, was too bad because it was not much but somewhat brighter.

Consequently, I have only two MP screen cameras now.

I found one of the issues. It looks like when the aperture on my Kiev is stopped down, the auto aperture pin is not being fully depressed. That means it is not metering/focusing wide open, but at something like F4 or F5.6 instead.

I hope that makes sense. I may create a shim to make the aperture pin longer so that it fully opens the aperture when you cock the shutter.

I tried focusing at F2.8 instead and it was much easier with the microprism. So that seems to be part of the issue.

I feel like necroposting, so thrrrrp! to all the naysayers, lol.

Anyway, The Seagull 4B-1 has a split image rangefinder. Of course, you'd have to get one from a reliable source that has/will check and service it.

I feel like necroposting, so thrrrrp! to all the naysayers, lol.

Anyway, The Seagull 4B-1 has a split image rangefinder. Of course, you'd have to get one from a reliable source that has/will check and service it.
Hmm... Personally, I'd suffer with the worst screen going before purchasing a Seagull, split image screen or no. Checked and serviced? Good money after bad! My experience with several Seagulls, years ago, was that they literally fall apart in your hands. The worst FSU horrors are like a Hasselblad in comparison.

Hah! Not only necroposting, but responding to three year old comments ... ;)

I have to agree with that; no experience with Nikon. But whichever one I have used the focal length of the lens does change the character of the micro prism performance. But back to TLRs generally one lens and I found the glass somewhat expensive MP screen I purchased just didn't work for me. Which, of course, was too bad because it was not much but somewhat brighter.

Consequently, I have only two MP screen cameras now.

Hasselblad offers split-image RF screens as well as MP screens, as well as others with both or neither. One of these could likely be adapted to a TLR if needed. Or you might get someone like Bill Maxwell <[email protected]> to make one for you, presuming he's still around and still making focusing screens. Bill's matte-fresnel focusing screens for my '51 Rolleiflex MX and other Rollei TLRs were so good* that I never felt the need for any other focusing aids.

* Some alternative focusing screens available on the market were famed for their superior brightness. Bill concentrated on developing focusing screens that had improved contrast as well as some increased brightness, rather than just on brightness ... His were the best!

G

Necroposting in more ways than one. Charjohncarter has since passed away. Not that it makes your information less relevant or welcome to the rest of us. And poignantly, it keeps his memory alive for a little longer.

Necroposting in more ways than one. Charjohncarter has since passed away. Not that it makes your information less relevant or welcome to the rest of us. And poignantly, it keeps his memory alive for a little longer.
I was aware that John had passed away, although it did not occur to me when i wrote my post earlier today. In that, i hope the information helps others, and raise a glass in memory of my friend John.

G

Hasselblad offers split-image RF screens as well as MP screens, as well as others with both or neither. One of these could likely be adapted to a TLR if needed. Or you might get someone like Bill Maxwell <[email protected]> to make one for you, presuming he's still around and still making focusing screens. Bill's matte-fresnel focusing screens for my '51 Rolleiflex MX and other Rollei TLRs were so good* that I never felt the need for any other focusing aids.

* Some alternative focusing screens available on the market were famed for their superior brightness. Bill concentrated on developing focusing screens that had improved contrast as well as some increased brightness, rather than just on brightness ... His were the best!

G

I heartily agree with you, Godrey.

I have a Maxwell matte-fresnel screen (with a grid) in my Minolta Autocord. I also chose no central focusing aid, as I normally shoot on a tripod and the primary focus is often off-center. I, too, have been very happy with this screen for its brightness and its ease of focus.

- Murray

I’m sure a lot of people like their Maxwell screen but the one I had in my Rollei 3.5F just didn’t work for me. They’re bright at the expense of contrast and for my eyes, it’s more difficult to focus accurately and quickly compared to the original Rollei screen.

I bought an Olson screen and liked it better than the Maxwell but in the end the original Rollei screen snapped in and out of focus making it easier for me to focus. The downside of the Rollei screen was a little darker image that I can deal with.

I used Rollei SL66’s for thirty years in my work and found the later version of their standard factory screen to be superior and even adapted one to a Rollei MXV2 with great results.

Everyone’s eyes are different as are everyone needs are different. I like contrast over brightness but you may feel different. Also keep in mind, I’d you don’t like the screen after you buy one, the Maxwell is extremely pricy.

When I had my Hasselblad digital back I used it on my 501CM. The back came with a bright screen that was great, Acute-Matte D, that hit the sweet spot imo for brightness and contrast. They may make or have made Rollei screens in the past.

Beattie intensascreen was another brand but they’ve been gone for decades but you might find a good used one. They had a good reputation among the pro crowd years ago.

Last edited:
X-ray, the Acute-matte technology was Minolta's, and they licensed it to Hasselblad. I haven't heard of Minolta licensing it to anyone else, though I suppose it's possible.

- Murray

Back