To tab or not to tab, that is the question

To tab or not to tab, that is the question

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have two or three lenses with tabs but I don't like them at all. If I had grown up with Leica it might have been different. The only thing worse than a tab is an infinity lock.

I wish the DR summicron had a tab. It might be the "perfect 50" for me if it did.

Some lenses need them; some don't. Longer lenses with reasonably wide, easily felt focussing rings don't need them. Lenses like the pre-asph 35 Summicrons definitely do. My first gen Tri-Elmar does, to make sure I focus with the focussing ring and not the focal length changing ring. Which is why it now proudly wears a tie wrap.

Henning

I really dont like tabs. It's true - some lenses do need them, but i still dont like them. Most of my lenses dont have them. And the ones that do - are the lenses that I really, really like - otherwise i wouldnt put up with them. I even sold some lenses that I liked ONLY because I just couldnt deal withthe tab - like Minolta Rokkor 40/2. At the moment I only have 3 lenses that have tabs - and only use one on regular bases, just because it's so good.

You can focus by touch, once you know the lens.

I'm with Roger on this one too. Focusing by position of the tab has become indispensible for me. Using them, the camera can be nearly, if not fully in focus before it's even at eye level. This minimizes a great deal of "fishing for the sweet spot".

Very useful indeed.

Any collapsible has to have a tab...

I have tabbed/non-tabbed Jupiter 8s and can't say I prefer either. A lens with a larger barrel doesn't need a tab but it's useful on a slimmer lens.

Back