Too Many X's!!!

dave lackey

Mentor
Local time
6:57 PM
Okay, so I am not into musical chairs. I am not into reading about the chairs and until recently I haven't even used a chair in almost two years. What?

Actually chairs is not what I am talking about... It is gear in general and specific cameras in particular. Up until 24 months ago, I had a pretty good handle on Leica products and a working knowledge of every other manufacturer. Now, I could care less about the other manufacturers and have been focusing on my own interests in photography, not gear. But I need to keep up a little with my chosen tools, namely Leica and the continuing changes.

Forgetting the M products (too expensive), I am stunned at the variations of the X series. Does anyone have a comparative review on the differences? I am far too busy to search and read every review but a nice summary and comments would be helpful. I have always loved the simplicity of my Leicas, but trying to keep up with their products alone is more than I want.

Unfortunately Leica seems to have jumped on the bandwagon a little when it comes to new models. I wouldn't have a clue what they offer aside from the M range.

Unfortunately Leica seems to have jumped on the bandwagon a little when it comes to new models. I wouldn't have a clue what they offer aside from the M range.

Keith, it is certain they are expanding as part of their chosen corporate vision. I wish them well. Their path for future products has little to do with me outside of the fact that I might be interested in a used model down the road.

With casual carry everyday on the street, documentary work. Again it is easy. Film. The M3/M6.

With pocketabity, digital, the X1/X2.

But, I gotta tell you, the F6 is finding a versatile spot in my bag with small lenses. The X bodies slide into the bag and virtually disappear so I am sticking with my X1 for now and after several years I could not be happier with it.

So I guess my hybrid nature is a little complicated but it is what it is... Fun!:)

X1 = 12mp fixed lens (as you know)
X2 = Same thing but 16mp and faster in all ways
X-Vario = Zoom X
X Type 113 = X with faster lens f/1.7 and larger body
X-E = newer X2 basically

Okay, so I am not into musical chairs. I am not into reading about the chairs and until recently I haven't even used a chair in almost two years. What?

Actually chairs is not what I am talking about... It is gear in general and specific cameras in particular. Up until 24 months ago, I had a pretty good handle on Leica products and a working knowledge of every other manufacturer. Now, I could care less about the other manufacturers and have been focusing on my own interests in photography, not gear. But I need to keep up a little with my chosen tools, namely Leica and the continuing changes.

Forgetting the M products (too expensive), I am stunned at the variations of the X series. Does anyone have a comparative review on the differences? I am far too busy to search and read every review but a nice summary and comments would be helpful. I have always loved the simplicity of my Leicas, but trying to keep up with their products alone is more than I want.

Boils down to this -
1. Each camera has anAPS-C sensor
Lens choices - Zoom or fixed? if Fixed, slow or fast?

Thats about it! once you answer those basic questions you can then choose the model that works best for you.
If the goal is to get a "budget" M - then your best choice is the XVario
Outstanding image quality - nice zoom range.
Heavily discounted at the moment.
whats not to love? :)

Thanks, guys,

That begins to summarize it but now there are the special editions and such. ???

The small size and quality of images are the two primary considerations for me. Aesthetics and ergonomics after that. :)

The X Vario looks interesting, with its large enough sensor and zoom lens. Compared to the M9, it is small, and the bag can be small since there is no need to carry a whole set of lenses. It may be more reliable than the M9. But it has no optical finder.

I have nothing against LCD rear screen viewing. I think it aids composition. But in bright sunlight a viewfinder is essential (for me).

I just picked up an X20. Having bonded well with my X10, I wanted to try out the improved X20 finder with focus and exposure info in the finder. I'll be taking it on our short trip next week.

Yeah, I'd probably like an X1 or X2 as well. But how many boats can you water-ski behind at the same time?

They're all special Dave.

I like that. :)

The X has become my standard "grab and go" camera, fitted with an optical viewfinder, a half-case, and a Street Strap. Put a 32G card in it and a spare battery in my pocket: I'm good for a week or two. It is pretty special!

G

I like that. :)

The X has become my standard "grab and go" camera, fitted with an optical viewfinder, a half-case, and a Street Strap. Put a 32G card in it and a spare battery in my pocket: I'm good for a week or two. It is pretty special!

G

I own the X, X Vario, M-E and M Monochrom. With all of those great choices, the X is the one I take out the door with me on most days, and it is likely the one I will use the most on my upcoming trip to Korea.

Hi Dave, I'm just back from the backstage shooting of a session of model shooting. I mean other people where involved to shoot a model in a studio (it was one of practical lesson on a photo course) and I shot the backstage.
Which camera? X1 of course :)
If size is important for you X1 or 2 are the way to go. Versatility ? Vario. 1,7 lens? X113 (last addition in the range).
But versatility and fast lens come with a price to pay: they are larger, I never misread them but form what I have seen the are similar in size to an M6 (I guess just a little smaller).
SpecialEdition? No thanks :) at least for me.

Hope this helps.

robert

Attachments

• baackstage1.jpg
    baackstage1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi, Dave. I'm pretty partial to my X100s as long as I don't need fast focus in low light. The slow focus of the X-T1, even with the fast 56mm on it, is why I sold the camera. I want my boxes to go click when I push the button.

There are just four X's at the moment:
X (113) - newest with a fixed 23/1.7 lens.
X-Vario - with a slow 18-46mm zoom.
X-E - basically the older X2.
X2 - older camera, with a 24/2.8 lens. I guess they're selling inventory.

There is a special edition LEICA X ‘EDITION MONCLER’ mentioned on the Leica website, but it is a no-go as they screwed up the aesthetics by swapping the red and blue lines :D

X1/X2 if you want super portable, and low fuss pictures. Fixed 24mm (35mm equiv). Only the X2 or XE available new.

X-Vario if you want super versatile, zoom is stunning, and while it seems slow, it is not that bad. Don't write it off as slow until you have at least tried it. Nearly everyone who has tried it has come round to the fact it IS a great camera.

New X (Type 113), is the latest, and larger/faster, incarnation of the X1/X2.

Can't go wrong with any of them. I have the X1, it's a keeper for me, and also the X-Vario. I'm tossing up selling either the X-V or the T (yet another model, different story), I don't need both.
Gary

The pocket-ability is of prime importance for me as is the OVF in bright sun shooting. I have found that my CV 28 works just fine.

Currently, I keep the X1 with whatever film camera I am using as it rides along with little space requirements in my bags. Most times I have it paired with the M3/6 or with the F6 for color while I am using black and white film.

All comments above have been helpful this week in educating me after my sabbatical. Now (after the season of the witch), I am almost finished picking up every stitch!

Hi, Dave. I'm pretty partial to my X100s as long as I don't need fast focus in low light. The slow focus of the X-T1, even with the fast 56mm on it, is why I sold the camera. I want my boxes to go click when I push the button.

Hi, Sam!

Back in town? :D

We need to set up another RFF meet up soon. Sorry you couldn't be with us last month. Let me know your general availability and I will put the word out.

Magical Light, as Thorsten Overgaard mentions, is what makes the X1 fun. Just happened to have the X1 in my pocket and grabbed this. So, yes, any camera you happen to have on you is better than the one you wish you had...but I have both:

attachment.php

Does anyone have a photo showing the size comparison of the 113 (I hate these new names) with a IIIF?

Attachments

• Magical Light 2 Leica Cave May 2015 rff.jpg
    Magical Light 2 Leica Cave May 2015 rff.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 0
Hi Dave, I'm just back from the backstage shooting of a session of model shooting. I mean other people where involved to shoot a model in a studio (it was one of practical lesson on a photo course) and I shot the backstage.
Which camera? X1 of course :)
If size is important for you X1 or 2 are the way to go. Versatility ? Vario. 1,7 lens? X113 (last addition in the range).
But versatility and fast lens come with a price to pay: they are larger, I never misread them but form what I have seen the are similar in size to an M6 (I guess just a little smaller).
SpecialEdition? No thanks :) at least for me.

Hope this helps.

robert

Robert, that backstage looks like fun! I did that once and learned a lot but the experience was amazing. :)

Back