Canada Toronto get together Oct 27th?

I'm going to keep my eye on this thread to find out the location and time, then judge my "home situation" to see if it would be "prudent" to head downtown for this get together.

I'm working on the 27th, but might be able to drop by for a few minutes _ depending on time and place.

Peter

I've not been there, but what is the Irish Embassy like, on Yonge St, downtown? It always looks inviting, and it wouldn't be far from where Peter and Dave work.

Gene

[Edit: 49 Yonge St, just S of Adelaide]

Last edited:
GeneW said:
what is the Irish Embassy like
I've passed by quite often, but never been inside. However, if the music is as loud inside as it appears to be from the outside, we wouldn't get much conversation in.

Peter

peterc said:
I've passed by quite often, but never been inside. However, if the music is as loud inside as it appears to be from the outside, we wouldn't get much conversation in.

Peter
Doesn't sound like a good meetup place. Any other downtown suggestions?

Gene

Wow, glad to see there's so much interest in a gathering. Really looking forward to meeting you guys. Not being familiar with the city, I'll leave it to you guys to pick the location. We'll have to toast Brad on his upcoming wedding and Dave, it would be great to toast you on your birthday! Hope everyone can make it, at least for a quick drink. Those that can stay longer, all the better. Heck, at this point I may even have some time during the day on Friday so if anyone wants to go shooting please let me know.

-Randy

Ok, Lets head to the Rebel House, it is on Yonge St. just south of Roxborough and across the street of the Rosedale Subway station. Geographically its midtown and on the Yonge subwayline for those dependant on public transit. Firday is the day, so Randy what is your day's schedule shaping up. Are you flying out in the evening or are you leaving on the weekend. Please PM me.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your help coordinating things. I don't yet know my Friday schedule but should know better very soon. And I don't fly out until early Saturday morning. I just pm'ed you with my regular email so we can communicate more easily.

Thanks again and I'm really looking forward to hooking up with all you guys.

-Randy

Peter, Dave, and Gene, are you guys okay with mid-town? It's not a problem for me if I'm coming in from the north, but I think you guys are more downtown, no?

Edit added later: Brad, the poor guy getting married :) is downtown too. But I should stay out of the planning if my participation is not certain.

Last edited:
FrankS said:
Peter, Dave, and Gene, are you guys okay with mid-town? It's not a problem for me if I'm coming in from the north, but I think you guys are more downtown, no?

Again, I'm leaving the location up to you guys since I'm not familiar with Toronto. However, for whatever it's worth, I will be staying downtown.

-Randy

emailing with Randy, he has the whole day free. So for those who can make lunch and we can go shooting later. I am still thinking the Rebel House for about 12 noon. It is mid-town and the Subway stop is Rosedale on the Yonge line. For those car dependant ample parking is on Roxborough west of Yonge.

Why the Rebel? Well great kitchen, and and even better beer list. Yorkville is a short walk away.

I am going to be free for a chunk of the day but I will have to bail around dinner time as I have a class on Saturday at Ryerson.

Bill

Thanks for organizing this Bill. Day works better than evening for an old codger like me, so I'll meet you guys at the Rebel House.

Gene

I'll try.. I can't promise - I was thinking of taking the day off (after all.. it IS my birthday... ) but I have a luncheon date that day - I'm going to see if I can move the Luncheon to the previous day (26th) and take the Friday (27th) off and perhaps meet you guys there.

I may have SomeCanuckChick in tow.. her and her boyfriend (who also lusts after Leicas) will be in town for my festivities :D

Dave

Sounds like a great afternoon is coming together. Thanks, Bill, for organizing things. Gene, glad you can make it. Dave, I hope you can rearrange your lunch plans to be able to join us. And it would be great if SomeCanuckChick and her boyfriend can make it, too. Frank, Peter, Guy, BJ, 1Dave, I hope you guys can make it too. Gee, this is starting to sound like a party!

-Randy

Do we have a rough idea on how many people will be coming for lunch? The Rebel is a first come first serve kind of establishment and a small one at that, however being a weekday it won't be so bad for space. Also does everyone have a handle on where it is?

How did I miss this thread when I was the first Toronto guy to respond??

Earl, party at the cottage… we’ll see

Bill, the Rebel Yell is small but there are a ton of places between there and Summerhill so it'll work

Randy, if you're downtown do you know what hotel chain you are staying at? I could come by and we could take the subway.

I'll probably have to give this meet a miss. With my work hours, noon is about when I begin to consider getting up on a Friday.

Peter

jan normandale said:
Randy, if you're downtown do you know what hotel chain you are staying at? I could come by and we could take the subway.

Hey Jan, that's a nice offer. I'm staying at the Holiday Inn on King. Would be great to meet there and take the subway together. I'll shoot you my email so we can more easily communicate.

Thanks,
Randy

Back