Trent Parke's new Monograph "Monument" Released this morning....

Trent Parke´s books just go up in value. He's one of the only people who make a living selling prints and books without having to do anything else. I see no harm in buying a $130 book that will just go up in value. It is sure to double and most likely even more...even the second edition. I would not let that price stop you. Most Stanley Barker's books are almost a sure thing to appreciate.

Minutes to Midnight is already expensive in all editions. You are looking at $250+ at the cheapest. I think I paid $40. I'm glad I bought them in the past. I decided against Monument just because I have enough of his work and his B&W work is not my favorite.

Minutes after Midnight is odd, because their are already multiple editions of it out (thus a LOT of copies) but it's amazing how much it's gone up in value. The other one is "Bednobs and Broomsticks" which isn't much of a book and I thought was expensive at $50 when I bought it. Now, it's stupid prices.

Minutes to Midnight is already expensive in all editions. You are looking at $250+ at the cheapest. I think I paid $40.
I just spent some time looking online, and the cheapest I could find was US$ 410 for a used copy. Not going to happen. After the holiday weekend in Canada, I'll be hitting the Public Library! Cheers, OtL

It should be pointed out that Monument has 294 pages. That's no ordinary photobook. I think it is worth it. I guess it could be a shocking price if you aren't into photobooks, but honesty, it's a pretty good price these days, As OTL said, $410 for Minutes to Midnight is crazy, and out of reach for me even and I am a collector of sorts.

I just spent some time looking online, and the cheapest I could find was US$ 410 for a used copy. Not going to happen. After the holiday weekend in Canada, I'll be hitting the Public Library! Cheers, OtL
This is about $270 (USD) with shipping

This is about $270 (USD) with shipping
Thanks for the heads-up. I just found online that the Mississauga library system does not list Trent Parke. I'm not saying that Minutes to Midnight is not worth it but as a non-collector, I find the price too high. Cheers, OtL

Thanks for the heads-up. I just found online that the Mississauga library system does not list Trent Parke. I'm not saying that Minutes to Midnight is not worth it but as a non-collector, I find the price too high. Cheers, OtL
Totally understandable.

You might also try any local college/University might have a copy. If they do, you should be able to viewable it in library and they might have means for check out too.

OTL, I doubt the local library will have much to offer. University libraries might (if they have a robust photography program). Photobooks just aren't that popular. The audience is tiny.

Last edited:
University libraries might
The Plot Thickens. The University of Toronto Library service has one reference to Trent Parke: as a contributor to a book on street photography, and that's it. In the meantime, I've been listening to some of his interviews and the man sure has a story to tell. Cheers, OtL

The Plot Thickens. The University of Toronto Library service has one reference to Trent Parke: as a contributor to a book on street photography, and that's it. In the meantime, I've been listening to some of his interviews and the man sure has a story to tell. Cheers, OtL
The way he tells his life story is much more engaging than most, too.

I have a copy of the Little Brown Mushroom Parke book Bedknobs and Broomsticks as well. Had no idea it had blown up. I don't think I've ever even looked at it. It is still in the box. I was thinking of clearing off some bookshelves. Might have to sell it. I have a rule that if I wouldn't buy something at the price I could sell it for, I sell.

I think I find Parke more interesting than his work. I am a big fan of high contrast black and white like Moriyama for example, so I should like his work, but it doesn't do it for me for some reason.

Minutes after Midnight is odd, because their are already multiple editions of it out (thus a LOT of copies) but it's amazing how much it's gone up in value. The other one is "Bednobs and Broomsticks" which isn't much of a book and I thought was expensive at $50 when I bought it. Now, it's stupid prices.

I received mine last week. The presentation, with all the photos spread across the gutter, is not good for viewing the whole photo at once. I have a problem seeing anything properly like this. I cannot imagine why Trent chose to do this. They are ‘bigger’ but at the cost that they are hard to look at. I have all his books, so I’d have bought it anyway, but I won’t be looking at it as much as the others.

I received mine last week. The presentation, with all the photos spread across the gutter, is not good for viewing the whole photo at once. I have a problem seeing anything properly like this. I cannot imagine why Trent chose to do this. They are ‘bigger’ but at the cost that they are hard to look at. I have all his books, so I’d have bought it anyway, but I won’t be looking at it as much as the others.
I would not stress it, you can always sell it later for a nice price. I have to admit it is why I didn't buy this one too.

I would not stress it, you can always sell it later for a nice price. I have to admit it is why I didn't buy this one too.
I'm not stressed. To be clear, I am just unhappy that I can't see the photos, which I want to look at, properly.

I have 2 copies of Dream/Life, so if I needed some cash that would be the one that I sell. Or, maybe, a complete set. I'd have a lot of spare shelf space if I did that.

I'm not stressed. To be clear, I am just unhappy that I can't see the photos, which I want to look at, properly.

I have 2 copies of Dream/Life, so if I needed some cash that would be the one that I sell. Or, maybe, a complete set. I'd have a lot of spare shelf space if I did that.
Sorry, I did not mean stressed in an angry way, but in a lighthearted way. I just mean that if the books format doesn't do it for you, you'll be able to sell it later for a lot more. I also did not like the format of this book, which is why I didn't buy it.

Sorry, I did not mean stressed in an angry way, but in a lighthearted way. I just mean that if the books format doesn't do it for you, you'll be able to sell it later for a lot more. I also did not like the format of this book, which is why I didn't buy it.
No problem. Stressed means something different to me. Yes, I can always sell it, except I mostly hate to sell anything. Except I think I sold my soul once . . . and a Leica-R 35mm Summilux. Have you seen what those go for these days?

2nd Edition of Monument is out from Staneley Braker and it's still rather pricy.

2nd Edition of Monument is out from Staneley Braker and it's still rather pricy.

I pre-ordered the second edition in June, haven't received it yet. I contacted the publisher on November 3rd and they were telling me that are in the process of shipping the second edition soon. Anybody here who pre-ordered the second edition and and already received their book?

Back