Try Edge browser for RFF !

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
3:41 AM
For reasons that I certainly don't understand,

currently Microsoft Edge browser is playing better with RFF than the newest Firefox.

One big improvement is not logging out when switching to the classifieds.

Try it, it seems to work very well for RFF.

Stephen

Yeah, it's a Chromium browser.

More importantly, Firefox is old news and should be abandoned.

https://netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx

No. Firefox is the only mainstream browser without serious privacy concerns. Mozilla has a track record of protecting privacy; Apple, Microsoft, and Google do not. Firefox still serves a very important role in accessing the internet and should be invested in, not abandoned.

I can appreciate the stats regarding Firefox. However, Firefox works fine for me and it is regularly updated so I find it safe to use. But using only the website's stats to make those kind of choices might mean all of us Mac users should abandon our Macs and become Windows users. And we should only be using digital cameras because film cameras are outdated and obsolete!

I don't make up my mind on what browser, operating system or camera to use based only on stats. I base those choices on what works best for my needs. That said, I can still appreciate the fact that Chrome is a good browser and works fine for you. To each his own!

Strongly disagree. Diversity in browser offerings is important for consumers. As others have pointed out, FireFox is by far the best for privacy. Moreover inconsistencies in browser behavior is a great example of why it is such a problem for one browser to dominate the market. The very same thing used to happen in the IE days when Microsoft provided non-standard APIs and behavior to prevent other browsers from entering the market.

which is like saying "film is old news and should be abandoned" or "cameras with optical rangefinders are old new and should be abandoned", neither of which will find much support here.

Personally, I use Firefox as my primary "general browsing" browser both on Windows, MacOS, and Android (phone) and use the new Chromium based Edge on Windows & Android for my web-based email and for YouTube. I also have Brave, Opera & Chrome installed on all 3 OSs, primarily for testing the sites I edit.

currently Microsoft Edge browser is playing better with RFF than the newest Firefox.

Stephen

FWIW, I am using firefox at the moment and am not able to reproduce the issue of being logged out when navigating to the classifieds. However, the connection is not secure in Chrome or in even though the page is served over https.

Am on a Mac desktop and ipad, and for whatever reason, though I use Safari most of the time, my photos look better on Firefox than they do on Safari. Just do. In my case, better=more like they look coming out of Photoshop or LR, more accurately rendered.
YMMV.
So no, not obsolete by any means.

Firefox works fine for me, and I appreciate the privacy aspects. But thanks for the heads up for those who are experiencing problems with RFF's site

Firefox, Safari, and Chromium are the only browser platforms left. There is a real benefit to having more diversity instead of less.

I particularly don't trust Google, so I do my best to leave Chromium based browsers out of my workflow unless I have to.

Sure, okay. you guys can do what you want. FF has had some major security issues over the past few years, but, not my problem. Comparing your browser choice to shooting film is rather silly.

Sure, okay. you guys can do what you want. FF has had some major security issues over the past few years, but, not my problem. Comparing your browser choice to shooting film is rather silly.

They all have pretty broad security issues. They have huge attack surfaces and are relied on more like platforms than anything else.

Put your passwords in a password manager, keep your browser up to date.

Modern js relies on very complicated jit systems, and any piece of code not thoroughly tested and fuzzed is suspect.

Which specific security issue were you referring to with Firefox, I’m very curious which one left you worried.

I'm reading RFF with Firefox without any problems here.
I've been a satisfied Firefox user for over 10 years now.

Chris

Edge IS Good

Edge IS Good

Stephen

I like Edge. I use OneNote (free, OS X version) as a personal research document archive. The OneNote Web page Clipper works seamlessly with Edge.

I use Safari for general browsing and Edge for personal research.

While Edge uses the open-source Chromium project codebase, Edge does not communicate in any way with Google servers. I do not know if this is so should one install Google Chrome Extensions on Edge. Recently Google and Microsoft were generating controversy about using Google Chrome Extensions on Edge (link).

Back