Type of Problems with Off Brand Batteries

Type of Problems with Off Brand Batteries

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
3:40 PM
Please report the type of problems that you have encountered due to using offbrand batteries with your M8 and/or M9. I have decided to shelve the offbrand batteries, but I am interested in knowing more about the negative effects for using them.

If using offbrand batteries can damage the M8 or M9, then we should not be using such batteries.

No name batteries have worked out pretty well for me. I do notice that I do not get as many shots to a charge as the brand name ones.

I have only had the "hot" camera situation 2x. I am getting rid of my off brand batteries as they die off. They certainly do not hold a charge or produce as many exposures as the name brand counterpart.

not for the leica...but on the fujis...
i have 2 sets of off brand...a real no-name that are just crap...they were cheap, very cheap.
i also have a set of promaster betteries that are as good as the fuji brand...they were mid priced, about half of the fuji price.

"These protection devices work in the following ways: The PTC device built into the cell acts as a protection to inhibit high current surges; the circuit interrupt device (CID) opens the electrical path if an excessively high charge voltage raises the internal cell pressure to 10 Bar (150 psi); and the safety vent allows a controlled release of gas in the event of a rapid increase in cell pressure. In addition to the mechanical safeguards, the electronic protection circuit external to the cells opens a solid-state switch if the charge voltage of any cell reaches 4.30V. A fuse cuts the current flow if the skin temperature of the cell approaches 90°C (194°F). To prevent the battery from over-discharging, the control circuit cuts off the current path at about 2.50V/cell. In some applications, the higher inherent safety of the spinel system permits the exclusion of the electric circuit. In such a case, the battery relies wholly on the protection devices that are built into the cell."

Indeed. And this is why good batteries aren't cheap.

Not speaking of how Chinese people (and children) making cheap no-name batteries are treated.

Very cheap no-name batteries should be managed like counterfeit hazardous goods by international trade laws.

Well, IMO.

Just to clarify, the only off brand batteries I've had problems with are for the Leica M8/9.

We need such information.
I am converted already. (still not a Catholic!)
I mean, no off brand batteries for me.

I am more concerned about the possibility of damaging the camera.

It's very unlikely to happen. Worse case, the camera firmware won't want to switch the camera ON in case of confusing/mismatching data coming from the battery chip. This is what happened to you in Italy.

Cheap no-name Li Ion batteries can explode if overheated but this mainly happens when in charge, not when put at use. Yet this is quite rare.

Buy from a vetted dealer as many OEM batteries are forged products - just like memory cards. I buy from B+H and Fotocare. Check your vendor with the camera maker.
Good point. I've read that 75% of Sandisk cards we can buy around (even in street stores) are forged products...

I bought an off-brand one for my Panasonic TZ-3, and the darn thing got warmer than I figured it should while charging. It swelled up in the camera during use. Thought I never would get it out. Put it in the recycle the next day.

PF

I bought an off-brand one for my Panasonic TZ-3, and the darn thing got warmer than I figured it should while charging. It swelled up in the camera during use. Thought I never would get it out. Put it in the recycle the next day.

PF

WOW. This is a reason to throw away such batteries.

I've had off-brand batteries in the past for various cameras. They've never had the capacity and durability of the OEM batteries.

I would not risk a $7000 camera on off brand batteries, ever. I have three Leica OEM batteries for the M9 now. Better a little poorer than risking expensive damage.

G

I've had off-brand batteries in the past for various cameras. They've never had the capacity and durability of the OEM batteries.
I have opposite experience. I generally have zero problems with replacement batteries, and they often have a better capacity than original ones. Leica is one example where the off-brand batteries are not free of problems. (The battery meter display is incorrect.)

There are, of course, many variables in this discussion. For example, I have a 1250 mAh OEM battery for one of my video cameras. The 3300 mAh replacement battery ("Made in China" with no manufacturer info) truly has more than twice the capacity in actual use. This is a fairly extreme example, the two batteries aren't even the same size physically. The replacement is about as much bigger than the original as the promised capacity suggests.

Back