Type of Problems with Off Brand Batteries

Type of Problems with Off Brand Batteries

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have had good luck with them in the past on my Canon 5D and 5DII, as well as the fuji and Olympus cameras I've had. I had a Leica M8.2 and didn't have trouble with them there either. I got a Leica M9 and didn't get off brand batteries because I had read that there were some issues with them. I have a Canon 6D now as well as the wife's 60D that simply will not operate with the off brand that I bought for the 60D. I wonder if the improvements in the processors includes the same sort of programing that I suspect is used in my Epson printer that will not operate with non-Epson cartridges.

If you use an "off brand charger with the off brand battery, you will get a full charge and it will work fine with your M8 (or 9). When my Leica charger died, I bought a Delkin charger and Leica battery plate. It charges both my Leica and so-called off brand (Adorama) batteries. Everything including the camera works fine. BTW, Delkin is a high quality manufacturer and you can buy other plates for other cameras as well and use the same charger..

Only had one off brand battery for a Nikon dslr I had many years ago. No problems with it at all, but believe it was a reputable enough brand, a Hahnel, I think.

Generally I've been lucky in having cameras with very good battery life, kinda spoiled really in that respect, I imagine. My little Ricoh GXR is not so great in terms of battery life, but so far I've not needed a spare, despite looking into potential spares when I first got the camera.

I think my only worry with third party batteries, would be that they would be so cheaply manufactured, that corners were cut, and things in the battery meant to prevent overheating, were done without. Most reputable third party batteries should not have that issue, I suspect. Not sure about the lower charges from third party batteries, but perhaps that is due to the lower power of some batteries, which should be stated on the battery itself.

None of the above is in relation to M8 or M9's with third party batteries, but perhaps the anecdotal experiences above with other brands may be helpful.

I've had off-brand batteries in the past for various cameras. They've never had the capacity and durability of the OEM batteries.

I would not risk a $7000 camera on off brand batteries, ever. I have three Leica OEM batteries for the M9 now. Better a little poorer than risking expensive damage.

G

Exactly. Those who buy quality only cry once.

One of my off-brand batteries sometimes led to corrupted files on my M9 but not my M8.
Yet, an older Leica battery killed my M9 shutter.
Another third-party battery worked fine on both cameras.

Phil Forrest

Back