Uncommon, Rare, and Collector's Delights.

The Pentax-L 43mm 1.9 is a hard to find/rare ltm lens, I think. So is the Rollei 40mm/2.8 ltm.

The Pentax-L 43mm 1.9 is a hard to find/rare ltm lens, I think. So is the Rollei 40mm/2.8 ltm.

I think I am pretty much done with L39 and M42 lenses now. The Cooke is a honey, I've some sweet Canons and I really like a good Jupiter and have some. I am becoming disenchanted with the CV as I am finding them "soulless" and hard compared to the old lenses. The old Jupiters have nice color, not harsh at all. Zeiss.

I use both; old lenses and some modern lenses. They are tools of the trade. Right?
One of my favorite lenses is a Zeiss 5cm 2.0 ltm and a Zeiss 5cm 1.5 ltm. Both lenses are awesome lenses.
The Canon 35/1.5 ltm used to be readily available for sale but it has become "rare" unless you are willing to pay $10,000 for one.

I use both; old lenses and some modern lenses. They are tools of the trade. Right?
One of my favorite lenses is a Zeiss 5cm 2.0 ltm and a Zeiss 5cm 1.5 ltm. Both lenses are awesome lenses.
The Canon 35/1.5 ltm used to be readily available for sale but it has become "rare" unless you are willing to pay $10,000 for one.

I cannot speak for you but for myself I must admit that my lens locker has far outstripped my talent. For the near future it will be all M9/Amotal. Until the Pixii gets here.

Brian gave me many adapted lenses that are unique.
Each is special. Take the Luxon 50/2 for the Paxette. It is RF coupled and in ltm:

05860437-2459-40A5-A24C-7F6214ACFC1D.jpg How about rare, uncommon and uncollected? Mike Eckman wrote he knew of no one collecting Perfex cameras. Well.. I’m on my way. Here’s my new, most likely unused 1943 Perfex Model 22. It sold for $26.16 when new, I bought in on eBay for $35! Very Nice Camera! First roll in now, operation is very sweet.

Bought this super early M2 button rewind with the glass covered fresnel rangefinder window. The gentleman I bought it from bought it in Stockholm 1959 and never got to use it. The double glass variants were only sold in the early production of the M2. Perhaps not super rare but in this condition it might be one of few. Got the collapsible Elmar 2.8 to go with it.

Attachments

• photo115737.jpg
    photo115737.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 5
How about rare, uncommon and uncollected? Mike Eckman wrote he knew of no one collecting Perfex cameras. Well.. I’m on my way. Here’s my new, most likely unused 1943 Perfex Model 22. It sold for $26.16 when new, I bought in on eBay for $35! Very Nice Camera! First roll in now, operation is very sweet.

That thing looks like a pain in the fingers (do you need to use a dime to change that dial on the front?) but it would be worth it just to say that you've used one! Think of the fun of showing up with it at a photo walk and showing it some some beardy hipster with 2 million subscribers on his YouTube analog photography channel, and saying, "Hey, any tips on using this?"

The large knob on the front is for winding and setting theslow speeds. The black line is not a “groove”, just a mark for setting. Each exposure requires winding this knob, and upon exposure, it “unwinds”. All the numbers etc. on the camera and lens are very small. However, the focus distance numbers are big and easy to see. Another interesting thing is that this camera has a removable take up spool and can use a true cassette to cassette film travel. PS the top button front is for the film rewind. Oh, and it has a built in extinction meter....Oh, and it has a Hot Shoe. I’ve modified a much later half case, that took care of the no strap lugs. Nice Camera. Weird to think of it as being made in 1943. Most American industry was either involved in the war effort or mostly shut down. It IS possible the entire Perfex operation was Carl and Joseph Price and Benjamin Edelman. Their output was very low , roughly 5000 per year, from 1938 to 1950. Most likely nearly every part was outsourced, with assembly and finishing done by these men. Doing the math, it would mean each man assembling five cameras per day.....entirely doable.

I had a black paint Perfex a while ago. Not sure what happened to it. I don't remember selling it, but I haven't seen it in years. I also have a Cee-Ay 35 (the last "Perfex") which was only in production for about half a year. That one I've actually shot film through. Same camera reappeared as the Ciro-35, and later the Graflex Ciro-35.

I also have a Clarus. Not at all rare, but not exactly easy to find a working one either. I cleaned and lubed the shutter when I got it, and performs ok except for the 1/1000 shutter speed which caps regardless of how I set the spring tension.
Clarus MS-35 by Berang Berang, on Flickr

The Cee-ay is on my “want list”. There’s one available now for about $350. Might go for it...

Back