Uncommon, Rare, and Collector's Delights.

SimmonBrosCombat.jpg

Simmon Brothers Combat Camera, only about 250 made.

Cool camera! I have never heard of that one, will have to search for it on DuckDuckGo. Well that was disappointing, almost no info online about this camera. I even broke down and used google, still only 2 hits, both with minimal info

It's not much more than a doorstop for me too as it uses obsolete pack film. That's probably why they show up relatively cheap.
I might bother loading it with a single sheet at some point. Or shoot some expired packs.

From what I've gather from the US Army Signal Corps photographers who used it is that they mainly felt that the body was too heavy for the format it shot, compared to the contemporary Speed Graphic/Combat Graphics.

The whole line up of later Leotax bodies can become quite confusing as their designations can seem quite similar. Starting with the TV, released in 1957, which is 1/500 sec and self timer. It was followed in 1958 with the T2, 1/500 sec and no self timer. Then the K3, 1/500 sec, no self timer, no slow speeds. In 1958, the FV was released with 1000/sec top speed and self timer. It was soon followed by the TV2 (Merite), 1500/sec and self timer. This camera was never called the Merite until the T2L (Elite) was released in 1959 which had 1/500/sec and self timer. Last but not least, the final Leotax G was done but very few were sold or produced as Leotax fell victim to the Japanese camera recession of 1960 which took down many companies which had produced cameras through the 50's.

As to the 5cm/F2.8 lens, I can't add much as the description provided pretty much gives it's specs. I know it is a very good lens, as I have one, but truly how much better than the Topcor 5cm/F2, or the very rare Topcon 5cm/F1.8, I can't comment. Love all the Topcor lenses of the period as I have the 3.5cm/F2.8, the two 50's mentioned, a 9cm/F3.5 and a quite rare 135.5cm/F3.5.

Wanted to clarify a couple of misprints in my original text. Obviously, the TV2 (Merite) has a top speed of 1/500 sec and after digging out my T2l (Elite), it does not have a self timer.
Also have a Leotax DIV from the early 50's which has a pretty rare Olympus 4cm/f2.8 lens in LTM, only made for a short time with not many manufactured. Oly Zuiko 1.jpg

Not that exotic, but these are my two contributions: 18 cm f/6.3 CZJ Tele-Tessar K and 3.5 cm f/4.5 CZJ Orthometar, both overhauled by Henry Scherer. Within the limits of uncoated lenses i have found them to be good performers.

Attachments

• photo112951.jpg
    photo112951.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 1
I had to google "Exotic Glass"... and it's not what I thought it would mean...

Those are gorgeous. One of the first Tele-Tessars in Contax mount ever made, and a very rare Orthometer.

This thread has more rare and uncommon lenses and cameras in it than any other that I know of.

I worked with Digital IR sensors in the early 1980s. The RCA IR Scope was picked up Surplus as a Mascot. It is now 80 years old. I picked up the C-3 off Ebay 7 years ago for $65. Both of these use D-Cell batteries, and both work.

I found the instructions for these, "Declassified". I remember an old WW-Ii movie that featured IR signaling lights.

Project Nancy from WW-II, an RCA C-1 and RCA C-3 Infrared Scope.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/Infrar...ncyNov1945.pdf

Not that exotic, but these are my two contributions: 18 cm f/6.3 CZJ Tele-Tessar K and 3.5 cm f/4.5 CZJ Orthometar, both overhauled by Henry Scherer. Within the limits of uncoated lenses i have found them to be good performers.

Just a few serial numbers away/newer, my 18cm/6.3 Tele-Tessar K lenses is black and nickel. I think that the chrome vs black thing is odd, given that Thiele's book on CZJ lenses shows both of these lenses as part of the same batch of 100 completed in April 1933. I have a chrome one too, but serial number is 218 series, much later

Brian, I used this lens on my Sony a7 when we met at Marine Corps Museum in 2015

I had to google "Exotic Glass"... and it's not what I thought it would mean...

Those are gorgeous. One of the first Tele-Tessars in Contax mount ever made, and a very rare Orthometer.

This thread has more rare and uncommon lenses and cameras in it than any other that I know of.

It's interesting that you say that--when Henry Scherer returned the Tele-Tessar K he said that there were some unusual things about it and that he thought that it might have been used for training people in assembly or repair due to some unusual screws. The finish almost looks more like nickel than chrome also. It came to me via eBay from Peru (with some mild fungus) so I suspect that this lens has an interesting history but I will never know what it might be. The Orthometar barrel was a bit beat and focusing was rough when I got it but the overhaul fixed that and fortunately, the glass was in good shape when I got it.

A couple more earlier Topcons, the 35A and 35B. Looked for a long time to acquire these and certainly a lot longer for the 8CM/F5.6 Topcor which was built for them. The cameras are not easy to find in working condition but the lens is next to impossible. Have only ever seen 2-3 in my 25+ yrs of collecting and using. IMG_1129.jpg IMG_1133.jpg

One of the only rare and odd things I own is this Komura 35mm f2.8 Nikon S mount lens and viewfinder. A rare lens even rarer in S mount. Estimating serial numbers from the 2 or 3 other examples I have seen probably only 250 made. A true shame for a great lens that is far better than the Nikon 35mm f2.5.

Attachments

• photo112955.jpg
    photo112955.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 3
Back