Very Early Coated Lenses- the first 10 years from 1935 to 1945.

Some commentary on a couple more Ektra lenses I was fortunate enough to acquire.

First up, the Ektar 90mm f/3.5. This would be the primary portrait or long focus lens of the series. Kodak was very clear in the literature that it is a long focus lens and not a telephoto, whereas the 135mm and 153mm lenses were physically shorter than their focal length and this telephoto lenses.

Kodak also intended to make another fast portrait lens, an 85mm f/1.8 for the Ektra system, but this never left the design stage.

90mm f3.5.png

Anyway, back to the 90mm f/3.5. I expected that this would probably be the weakest performing lens of the Ektra Ektars, it is only a three element air spaced triplet after all.

90mm DG.jpg

In hindsight, I don't know why I had this concern. I've never met a bad performing Kodak Ektar, and the 90mm doesn't deviate from this. I was expecting it to have good center sharpness and probably some softness near the edges. Nope, it's very sharp to the edges and also very contrasty, even wide open. This might actually be my favorite lens from the lineup, I really like how it renders out of focus areas. It's an excellent lens for portraits, if you can see by my less than living subject matter.

Ilford FP4+, f/11
img005.png

Ilford FP4+, f/8
img012.png

Kodak Gold 200, f/4
img021.jpg

Kodak Gold 200, f/5.6
Impromptu flare test, Subjects lit from behind slightly to the left, I took off my lens hood so sunlight was falling directly on the front of the lens. Some flare present in upper left corner, but not bad, and slightly lower contrast overall, but the lens coatings were doing their job.
img023.jpg

Kodak Gold 200, f/3.5
img024.jpg

Next up, the venerable Ektra Ektar 50mm f/1.9.

This was the fast normal lens for the Ektra system, and based on surviving examples, more popular than the 50mm f/3.5. I suppose those who were willing to shell out $235 in 1940s dollars, were also willing to spend an extra $65 to get the faster lens.

50mm f1.9.png

This is a modified double gauss design, with the front element converted into a doublet.

50mm 1.9 DG.jpg

It is similar to, and definitely a contender with the Leica Summitar 50mm f/2 with the benefit of coatings, which the prewar Summitar generally lacked. However it isn't a Summitar copy, as the optical groups are slightly different. The Ektar was also in the design and prototyping stage in 1939 prior to the release of the Summitar.

Objectively, this lens is a touch less sharp than the 50mm f/3.5 and has a bit lower contrast. However, it is leaps and bounds ahead of my uncoated Ektar 47mm f/2.0 on my Bantam Special.

Ilford FP4+, f/5.6
img008.png

Ilford FP4+, f/8
img015.png

Kodak Gold 200, f/2.8
img007.jpg

Kodak Gold 200, f/8
img008.jpg

Kodak Gold 200, f/11
img015.jpg

Back