Vintage Micro 4/3 Cameras

vonfilm

Established
Local time
1:12 AM
I love my Panasonic GF1 which I picked up the body for only $50. It still works great except for the occasional temporary glitch which makes me think it may not last for ever.

In this thread I would really like to hear of the experiences and recommendations of those who use and enjoy the early micro 4/3 bodies that can be picked up for a song.

So, what have you got?

I've wondered about this too. I have been wanting to get a micro 4:3 body and the E-PL1 seems to be under $100 average price for a body w/batt and charger. Most folks seem to like them, even now. With that body I could fit all my Pen F film camera lenses with a simple adapter.

I like the older Panasonic G bodies, they give you an EVF and the G1,2,3,10 can invariably be bought for less than £100. The G3 is a great little camera and I would opine that the 16mp sensor's output is beyond good enough for most peoples needs. It is the combination of the size of the G3 and good output that makes it a winner to me, though I am not so keen on the kit lens. It is the camera I recommend to people wanting to try out a 'better' camera, plus there are now some really great options for not a lot of cash.

...I would really like to hear of the experiences and recommendations of those who use and enjoy the early micro 4/3 bodies that can be picked up for a song.

I once used the Olympus E-p1 and E-p3 as my digital cameras for capturing available light candids at weddings. I loved the images produced by my fast Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, Panasonic 14mm f/2.5, and Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lenses. However, I had to abandon the cameras for commercial work because they broke too often for me. I now use them only for my personal work.

Olympus E-p3 by Narsuitus, on Flickr

I love that grip. Where did you get it? I have an original white E-P1 that I use with a Zuiko 1.2/42mm (original Pen lens). Still love the colors and the camera works like a charm, even after almost 10 years of (intermittent) use. The 12-42 standard lens has long since given up though.

I once used the Olympus E-p1 and E-p3 as my digital cameras for capturing available light candids at weddings. I loved the images produced by my fast Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, Panasonic 14mm f/2.5, and Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lenses. However, I had to abandon the cameras for commercial work because they broke too often for me. I now use them only for my personal work.
Olympus E-p3 by Narsuitus, on Flickr

The major disadvantage for using such a format with lenses that were not made for this format is that the perspectives for such lenses are for double the focal length. So, your 40/1.2 shows a crop for a 80mm lens. In order to get wide angle views we need to use lenses that are made for the M 4/3.

I try to minimize the shortcomings by using the very best lenses I am willing to buy for such a format. The Panasonic Lux 25mm/1.4 is a superb lens, say. I get the view of a 50mm lens, and the camera is AF with IS and 10x focus assist. In many ways, it is "perfect". I can see myself using the M9 with the 50/1.4 Pentax-M (converted to M mount) and the Zeiss Hologon 16/8 while using side by side with the M9 the E-PL1 with the 25/1.4.

I am interested in a micro 4/3 rd's body

I am interested in a micro 4/3 rd's body

Dear Board,

I'd like one with in body IS though. I shoot mostly nature and wildlife pictures and the idea of doubling the focal length while keeping the same aperture has enormous appeal to me. I know you can adapt just about any lens on Earth to a M4/3 rd's camera.

I have a 300mm f2.8 Nikon AF lens but having a 600mm f2.8 lens would make my life a whole lot better. :)

It won't be used to shoot action and I'd probably wind up buying M4/3 rd's prime lenses in wide to normal focal lengths such as a 14mm or 25mm. I know that I will be shooting a lot with a tripod or mono pod because there is no way I'd trust a camera body the size of a deck of cards to hold on to an unsupported 6 pound lens.

Still, I'd like to try. I am willing to spend up to $ 300.00 for a body and battery with a charger. I'm hoping someone can recommend a camera for me, or tell me if I am just windpissing here?

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :)

Hi Tim,
The M 4/3 is near-perfect for what you seem to need for your photography. The cheap models have 12-16 MP, which is enough for 8x10 or 11x14 enlargements or even larger.

I love my Panasonic GF1 which I picked up the body for only $50. It still works great except for the occasional temporary glitch which makes me think it may not last for ever.

In this thread I would really like to hear of the experiences and recommendations of those who use and enjoy the early micro 4/3 bodies that can be picked up for a song.

So, what have you got?

I have, and still use, a Pany G-1. I have the original 14-45 kit zoom which is excellent, far better than the first of the 14-42 lenses that replace it on the G-2.

The only issue I have the the old beast is that it is one of the colored models, rather than black. I can't speak for the black, but the "grippy rubbery" outer surface of the red, and likely other colors, is beginning to break down. It's a bit sticky these days. I've had other stuff (thumb drives, MP3 players, ...) that have come down with the same "cancer".

The thumbdrive on my wife's desk right now is wrapped like a mummy in blue masking tape, but I've yet to find a good solution for my G-1. I've tried various cleaning techniques and have succeeded in small areas, but haven't found a good solution. The pictures a still very good so I still use it despite its ailment.

My E-P1 that I bought in 2012 as a refurb Street Kit (body, 17/2.8, VF-1) has been one of my all-time favorite digital cameras.
It's still being used, and taking excellent photos.
Last year the image stabilization died, but the camera keeps working.
I might try to find a cheap backup body.

I bought the E-PL1 with kit zoom new for $149. The camera alone was selling for $100 new.

Despite not owning one, I've always loved the GX1. Available cheap, but not "a song cheap" these days; it was a nice mix of good image quality (16MP with an AA filter), small size, and pleasant user experience.

I think they make an excellent travel camera for people who prefer to compose on the rear screen rather than an EVF.

When they were discontinued, Adorama was selling bodies for $200. I often kick myself for not picking one up at the time.

Also worth mentioning here: the Pentax Q (the older the better). They are hard to find. I would love to have one of these, as it would be the ideal street camera with my (C-mount) Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 16mm 1:2.

See this RFF thread on the Pentax Q.

Edit: oops, Pentax Q is not a micro 4/3... Sorry for being off topic :-/

I've owned Olympus E-P1, E-P2 and Panasonic G1 cameras. I've also used the Olympus standard 4/3 DSLR system that the Micro 4/3 format killed off. Quality-wise, they are all produced excellent results as long as I did my part. Ergonomically, the original Olympus 4/3 DSLRs had the advantage IMO as well as having better lenses on introduction. There wasn't a lot of M4/3 lenses available when the format was first introduced. Today, there's a really great choice of superb M4/3 lenses that should expand the original utility of those early bodies.

I bought a like new Olympus em10 mk ii with SLR Magic 25 0.95 lens for $300 from Steve Huff. m4/3 never was on my radar but this was too good a deal to pass up.

Sold the lens on craigslist for $450. So the camera cost me negative $150.
Did not want that lens as it was massive, and IMO the point of micro 4/3 is to keep it micro. Since been replaced with the incredible, and small, Olympus primes, as well as the Panny 12-32 zoom as recommended by Ming Thein.

I really like the 7Artisans 25 lens on older Lumix G bodies. Fast aperture and manual focus, a rather “film-like” shooting experience.

Back