Vintage Micro 4/3 Cameras

I agree -perhaps my favourite older Micro 4/3 camera is the Panasonic GF1 too. It has always looked good (which I find to be important enough - the shallow being that I am) and had quite nice handling characteristics and Panasonic cameras have and it seems, always also have had nice image rendering in my experience which goes back to the Panasonic L1.

Something about the software I presume, given the sensors are likely to be industry standard ones (though I have never looked into it). The one shortcoming of the GF1 is the poor, low resolution accessory add-on eye-level EVF if that's what you want (and sometimes I certainly do). Nevertheless it can be made to work though it is ultra low resolution by any standards - even those applying back then. Just treat it as a means to compose and frame the image and forget about how well or poorly it represents the image.

Nevertheless the camera works well with its standard LCD screen and handles nicely including with MF lenses. (Bearing in mind too that the camera does not have a rotating LCD or any new-fangled nonsense of that sort). Here is an image shot with the Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 on this camera. Pretty nice output, I say. (Love the bokeh on that lens by the way).

When I want to carry nothing more than a small, near pocketable µ4/3 camera, my GF1 with a Sigma 30mm f2.8 is the camera and lens I will often reach for even today.

Fiefy by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Despite not owning one, I've always loved the GX1. Available cheap, but not "a song cheap" these days; it was a nice mix of good image quality (16MP with an AA filter), small size, and pleasant user experience.

I think they make an excellent travel camera for people who prefer to compose on the rear screen rather than an EVF.

When they were discontinued, Adorama was selling bodies for $200. I often kick myself for not picking one up at the time.

I picked up a GX1 as a backup when my GX7 was getting repaired for falling off the tripod and shattering the LCD, and can confirm it's a good little camera. Really hard to tell the difference between the two in normal lighting conditions, though I much prefer shooting with the GX7, especially when shooting adapted lenses.

This model does have a common problem with the LCD delaminating; mine's doing so around the edges and so doesn't yet affect the display but over more time, may well. I hate screen protectors but it seemed prudent to use one here.

I've been absolutely sold on micro 4/3 as a format since I got my used Olympus E-PM1 in late 2016. It's almost five years after the release date and I think it's still a great buy. I spent $75 at KEH, and I think I've learned more about photography from this camera, than from a dSLR. Live histogram and focus magnification are now must-have tools. Going back to a dSLR feels a bit of a throwback.

Last edited:
Also worth mentioning here: the Pentax Q (the older the better). They are hard to find. I would love to have one of these, as it would be the ideal street camera with my (C-mount) Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 16mm 1:2.

See this RFF thread on the Pentax Q.

Edit: oops, Pentax Q is not a micro 4/3... Sorry for being off topic :-/

I do have an original Pentax Q in white with the 01 and 02 lenses. It is a great little camera. A big plus for me is that I can use my collection of D Mount Cine lenses. I like to simulate Regular 8 movies with the Kern-Paillard lenses.

Way back when I purchased the G1 new and then a GF1. I used the G1 with MF lenses mostly C mount and a some M mounts. Sold it all eventually and I'm back with another GF1 with 12-32 and a GH2 with 20/1.7. I really like the GF1 B&W images.

I still use my E-P1 and my E-PL1 when I'm in a Micro 4/3 mood, or for fun C-mount lenses. I originally bought the E-PL1 used to be a cheap ($75) spare body if the E-P1 died on me, but both cameras work perfectly fine and still give great results.

I also had a travel-worn blue-colored G1 which I had also bought refurbished. I gifted to a friend who was interested in trying a manual-focus setup. As far as I know it's also still in good working order.

Regardless of vintage status, my EP-2 works well. I really should use it more. Its good at macro using adpated lenses (like the micro-Nikkor 55/2.8).

I also use it for long telephoto wildlife stuff, but even with a tripod I often get motion blur. I got a Panasonic telephoto zoom (45-200mm?) that has IS. I also think the EP-2 has IS in the body. I still manage blur, but not every shot :). It doesn't help that many of my lenses are slow. The Panasonic is about 5.6 wide open at the long end. My fastest telephoto that can be adapted is the Canon FDn 300/4, it works pretty good but 600mm equivalent begs for motion blur. I guess its a good thing I'm not an avid wildlife photographer...

Bought a GH-1 when they were first out. There was a group who figured out how to hack the video software on the camera and when you combined the hacked GH-1 with cine lenses, we were able to get some pretty nice footage out of it.

Pulled it out over the weekend because my niece asked me to shoot some video of her wedding, and I don't have a video camera. Was surprised that the GH-1 still worked and still produced nice footage (even with the kit 14-140 lens, as I sold off my cine lenses about eight years ago).

Good little cameras, and very well made.

Best,
-Tim

Regardless of vintage status, my EP-2 works well. I really should use it more. Its good at macro using adpated lenses (like the micro-Nikkor 55/2.8).

I also use it for long telephoto wildlife stuff, but even with a tripod I often get motion blur. I got a Panasonic telephoto zoom (45-200mm?) that has IS. I also think the EP-2 has IS in the body. I still manage blur, but not every shot :). It doesn't help that many of my lenses are slow. The Panasonic is about 5.6 wide open at the long end. My fastest telephoto that can be adapted is the Canon FDn 300/4, it works pretty good but 600mm equivalent begs for motion blur. I guess its a good thing I'm not an avid wildlife photographer...

Dear rfaspen,

Actually, I think that m4/3's would work well for me if I got a body with wifi capability? I have bird feeders scattered in my yard that get plenty of visitors. But grabbing a camera and sneaking outside to get in position to get a decent shot isn't easy to do when you are 6' 5" and weigh 325 pounds like me.

I could set a wifi capable camera up outside on a tripod, focus it, and shoot remotely from inside the house with my phone or Ipad. I may have to try that!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :)

M4/3 is vintage? lol

48796466541_21f68d463e_o.jpg

Today was my first day https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169573

My E-P1, which I bought brand new, is still my camera. I bought the Oly 25/1.8 and 45/1.8 lenses when they became available. Not shopping for a new body any time soon. I bought my son a used E-P1 for $50 maybe 5 years ago, but he moved on to a much better Lumix G for the video and I now have a spare E-P1 body for when mine fails. The E-P1 was a fairly expensive "flagship" body when it came out and it still feels that way. Also, the 12MP sensor is still quite good at ISO 200.

I would consider the original EM5 to have "vintage" status by now. I never had one, but had the original EM10 for a while. I decided to pick up an EM5 for only $149 a few weeks ago, but it turned out to have a shutter problem, shot black frames often. I changed for a used EM5II, much less vintage so doesn't belong in this thread. Even though the 16MP sensor was pretty long in the tooth even at the release of the EM5II.

Ah, remember this thread. Finally settled on the mark 1 EM10 in September 2019 from KEH. The first one they sent would shoot a 5-6 stop underexposed first frame after it was switched on. Sent it back as they has another one and that one has worked fine. The camera is from 2014 (I think) which is practically stone age in digital years.

But, I look at it this way....everybody drives a used car.

I am currently using the Olympus E-P2 and E-Pl1.
The E-PL1 has a Panasonic Summilux 25/1.4 while the E-P2 has a Canon 50/1.4 ltm.
I use the E-PL1 in AF mode, Both cameras have IS and both are small in size.
Both cameras have magnified focus capabilities.

I am currently using the Olympus E-P2 and E-Pl1.
The E-PL1 has a Panasonic Summilux 25/1.4 while the E-P2 has a Canon 50/1.4 ltm.
I use the E-PL1 in AF mode, Both cameras have IS and both are small in size.
Both cameras have magnified focus capabilities.

How is AF of E-PL1 with Panasonic Summilux 25/1.4 ?
I have third party zoom lens on this camera and AF is hit and miss. Camera selects correct AF point instantly, but then something goes wrong.

Ah, remember this thread. Finally settled on the mark 1 EM10 in September 2019 from KEH. The first one they sent would shoot a 5-6 stop underexposed first frame after it was switched on. Sent it back as they has another one and that one has worked fine. The camera is from 2014 (I think) which is practically stone age in digital years.

But, I look at it this way....everybody drives a used car.

Exactly the same thing with my EM5. I suppose they shared the same shutter, it was not the most robust. My Mk I EM10 also had a slight spill which locked up the shutter and had to be repaired out of warranty.

I think subsequent OMD shutters got a bit sturdier?

Back