Voigtländer is amazing!

kshapero

South Florida Man
Local time
11:08 PM
My first CV lens was the 40/1.4 lens bought in 2006.Since then I have had many more CV lenses for M mount as well as for Nikon. They have never let me down. But go on Commander Gandy's website (cameraquest.com). The offerings from CV is astounding and the quality is just getting better and better. Just saying........I am not not employed or paid by My K or Stephen.:cool:

I bought yesterday the 50 F1.5 Heliar Classic VM, it’s a beautiful object itself, with a nice feeling in the hands. I only took a few test pictures with it but I’m very impressed by the results. Great courageous ideas for a special lens!

Cosina Voigtlander is a shining light in an otherwise largely sterile photographic landscape. If nothing else, they’re one of the few lens manufacturers that embraces diversity and character in their products, rather than an obsessive pursuit of absolute perfection.

I have no need for a 50/f1.0 Nokton, 50/f1.5 Heliar, 50/f1.5 Nokton, 50/f2.0 APO-Lanthar and 50/f3.5 Heliar, but it just tickles me pink that there’s someone out there happy to make them all...

Without doubt, a company *of* photography nerds and *for* photography nerds.

not to hijack the thread, but the old voigtlander lenses for prominent were good. Voigtlander 50/1.5 for Prominent on Sony A7III, wide open. I have one relatively modern CV lens, the LTM version of the Nokton 50/1.5, which is a fine lens in its own right.

Back in 2006 or so, Stephen's website was a regular stop, where I was drool over the lenses with exotic names like Color Skopar, Super Wide Heliar, Nokton, and others. Years later, I have and enjoy many of these lenses, and the mystique of their names only adds to their enjoyment.

Back when I was shooting Leica M6 cameras, I bought the 35/2.5 Color Skopar with LTM to M adapter to tide me over until I could buy the 35 Summicron. That Color Skopar actually yielded results I liked just as well as the Leica lens when I finally got it. I also had the LTM to M adapted 21/4 Color Skopar that I really loved using.

Today, I don't use Leicas anymore. My "rangefinders" are digital Fuji X-Pro2 bodies. I now use the updated versions of those two Color Skopars along with a couple of other Voigtlanders on adapters for Fuji. While I mostly use the AF Fujinons due to my bad vision, I'm always impressed with the photos I get when using the Voigtlanders. I'm having my cataracts done the end of this month and I'm looking forward to having better vision. When that happens, I'll certainly use these great lenses more often.

I've owned a bunch over the years and enjoyed them all. Such a great alternative, for M users especially.

That said -- and call me superficial -- I've come to really dislike the shiny chrome hood mount that most of them have. So much so that I will not buy another. Same goes for ZMs. It's an ugly design that makes no sense, especially if using round hoods, which most of them do. I like using no hood but can't stand the look of that chrome ring on a black lens.

John

Congrats Robert !

i bought several CV lenses over the years, ending with the superb CV 50/1. I don’t recall why:p
I bought the CV 50/1.1. I like using the older style Heliar 50/2 and 50/3.5. I never got the CV 50/1.5 maybe because I like using the CZJ 50/1.5.

Totally agree. Can’t wait to see what they come out with next. The 40/2.8 in LTM is just an amazing lens in every way and I never thought I’d get to buy another new LTM lens.

After using many Cosina M lenses, I would never spend Leica lens money again. I still own the 35mm Color Skopar 2.5 and the latest 50mm 3.5.

Last edited:
If you don't have $$$$ for single lens and not into made in China much, CV is the only choice for new RF lens, with CZM been on abandoned side.
Kudos to them for supporting M mount.
They really need to come back with digital rangefinder body.

I've owned a bunch over the years and enjoyed them all. Such a great alternative, for M users especially.

That said -- and call me superficial -- I've come to really dislike the shiny chrome hood mount that most of them have. So much so that I will not buy another. Same goes for ZMs. It's an ugly design that makes no sense, especially if using round hoods, which most of them do. I like using no hood but can't stand the look of that chrome ring on a black lens.

John

I like the chrome ring design. I also have several Zeiss ZF.2 lenses for my Nikons that have the chrome ring. All great lenses so the chrome ring sets them off as being kinda classy.;)

And let's not forget that they have also produced outstanding lenses in other mounts, m4/3, Nikon F, Canon, Pentax 42, Nikon/Contax RF, Sony, Fuji and probably others that I am forgetting. The 58mm and 40mm for SLRs are outstanding.

Like you all, I am now firmly in the CV camp for my lens selection. Price to performance is very high. In fact, in some cases, I prefer the look of the Voigtlander option, and the build is generally impeccable. Seems that they have largely solves issues such as off-centering, and now with lenses like the Noktons, APO-Lanthars, and Ultrons, they can complete with Leica for IQ and renderign supremacy as well. I currently own zero modern Leica glass, due to cost, and have the 28 ultron, 35 and 50 APO Lanthars, and 35 Nokton III and 50 Nokton f/1 Asph. Happy as I could be with that kit, which, in total, would cost the price of 1 Summilux.

Steve may have different reasons, but for me limitations would be 1) Availability, they are no longer made and good clean examples are ever more difficult to find, 2) Price is very high compared to other newer offerings, 3) Very glowy when shot wide open against strong light.

That said, I shot with one for several years while working as a photojournalist and liked the lens very much, but the reasons above keep me from buying one.

Back