Voigtländer is amazing!

Steve may have different reasons, but for me limitations would be 1) Availability, they are no longer made and good clean examples are ever more difficult to find, 2) Price is very high compared to other newer offerings, 3) Very glowy when shot wide open against strong light.

That said, I shot with one for several years while working as a photojournalist and liked the lens very much, but the reasons above keep me from buying one.

But the pre-asph 35mm Summilux was made in many versions, also optically. The first Leitz Summilux 35mm lenses were made around 1960. There were many optical and mechanically differences between the lenses. I remember that the German made 35mm Summilux was much more expensive than the Canadian ones, with the exception of the steel rims. It is in al honesty impossible to generalize about all these versions.

Erik.

Forgive my curiosity, but what are the limitations of the pre-asph Summilux, in your opinion?

Erik.

Mainly the pre-asph minimum focusing distance of 1.0 meter and the the lack of "normal" filter threads. You probably know, the Voigtlander focuses down to 0.7m and takes "normal" 43mm screw-in filters. For a semi-wide angle, the extra bit of close focusing is helpful with my photography, and I shoot only B&W in the land of the sun, so pretty much a color filter stays on the lens. I don't like using hoods when they're not needed. Ha, ha, not even going mention pricing. I suspect (from the reports of others) the Voigt's are a bit sharper wide open, and don't have as much as that crazy glow of the earlier Summilux's that people either love or hate. Though the Voigt. single coated does glow a little.

Soon I should have a late pre-asph in my hands for direct comparison. Love character lenses! I only have an aspherical version now. In my limited experience, Leica optics are a bit overrated, when price/cost taken into consideration, but they're good inflation hedges!

I've never been quite interested in the speculative nature of alternative assets and whether they "hold their value." I always knew that my personal satisfaction would be from using them as I please without worrying about small nicks and scratches that may impact the resell value.

Voigtlander as we've all recognized has hit a really great intersection of price and performance. I can buy mint 2nd hand lenses if I'm patient and not worry if there's a bit of paint loss or a small ding here and there. The quality of the photos will never be in question with most post-2019 Voigtlander lenses.

Voigtlander falls a bit into this semi-precious disposable category where it's obviously not a throw away (arguably a TT Artisans/7Artisans area), but not so precious that it's irreplaceable if something happens.

And that's my ultra-practical justification for Voigtlander haha.

Like you all, I am now firmly in the CV camp for my lens selection. Price to performance is very high. In fact, in some cases, I prefer the look of the Voigtlander option, and the build is generally impeccable. Seems that they have largely solves issues such as off-centering, and now with lenses like the Noktons, APO-Lanthars, and Ultrons, they can complete with Leica for IQ and renderign supremacy as well. I currently own zero modern Leica glass, due to cost, and have the 28 ultron, 35 and 50 APO Lanthars, and 35 Nokton III and 50 Nokton f/1 Asph. Happy as I could be with that kit, which, in total, would cost the price of 1 Summilux.

Indeed, the new offerings by Leica, a company now run by luxury marketers, fancies a lens = small compact car. A "bridge too far" for most and whilst a $15k, 75 Noctilux in indeed a technological wonder, it is (monetarily and weight-wise) overkill for most of us. Here is where Cosina brilliantly slips in--without compromise, I might add.

Voigtlander falls a bit into this semi-precious disposable category where it's obviously not a throw away (arguably a TT Artisans/7Artisans area), but not so precious that it's irreplaceable if something happens.

Respectfully but vigorously disagree. Guess you haven't shot a tiny CV 3,5/28 on B&W film or monochrome sensor yet...

In the past year I’ve gotten the 40mm f/1.2 VM and the 40mm f/2 for Nikon and they’re both stupendous. I cannot imagine I’d be happier with the performance of a Leica lens, if Leica made a competing lens. The VM lens handles wonderfully, renders smoothly where I want it smooth and sharp where I want it sharp. The Nikon lens is fast, sharp, light, and is a borderline macro lens to boot. The first few times I shot with the 40mm f/2 I really got the sense that Cosina has made something unique (a small, fast, sharp, ultra close focusing wide normal) and they must have some real photography nerds on staff who know exactly what lenses can’t be found elsewhere.

I also have several Zeiss ZM lenses, a Bessa R4A, a GF670, and a GF670W and they’re all stupendous.

Am I the only one who thinks Cosina would sell a ton of Bessa R cameras if they brought them back to market for <$1000? I believe they sold for ~$650 when they were last sold new.

I need an R3 or an R2 to go with my VM 40mm 1.2..

Respectfully but vigorously disagree. Guess you haven't shot a tiny CV 3,5/28 on B&W film or monochrome sensor yet...

God, don't. I was late to the party on that lens and grabbed one for about £500 a couple of years ago. I've absolutely fallen in love with the thing since I got it and on a whim looked at the prices for it now on eBay.

Better believe I'm going to weep if something happens to mine in the future.

When Voigtlander started making lenses they were pretty bland. Never had any interest in them. Asme with their bodies. Then around the time they came out with the 50/1.2 I started to pay closer attention. Now the biggest problem I have with Voigtlander is which one to buy? Lol. I am kind of torn between 4 different 50s right now and I can't make up my mind. I guess that is a good thing. Paradoxically there has never been a better time to use a rangefinder. Who would have thought that would be the case 20 years ago?

When Voigtlander started making lenses they were pretty bland. Never had any interest in them. Asme with their bodies. Then around the time they came out with the 50/1.2 I started to pay closer attention. Now the biggest problem I have with Voigtlander is which one to buy? Lol. I am kind of torn between 4 different 50s right now and I can't make up my mind. I guess that is a good thing. Paradoxically there has never been a better time to use a rangefinder. Who would have thought that would be the case 20 years ago?

how were they bland before 50/1.2??
they had amazing skopars, ultron 35/1.7 in ltm is amazing and compact lens (unlike later 35/1.4 which was lovely sharp and compact but with huge distortion). in fact their whole ltm line was awesome.

I have one but to my point, I can go on eBay and replace one with relative ease from a Japanese seller. But beyond that single example, I can't name any other Voigtlander lenses that regularly sell over retail beyond maybe initial launch hype (50mm f/1).

I have one but to my point, I can go on eBay and replace one with relative ease from a Japanese seller. But beyond that single example, I can't name any other Voigtlander lenses that regularly sell over retail beyond maybe initial launch hype (50mm f/1).

If the cost or rather, residual value is your point, you're mostly right. But I can name several that sell for more: CV SL I, F-mount 2,5/125, 4/180. Even the 2/40, 2,5/75 and 3,5/90 go for more than their original retail.
'

Back