*Image resized smaller than original

Mike

DSC08882.JPG

Sony A7II (ILCE-7M2)
Voigtländer Color-Skopar 35mm f2.5 C-type LTM lens
Yokohama, Japan - June 2021
*Image resized smaller than original

Mike

This needs a bump. The 35 Color Skopar is a great lens in so many ways. I use the current M-mount version on a Fuji X-Pro2 with a TTArtisan adapter. I had one of these in LTM back when I used film Leicas but I was seduced by the 35 Summicron. Today, using it on digital, it's a wonderful normal (equiv. 52mm, more or less).

White shoes.
_XPA0009-1-2.jpg

Dog (or something like one).

_XPA0015-1-1.jpg

Bingley; said:
Hoodoo Portrait, Bryce Canyon NP. Leica M-E Type 240, Voigtlander Skopar 35mm f2.5 PI:

Hi Steve,

How does the 35 skopar compare to your 35 f2 Ultron ?
both seem to give Beautiful Imagery

Hi Steve,

How does the 35 skopar compare to your 35 f2 Ultron ?
both seem to give Beautiful Imagery

Oh boy… that’s a tough one. They’re both great lenses. I like the handling of the Ultron better (I have the first version, w/ the focusing stick) and having f.2 gives you more options. The 35 Skopar is a good all purpose lens. I have the original pancake version, so I can use it on my LTM cameras as well as M mount. I haven’t compared the two to see if one is better corrected than the other. But the Ultron 35/2.0 is really good at every aperture, wide open as well as stopped down. Of course, I now realize that I’ve never shot the Ultron on film… I’ve used it exclusively on digital cameras, where it really shines. I’m headed to Paris next week for a couple of weeks including a photo workshop… maybe I’ll take the Skopar 35 as well as the Ultron, to compare a bit. Stay tuned…

Bottom line, though: you have been shooting with the Ultron 35 so you know how good it is. The Skopar is tons of value for the money, and if you’re good w/ a maximum aperture of f2.5 it’ll give you close to Summicron performance for a fraction of the price.

I think the Skopar benefits from being so very tiny and light - it makes it really pleasant to take out when you're not expecting to need the wider max aperture. Basically the thing about the Skopar is that you give up nothing in terms of really fine rendering for the relatively low price and small size. That's what I like about it, however I have decided to put my LTM/M kit up on the classifieds since I am all in on Pentax right now. :)

I think the Skopar benefits from being so very tiny and light - it makes it really pleasant to take out when you're not expecting to need the wider max aperture. Basically the thing about the Skopar is that you give up nothing in terms of really fine rendering for the relatively low price and small size. That's what I like about it, however I have decided to put my LTM/M kit up on the classifieds since I am all in on Pentax right now. :)

Good points. I do a lot of hiking w/ cameras, so small and light is important. In June 2021, we went on a road trip to southern Utah, including Bryce Canyon and Grand Staircase Escalante. I used the Skopar 35 quite a bit, both on digital and film Leica rangefinders. I was pleased w/ the images. I think it works well with both digital and film media. I'm leaving for Paris next week, and will take it along, mainly for use on my CL digital; but I may also shoot it on my M 240 too, to compare w/ the Ultron 35/2.0. Helen Hill's question above has prompted me to drill down and shoot both 35s and see what develops...

A couple of film photos with the Skopar 35: from the bike path above Roosevelt Beach, Half Moon Bay, San Mateo County coast. Leica IIIc, Voigtlander Color Skopar 35/f2.5 PI, TMax 400 ISO 200:

030421 IIIcCV3525P1TMY200(21).jpg 030421 IIIcCV3525P1TMY200(28).jpg

Lots of great pictures here! I’m in the market for a CV 35mm and I’m leaning towards the color skopar ahead of the Ultron. Silly question but, for those using a digital M camera, is there any advantage in coding the lens (either one)? I’m not bothered about EXIF data, just if coding would help with vignetting or distortion.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ian

Back